Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

If there was a vacancy at Reading FC

Struggling and Brendan Rogers (bright young thing last season) now under pressure.

So if he was sacked which ex-Reading Legend might be in the running for the job?

And would you be happy to see him go.

Comments

• Graeme Murty can do what he likes, I don't really care.
  • Henry probably means Steve Coppell - can't think of anyone else he can be alluding to.
  • No, and I think he'd be a c**t if he did after how much faith a number of supporters, and especially the board have put in him over the past 12 months.
  • edited October 2009
    Mischievous, Henry!

Obviously Southgate would be a shoe-in for the job...
  • edited October 2009
    1. The board didn't put that much faith in Parky- he spent the close season not sure from one day to the next whether he had a job or not (so the fact that he got this squad together and motivated is all the more remarkable).

2. The fans were not unanimously behind him - I knew I was going out on a limb in arguing that he should be given a chance at the end of last season.

3. Takeover speculation is still rife at Charlton, with any new owner likely to want their own man in charge of the first team.

Reading might seem like a decent option, and in many ways I wouldn't blame him. I'd be absolutely gutted, though, as I'm sure most of the players would be - and most of the supporters now.

BUT at the moment there is not a vacancy at Reading FC, so long may that continue....
  • I'm pretty sure Parky sees it as "having a job to do" and I don't think he'd walk out on us.

Sadly if a takeover occurred I'm not sure he'd be treated with the same loyalty

hopefully it's all hypothetical
  • I was thinking of Pardew actually : - )
  • edited October 2009
    I think it's like any person working - particularly in a "risky" indutry. If you have options you'd be dumb not to look at them. If he gets the call and decides it's the right job for him, then I'd wish him well. I'd hope that an element of loyalty would be part of that decision, but equally he won't have particularly happy memories of some of the flack he got from the stands.

It's not like he lives in London or has any particular roots here. Reading might be an easier commute.
  • yep if reading have a team capable of staying up and are in dire straits near the bottom of the championship and they want someone to get them to second in league one with a dismal attempt at staying up then we have the man for them

i wouldn't want him to leave btw he has to get us above 3rd bottom of the championship and then i'll think he has improved us !
  • He could go with my support and thanks. And I think every current Charlton fan would wish him well. But I honestly don't think Steve Brown was there long enough to be regarded as a legend.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I was thinking of Pardew actually : - )
    that's who I thought of lol
  • no chance they'd want him unless they fancy a season in League One
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]yep if reading have a team capable of staying up and are in dire straits near the bottom of the championship and they want someone to get them to second in league one with a dismal attempt at staying up then we have the man for them

The difference of course being that we didn't have a team capable of staying up. We had key players injured, a side cobbled together with too many loan players, no confidence and hopeless tactics. None of that was down to Parkinson.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]yep if reading have a team capable of staying up and are in dire straits near the bottom of the championship and they want someone to get them to second in league one with a dismal attempt at staying up then we have the man for them

The difference of course being that we didn't have a team capable of staying up. We had key players injured, a side cobbled together with too many loan players, no confidence and hopeless tactics. None of that was down to Parkinson.
    well over half the season of it kind of was.... But the other less than half was Pardew -

I think we have the right man at the helm but we cant expect him to get promoted with a few youth players alone!
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]yep if reading have a team capable of staying up and are in dire straits near the bottom of the championship and they want someone to get them to second in league one with a dismal attempt at staying up then we have the man for them

The manager for more than half the games has no impact on the tactics? Please explain.
  • but he was coach/assistant for less than half the games!