Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Darren Bent

edited September 2006 in General Charlton
Yet another England game goes by with top scoting Englishman currently plying his trade in the premiership being overlooked. Not by the world class skills of Wayne Rooney or the proven international pedigree of Michael Owen. But by Peter Crouch, Jermaine Defoe and Andrew Johnson. Are these players definitely better than Darren?

There is of course the argument that if he played for a "bigger" club he would be involved. Has the hand injury robbed Bent him of being 100% match fit compared to those chosen: unlikely given that Defoe has hardly featured for Spurs plus Dowie's new regime's strong emphasis on fitness. However, Maclaren did talk up prior to the game how sharp Johnson and Defoe looked in training, without mentioning Bent. Luke Young also lost out to Phil Neville because of his supposed attacking qualities. anyone who saw the game will now that if that were the case either Lennon or Wright-Phillips would have been better options.

What is clear is that Maclaren/Venables do not fancy Bent. Many years ago when the Home Internationals were a regular part of the fixture list then those on the edge of selection got a chance to shine. Similarly, I recall Gary Lineker first got his chance for England going on a summer tour when the so-called bigger stars were unavailable to travel.

His non-selection does save us a few quid in not paying Ipswich the additional payment due under the transfer agreement should he play in a full competitive international. Maclaren has told his players to go away and do it for their clubs to stay inhis team and squad. What more can Bent realistically do, playing for Charlton?

Comments

• Options
    Unfortunately, all the time we're winning games 4 and 5 nil, nothing will change.....

How Johnson got above Bent in the pecking order is baffling. Did McClaren sense we were going to win a penalty?
  • Options
    Sven's love-child also previously said that he wouldn't play players in a position that they didn't play for their actual Club and yet he played Neville at right-back and I don't think he's even played for Everton this season leaving Youngy out of the final eighteen. As for Benty, well. All it needs is for the media to big-up Johnson cause he'd scored two goals for a massive Club like Everton and McLaren jumps. I feel so sorry for Benty but I fear he'll be overlooked until he joins a 'big' Club and then I bet he'll start the next game.
  • Options
    I've said this before and was mightily peed off when Johnson went on- My only hope is that we (England) have a good half time lead and he decides to do the same again, but this time give Darren a chance.

I really hope this happens!
  • Options
    Dream on I think (sadly) the best hope Dazza has is if one of the strikers picks up an injury. Even with Rooney, Owen, Ahton out the best he can do is make the squad. I hope it has a positive effect on him, makes him want to prove the barstewards wrong when he returns rather than pisses him off and leads him to make a transfer request.
  • Options
    More likely seeing Johnson as Defoe replacement and Bent as Crouch's. If Crouch gets a knock they'll throw in Bent as he's a bit bigger and can hold the ball up...

Well it's the only way i can justify his non appearance in my head
  • Options
    In which case why not didn't MacLaren bring him on for a few minutes on Saturday as preparation. My guess is that Crouch as the experienced/senior striker will go the distance with Defoe running off him and when he gets knackered AJ will come on and there'll be two subs in midfield, as it's away he'll likely replace one of the defenders and keep a flat defensive back four and grind out a result. Bent doing bench warming exercises, still at least he'll get a stamp in his passport for Macedonia.
  • Options
    He wanted to change the system to 5 in midfield on Saturday - Neville and Downing off one sub left. Give the media what they want or the starting player with least match fitness a breather.

The only way he'll play tomorrow is if crouch takes a knock.
  • Options
    Large said
    Sven's love-child also previously said that he wouldn't play players in a position that they didn't play for their actual Club and yet he played Neville at right-back and I don't think he's even played for Everton this season leaving Youngy out of the final eighteen.

FYI Neville has been playing at right back for Everton this season. Did you not see the ball he put in for AJ's goal against the yids last week?
  • Options
    Home Internationals!

Bring them back please :-) - perhaps once every four years
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    [cite]Posted By: Salad Spinner[/cite]Home Internationals!

Bring them back please :-) - perhaps once every four years

Or even every two years? The ones in between world cups and Euro Championships.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Got to be better than playing friendlys against Jamaica and "competitive" games against whoveer we played last weekend.

The weakest nations should have a two leg playoff every two years (idea I saw in the Guardian recently).

- the winners get into the Euro /World Cup qualifying groups;
    - the losers have to wait two years to have their chance again in the next playoffs against the bottom team from each qualifying group.
  • Options
    The WC and European Championships qualifiers definitely need restructuring. All those teams that finish bottom of their groups should have to qualify to play in the next round of qualifiers, a sort of Inter-Toto cup for international teams with the two top teams winning a place in the qualifiers, that would create a bit more competition amongst the weaker/smaller teams. it would also mean one less round of internationals per year and give the players more rest.
  • Options
    Here is the Guardian article (not sure how to a proper link):

http://football.guardian.co.uk/Columnists/Column/0,,1860027,00.html