Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Do We Need A Director Of Football?

edited September 2009 in General Charlton
Not just any old DOF though. It has to be someone:

Who understands this Division and what it takes to get promoted.
Who will act as a "sounding board" when things aren't going right.
Who knows a footballer when he sees one and who will take the SOLE burden of decision making away from Parky when it comes to hiring and firing.
Who will have the automatic respect of the Fans, Board, Players and Coaching Staff because of his achievements in the game.
Who won't be a threat to Parky.
Who is Charlton through and through.

I don't have to mention his name and the only issue to my mind may be persuading him to leave Bristol Rovers.

Comments

• Options
    Chris Dickson would be a rubbish Director of Football
  • Options
    No I think it would be money for nothing cause rifts and what would happen when we achieved promotion he would have effectively have made himself redundant.

Cant think of any clubs where this kind of set up has been successful let alone harmonious in fact often the reverse.

The criteria you state should be the sole domain of the manager imo.
  • Options
    It's difficult to see how you would square such a position with the role the board seems to have given Steve Waggott.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]It's difficult to see how you would square such a position with the role the board seems to have given Steve Waggott.

Think my above post applies here also to a degree .
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]It's difficult to see how you would square such a position with the role the board seems to have given Steve Waggott.

Mmmmm, interesting point - but I have trouble in understanding and justifying the full impact of the role of the Geordie Smiler anyway.
  • Options
    in a word NO - to many chiefs and not enough indians !!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]No I think it would be money for nothing cause rifts and what would happen when we achieved promotion he would have effectively have made himself redundant.

Cant think of any clubs where this kind of set up has been successful let alone harmonious in fact often the reverse.

The criteria you state should be the sole domain of the manager imo.

Is this not what he's doing at Rovers and they don't seem to have done too badly do they?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Chris Dickson would be a rubbish Director of Football

I've been sussed - had to think of a way of getting Dicko back to the Club.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]Is this not what he's doing at Rovers and they don't seem to have done too badly do they?
    We've done better though - we have more points than them.
  • Options

I have to say I don't know anything about Mr Waggott's credentials Airman and it would hardly be fair for me to ask you whether you feel his CV matches that of the proposed Candidate for the criteria set above.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]Is this not what he's doing at Rovers and they don't seem to have done too badly do they?
    We've done better though - we have more points than them.

Not in the last three games we haven't (but then that's just a coincidence isn't it) and after Saturday I fear we may well be behind them.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited September 2009
    I'd rather base our performance on the whole season so far than the past 3 games but then again we can all twist stats to suit our arguments, myself included.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]I'd rather base our performance on the whole season so far than the past 3 games but then again we can all twist stats to suit our arguments, myself included.

Totally agree. We have played 5 of the bottom 6 in our 10 games though ;-)
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I dont see the need for top heavy middle management at football clubs as eltham points out too many chiefs. The club recently made redundancies and i really cant see how a guru figure is required at a club in our situation. If for example curbs was to return on a low salary similar role perhaps a sort of ambassasador role then maybe id see some positives in then but even then i think it would just be a PR exercise.

We are a football club and you need the money men at the top with good business sense and knowledge (and interest) of football, workers at the club dealing with the day to day ops and football side of things eg coaching and scouting and then playing squad and a bloody good manager.

Anything else is a luxury and often a detrimental one and i dont see the point.

The manager should direct the football side of things.
  • Options
    If you have a strong and established manager, you don't need a director of football. Think Curbs, and his excellent working rekationship with Richard Murray. That didn't mean that the manager didn't need help with the paperwork etc., which was what Andrew Mills' position was meant to be. (Not meaning to open a kettle of fish here.)

Parky definitely needed a director of football last season, and may even had welcomed it. It seems to work better when a director of football is involved in hiring the manager. Bringing someone in now may not work because of that dynamic.

Peter Varney never had role overseeing Curbs, and each man was allowed to go about their own business (and for the most part, did it very well, IMO).

This thread calls into question what Waggott's role actually is, and what are his credentials to oversee the football playing operation.
    Or perhaps this explains why a League 1 club has a Chief Executive, a Deputy Chief Executive and a Managing Director.
    Is Waggott's role really the director of football, with the Managing Director actually occupying Varney's former role? So what is the role of the Deputy Chief Exexcutive?

I doubt a League 1 club that already seems very top heavy in upper management needs to add a director of football into the mix. But that is not to suggest a reshuffling or re-classification couldn't work to the club's benefit.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: American_Addick[/cite]
    This thread calls into question what Waggott's role actually is, and what are his credentials to oversee the football playing operation.
    Or perhaps this explains why a League 1 club has a Chief Executive, a Deputy Chief Executive and a Managing Director.
    Is Waggott's role really the director of football, with the Managing Director actually occupying Varney's former role? So what is the role of the Deputy Chief Exexcutive?

I doubt a League 1 club that already seems very top heavy in upper management needs to add a director of football into the mix. But that is not to suggest a reshuffling or re-classification couldn't work to the club's benefit.

Steve Waggott doesn't appear to have much involvement in the running of the business, which would support that theory.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I have to confess that I am somewhat clueless when it comes to Mr Waggott's success in overseeing the football side of a Club. Does it compare favourably with Lennie's?
  • Options
    I thought the first post was actually referring to Keith Peacock. He's the man I'd like to see back involved in the football side of things.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]Not just any old DOF though. It has to be someone:

Who knows a footballer when he sees one and who will take the SOLE burden of decision making away from Parky when it comes to hiring and firing.
    Who will have the automatic respect of the Fans, Board, Players and Coaching Staff because of his achievements in the game.

I don't have to mention his name and the only issue to my mind may be persuading him to leave Bristol Rovers.

Forget my original suggestion of bringing Lennie in.

Instead, if we don't end up going up this season, how 'bout bringing in Lennie and his Manager Paul Trollope.

It probably has escaped most people but Rovers, whilst finishing below us, are set to end up 9th. That is two places better than last season which, having lost a 30 goal a season man in Lambert and having had to live on an attendance of 6,000 to 7,000 per match, is an achievement in itself. They haven't spent a penny of Lambert's money and in the last four seasons they've spent in total £350,000 of which £200,000 was when signing Lambert from Rochdale. Not a bad bit of business that one.

No one is better placed than Lennie in understanding what it takes to run a club on a limited budget and to get the best out of players at this level. After all, Rovers don't have too many players of the ability of Bailey, Shelvey, Racon, Sam, Richardson, Semedo etc etc in the sense that so many either have or will play at a much higher level than they are currently at. Would this partnership have done worse with those players at their disposal than Parky has?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bring back Andrew Mills?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]Would this partnership have done worse with those players at their disposal than Parky has?
    Don't know.
  • Options
    I don't think you should go backwards, Ok lennie did a great job with us but that was 20 years ago. We all thought it would be good getting Uncle Les back. It did not work out.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DPFC[/cite]I don't think you should go backwards, Ok lennie did a great job with us but that was 20 years ago. We all thought it would be good getting Uncle Les back. It did not work out.

That rules Curbs out then.

Lennie was our Manager but is now a DOR and is used to working with that particular Manager in that role. Uncle Les was never a Manager and has now gone back to what he does best. At Southampton.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]Not just any old DOF though. It has to be someone:

Exactly a year on. Waggot's gone. Lennie's now available and still meets the criteria set. We desperately need a boost and a voive of experience but that is not to say that we should necessarily sack Parky now. Just give him a helping hand by offering Lennie say a 3 month contract and take things from there.

Always assuming Lennie wants it that is.
  • Options
    Can we afford another wage when we couldn't afford a sub keeper?

Wikipedia says lennie's working for my loccal club, carshalton athletic
  • Options
    Dont see the point in paying two people to do the job one man should be able to do. If i cant do my job they dont get someone in to help me they get someone in instead of me.
  • Options
    If there is a day of judgement, I will have three questions

1.Who was Jack the Ripper

2. Who shot JFK

3. What does a director of football actually do?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]Not just any old DOF though. It has to be someone:

I don't have to mention his name and the only issue to my mind may be persuading him to leave Bristol Rovers.[/quote]

Exactly a year on. Waggot's gone. Lennie's now available and still meets the criteria set. We desperately need a boost and a voive of experience but that is not to say that we should necessarily sack Parky now. Just give him a helping hand by offering Lennie say a 3 month contract and take things from there.

Always assuming Lennie wants it that is.[/quote]

He applied for Parkys job when pards was sacked
  • Options
    We had an interview with Lennie on Charlton Live this evening, he loves this club and would happily come back