Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

career change, any ideas?

Me and my mate at work are extremely bored with the construction industry and being electricians in general. And we have been discussing a career change. We have no money so cant start up a business of any sort evan though we have come up with loads of good ones like a posh pie company. Any ideas? Or any one out there wanting to give us both a job for minimal hours for 40k a year?

Comments

• Options
    Not sure what the earnings will be like (turnover may build up slowly) but you could do a course to do these HIPS certs on houses. Property game is slow at the moment but by the time you are up and running hopefully it will be recovered. Using this as your base you could then branch off using your construction experience (and some research) to advise on ecological issues with housing; insulation, heat exchangers, glass types etc.
  • Options
    Bloody hell, wasn't expecting that sensible a reply so quickly. That doesn't sound like to bad an idea at first reading. Might look into that after lunch
  • Options
    The bloke who done my house hips evaluation charge £180 quid and was there 10 minutes!!
    Construction as a whole is slow and boring at the mo, so many people looking to change but if you see it out and it comes back the relationships you build with companies now should be fruitfull.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    This link is related to home energy grants.

http://www.homeenergygrants.com/Contents/Recruitment.asp
  • Options
    Don't want to piss on anyones parade, but the people making most of the money from hips are the people training mugs who've been hit by the recession and want a quick fix... Before you do anything to rash, go and speak to some people who already have the cert and ask a couple of estate agents what they do, I think most estate agents have the cert and as such dont employ any of these surveyors.
    Just proceed with caution.
    Best of luck though.
  • Options
    become an architect, mines charging a fortune for drawing up plans for a one story extension.
  • Options
    Can people really live on just £40k a year...........?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SpicedAddick[/cite]Don't want to piss on anyones parade, but the people making most of the money from hips are the people training mugs who've been hit by the recession and want a quick fix... Before you do anything to rash, go and speak to some people who already have the cert and ask a couple of estate agents what they do, I think most estate agents have the cert and as such dont employ any of these surveyors.
    Best of luck though.
    Best piece of advice I've ever read on here, hands down. Beware of any 'new industry' that starts advertising courses in papers and on the telly giving you a load of old spiel about how much you can earn doing it. I speak from personal experience, having worked in IT for donkeys years - the industry that is most rife with bullshit claims from training providers.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Can people really live on just £40k a year...........?
    You wind up tool...
  • Options
    stay where you are for the next year or so, perhaps with a mind to changing after that. Gradually build up your skills in another sector, probably stating the obvious but now isnt a good time to move.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Can people really live on just £40k a year...........?
    You wind up tool...

You know I can't resist it!
  • Options
    Not sure hips will be here after a change in government, they seem to offer very little other than added cost to a seller. Bit risky really, plus so many people are moving into this area already that an over supply situation is likely to occur soon leading to price reductions anyway so the super profits days on this will (as normal) be short lived.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: SpicedAddick[/cite]Don't want to piss on anyones parade, but the people making most of the money from hips are the people training mugs who've been hit by the recession and want a quick fix... Before you do anything to rash, go and speak to some people who already have the cert and ask a couple of estate agents what they do, I think most estate agents have the cert and as such dont employ any of these surveyors.
    Best of luck though.
    Best piece of advice I've ever read on here, hands down. Beware of any 'new industry' that starts advertising courses in papers and on the telly giving you a load of old spiel about how much you can earn doing it. I speak from personal experience, having worked in IT for donkeys years - the industry that is most rife with bullshit claims from training providers.

Nicest compliment I've recived on CL. cheers.

Nearly did one of these courses last year when I was between things and changed my mind. Since then I haven't met any millionaire assessors.
  • Options

I read it as 40k between the two of them ;-)
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]become an architect, mines charging a fortune for drawing up plans for a one story extension.

It must be difficult to add to an existing book when you are an architect rather than an author.....

Sorry :-)

Jimmy Melrose would slaughter you though for that on past form...
  • Options
    Still stuck here then. I can see the valley from where i am working at the moment.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]become an architect, mines charging a fortune for drawing up plans for a one story extension.

Drawing them myself for that reason.
    Autocad isnt hard to use and house extentions are not that complex. So I would say its in most peoples skills to do a few measured drawings.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    [cite]Posted By: SpicedAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SpicedAddick[/cite]Don't want to piss on anyones parade, but the people making most of the money from hips are the people training mugs who've been hit by the recession and want a quick fix... Before you do anything to rash, go and speak to some people who already have the cert and ask a couple of estate agents what they do, I think most estate agents have the cert and as such dont employ any of these surveyors.
    Best of luck though.

Nicest compliment I've recived on CL. cheers.

Nearly did one of these courses last year when I was between things and changed my mind. Since then I haven't met any millionaire assessors.

I'm actually doing some training on this in a few weeks as setting up my own company consulting for my Dads firm. He can provide me with work and contacts galore. It's just the start for me as I am keen to get involved in the engineering and sustainable homes world.

I'm not doing HIPs but from research I've been doing for the last few months it is recommended to investigate thoroughly

good luck with whatever you choose
  • Options

Haha -reminds me of Pierre Van Hooidonk.
    '£7000 a week might be ok for a homeless person, but not for an international striker'
  • Options
    Not with my lifestyle you can't.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Prostitution
  • Options
    Linesman
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Linesman

Funny that ...Our linesman Saturday was a prostitute ;-)
  • Options
    A prostitute in pimps shades
  • Options
    do the knowledge?
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Train driver? on S.E trains you could take lots of your CL chums to work. I'd suggest tram driver but you'd have to go to Blackpool for that! ( croydon doesn't count )
  • Options
    You could open a bicycle repair shop in Beijing. Or even a laundrette next door to a brothel !
  • Options
    Centre half for CAFC.
  • Options
    Find your self someone who's qualified and undertake the "Strong Interest Inventory". It'll give you a good idea of the sort of things that will interest you. Failing that, go to the library and read up on the HOLLAND method of work classification.
  • Options
    hang around a few months and there may be a top job going at The Valley.