Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rob Elliot.......England's number 1?

edited September 2009 in General Charlton
I think Rob Elliot has the pottential to someday be in the England squad in a few years.
I hate to say it but I think some club in the Premiership will buy him in the near future and when he gets his break Mr Fabio Capello will see the quality in him.
I hardly see him make a mistake, the saves he makes make me think how does he do that and his throws well he must be related to Peter Schmeichal lol.

Comments

• Options
    Don't think so, as he plays for ROI.
  • Options
    Did you go on Saturday?
  • Options
    Already played for the Irish U19 team according to Wiki although I don't remember it and it's not in the handbook
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]Don't think so, as he plays for ROI.
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Already played for the Irish U19 team according to Wiki although I don't remember it and it's not in the handbook

neither do I. Anyway does playing for U19's & U21's count ? Thought I read recently that some player was thinking of switching to Scotland yet he'd played U21's for Engl;and. May be wrong though.
  • Options
    His improvement down the years has been great, remember not long ago he was considered second best to Randolph.

However there will always be Hart, Carson, Foster and others ahead of him for England places imho, even if he keeps on getting better.

Could become a bit of a Charlton legend though, and may be in line for a senior Ireland cap or 2.
  • Options
    I hardly see him make a mistake, the saves he makes make me think how does he do that and his throws well he must be related to Peter Schmeichal lol.

He has made a few mistakes - his decision making on which cross to come out for and when to stay on his line needs to improve, and he could communicate a little better with his CBs - several times I've seen him and Llera going for the same ball. That said he has gotten away with the mistakes this season. However he's improving all the time, but as with Jonjo he's at least two years off playing prem football regularly and he's better off learning his craft here than sitting on the bench or in the stands and getting the odd start and going nowhere.
  • Options
    He is going through a learning process at the moment so patience is required and he does make quite a lot of mistakes in my opinion, but given time could be a good Championship level keeper.

I dont let the fact that he supports Charlton cloud my judgement.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]

neither do I. Anyway does playing for U19's & U21's count ? Thought I read recently that some player was thinking of switching to Scotland yet he'd played U21's for Engl;and. May be wrong though.

He did play for ROI youth, although that doesn't 'count'. He could theoretically switch to play for England in the future.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]He is going through a learning process at the moment so patience is required and he does make quite a lot of mistakes in my opinion, but given time could be a good Championship level keeper.

I dont let the fact that he supports Charlton cloud my judgement.

My thoughts, lets give him time to learn his trade before hyping him up. Well proven as a shot stopper but needs to work on crosses, particularly if they are angled across the penalty area.
  • Options
    Good coz given time i think he'll be in with a shout
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For a young keeper he is certainly a prospect - not the finished article but certainly improving.

Not sure about England (or ROI for that matter) just yet but who knows
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Thought I read recently that some player was thinking of switching to Scotland yet he'd played U21's for Engl;and. May be wrong though.

I think with U21 caps it depends on the games you've played in, whether they were friendlies or competitive matches. Pretty sure Andy Goram played for England U21's before he switched to Scotland, as did Dominic Matteo.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PeakieRocket[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Thought I read recently that some player was thinking of switching to Scotland yet he'd played U21's for Engl;and. May be wrong though.

I think with U21 caps it depends on the games you've played in, whether they were friendlies or competitive matches. Pretty sure Andy Goram played for England U21's before he switched to Scotland, as did Dominic Matteo.

andy Goram was English and Scottish. FACT

(two Andy Gorams, there's only 2 andy gorams)
  • Options

That young Hearts winger, can't remember his name.
  • Options
    This is a werid one cos what bout Eduardo playing for Croatia is he a case in point.
  • Options
    I dont think Eduardo ever represented Brazil at any level.

He's Brazilian by birth and (i believe) parenting, but has spent much of his life in Croatia and therefore qualifies for Croatian citizenship. He took them up on this because he felt he stood more chance of playing international football if he was croatian.

Elliot is obviously a local lad, yet has an irish grandparent or somthing
  • Options
    he's good....but he ain't that good ! (yet)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: PeakieRocket[/cite]

andy Goram was English and Scottish. FACT

(two Andy Gorams, there's only 2 andy gorams)
    That chant always makes me smile!!
  • Options
    He could easily break into ROI sqaud as number 2 or 3 choice if he is playing on championship, also Given may fancy retiring from internationals after next world cup or at least 2012 euros so reckon Elliot has potential to be a squad keeper (westwood at cov is a great keeper and he will be new no1)
  • Options
    Usually young keepers you see that catch the eye have unbelievable reflexes. I never though that of Elliot, I though he had a strong easy going temprement and was good on crosses. That is most unusual as virtually all young good keepers I've seen have proven to be bad at crosses. This season Elliot has started to produce reaction saves that have shocked me. The combination he has is better than say Carson and Robinson when they emerged. It is most unusual in a young goalie.

The only keeper better than him that I saw at a young age is Kirkland, and he had a positional error for shots and runs across his body; something that Carson has but isn't blessed with as much talent and brains as Kirkland to solve it. Maybe it's premature but I haven't been more excited by a Charlton player since Parker, and that includes Shelvey who's talented but not quite effective in his position; something clearly Elliot is.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2009
    you must be watching a different keeper to me colin ... he is as bad a keeper as i've seen in a long time at judging whether to come or not to come to flap at a cross.... that said he has made a couple of brilliant reflex saves this season and last season he never impressed me when he had ample opportunity to do so ... still all about opinions
  • Options
    What like Kiely who was shit and fucked it up by not coming at all; great goalie terrible on crosses saved at first by good defenders. Ai he does flap at times but he comes at the right time and he often get's a positive contact. Robinson was stunning as a shot stopper at Leeds but flight a cross into him and he do a wild dervish dance around the penalty spot. Keepers are generally very poor on crosses at first, Elliot is good with mistakes. With his positional sense I think he'll only get better. Still that's my oppinion and coming from a goalie who couldn't catch a grashopper cross, but thinks he know how to do it!
  • Options
    I must be watching a different game as everyone says he "flaps" at crosses but I'm just not seeing that.

He comes (unlike Deano who rarely did) and he either catches or punches away. Not seen many that he misses or worst of all gettiing caught in no man's land having started to come and then changed his mind.
  • Options
    FFS...errrr, when do goalies usually 'emerge'? Not at Robbies young age! It is surely an accepted 'fact' that goalkeepers get better with age, Deano was not in the prem from the start of his career. We are especially lucky to have Robbie for a number of reasons....who else eh? Shay Given? Petr Cech?...how many other goalkeepers out there would actually do better service to Charlton right now? If you are thinking there are some who can be better by 10 or 15 per cent forget it. I will accept the inevitable mistakes because the pluses outweigh the minuses, and yes, I reckon Robbie may be directly culpable in some defeats to come, but I have faith in him. Robbie is one of the really good things about Charlton at the moment....er hang on, gotcha, the detractors would prefer Weaver!!!
  • Options
    Plays for Ireland at "A" level.
  • Options
    Haven't read all the posts yet so forgive me if this as been said.... I think he would make a fine olympic keeper
  • Options
    Hey Uncle,
    Any Irish blood in Jonjo?
    He could follow in the footsteps of Kins and Matty (World Cup Hero) Holland.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I see Robbie progressing on a gradual upward curve.

I was quite impressed by the rookie keeper who stepped up midway through last season, but he was a bit weak on timing for crosses and positioning, facing direct free kicks from the edge of the box.

But compared to last seasons total inexperience, this lad has come on by leaps and bounds, game by game.
    If he makes an occasional misjudgement, so do all keepers - but that's all part of his learning.

Coming for crosses has improved greatly too - and his defenders know when he's coming and when he's not.
    And his reflex shot stopping is as good as most keepers in the Prem.

He's now beginning to command his box and his positioning is excellent.
    Surely the foundation of a sound goalkeeper.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I think the career comparison with Deano is telling.

By the time Kiely came to us he had played nearly 350 league game and all but one season (the previous) had been in the lower divisions.

He came to us for the Championship season during which he was 29!

He was nearly 30 before he played a top flight match.

Robbie was 23 in April. He has played a total of 44 league games with Notts Co., Accrington and Charlton including this season according the Rothmans and scored no goals!!!

Will be play as a full international? Who can tell? Foster, Robinson, Green, etc all have weaknesses and are older. Given is getting on? I've no idea who else, other than Randolph there is available for Eire (why are they never called that anymore?).

There are plenty of examples of young keepers being tipped for glory but not living up to the billing. Weaver is one and Mervyn Day was another. Neither were bad keepers and both had good careers but never went on to be regular internationals.

Rob, like Shelvey, can only benefit from playing every week in a winning side. Only time will tell how far he can go but right now IMHO he's doing his job pretty well. Maybe that is because the strikers are not as good in this division so he has a fraction more time or the shots are less well placed but he is not costing us lots of goals.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SpicedAddick[/cite]Hey Uncle,
    Any Irish blood in Jonjo?
    He could follow in the footsteps of Kins and Matty (World Cup Hero) Holland.

Somewhere down the line there is, but he's named after the jockey not cos he's Irish, much prefer him playing for England though thanks, he'll be a world cup hero for them and hopefully an Olympic one too