Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Blackpool

edited September 2009 in Other Football and Sports
Have just been looking through the championship table and just wanted to retract an earlier state ment i made on a thread about League one teams being in the championship. Blackpool have impressed me allot this season not just result wise but the way they are playing football isw actually very entertaining good fluid passing (not quite arsenal) but they just seem to get better by the game and are improving.

A solid 2-0 win over posh yday means they are now 5th and gunning for playoffs lol. Also although away days at Blackpool have not been happy scoreline wise (especially last season) i have always had good times up there though, tiny ground, but good crowd and good nights out after. Enjoyed my days up there hope they do well and hopefully we will get another trip up there in the cup this season.

Comments

• edited September 2009
    The Seasiders are my 2nd side and have to say it comes as no suprise at all that they are doing as well as they are, Blackpool teams are generally well drilled and give good accounts of themselves. They have the potential to exceed on the recent achievements of Burnley and Hull and with a little more financial backing and a 4 sided stadium Bloomfield Road can be a fortress that not to many Championsip sides do to well at. Who knows Blackpool could be in the Premier League a year from now, given the likes that occupy the lower half of that league it is not beyond the realm of possibility!
    Oh and two ex Addicks scored for t' Pool yesterday too!!
  • And they have a charlton connection with Euell, Rachubka and Bouazza! Fair play to them, thought they would struggle but Holloway has started very well
  • [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]The Seasiders are my 2nd side and have to say it comes as no suprise at all that they are doing as well as they are, Blackpool teams are generally well drilled and give good accounts of themselves. They have the potential to exceed on the recent achievements of Burnley and Hull and with a little more financial backing and a 4 sided stadium Bloomfield Road can be a fortress that not to many Championsip sides do to well at. Who knows Blackpool could be in the Premier League a year from now, given the likes that occupy the lower half of that league it is not beyond the realm of possibility!
    Oh and two ex Addicks scored for t' Pool yesterday too!!

Yea i am with you on this one just wanted to thank them for two great away days when we were in the champ. I agree they could defo be up ther with Burnley and Hull before long. The only differnece between those two clubs and t'pool is the stadiums you have Turfmoore at 22,546 KC Stadium at 25,504 and then Blackpool at 9,731 not really on the same scale is it. But fair play to them i hope they do well would be well funny to see a team with only 9,731 sellout in the prem :-)
  • They are adding to their 3 sides as we speak which will up their capacity more than somewhat,(although I agree it needs something in the region of 20k+ to be of basic Premier League standard) one day Burnley will have to bring Turf Moor into the 20th century never mid the 21st, I think some of the seats are still wooden and in need of replacement. I am sure if Blackpool went up their board would look to expand as soon as is possible. Bloomfield Road is similar to Loftus Road in it's compactness and could generate a difficult atmosphere to any opponent.
  • [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]They are adding to their 3 sides as we speak which will up their capacity more than somewhat,(although I agree it needs something in the region of 20k+ to be of basic Premier League standard) one day Burnley will have to bring Turf Moor into the 20th century never mid the 21st, I think some of the seats are still wooden and in need of replacement. I am sure if Blackpool went up their board would look to expand as soon as is possible. Bloomfield Road is similar to Loftus Road in it's compactness and could generate a difficult atmosphere to any opponent.

Yea true Turf Moor is old skool wonderful noise and atmos and that but yea last season i had a wooden seat. I thought that for one of the smaller grounds in the champ the noise and atmos was good for an atttendance of only about 8,000 that day. am just really impressed with the way they are going atm long may it continue for them as i said had some good times up there.
  • Just had another thought if you compared them with say Barnsley as an away day then Blackpool are leagues ahead. Just because the locals are reasonably friendly and welcoming but you go to a place like Barnsley and they are the most arrogant bunch of loosers i have ever had the displeasure of coming across Bristols another one of those (not Rovers City). But Blackpool good fans good club good football good luck to them.
  • Their ground is a poxy place. Must be a nightmare for a lot of sides just due to the wind and how exposed the place is.

One of their goals against us where a punt just sailed and sailed off and over Weavers head. You wouldn't have that weapon at many grounds!
  • [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Their ground is a poxy place. Must be a nightmare for a lot of sides just due to the wind and how exposed the place is.

One of their goals against us where a punt just sailed and sailed off and over Weavers head. You wouldn't have that weapon at many grounds!

Hahaha yea they must be trained how to use the wind to their advantage.
  • Also just watching the Football league show highlights and Bouazza's goal for them was pretty good tight angle good strike.
  • The wind whistles in from the Irish sea, just geography really, if you can take advantage of it why not?! Opposition teams must prepare for these home advantages like pitches with slopes etc, and be prepared to counterbalance them.
    I think Blackpool will do well this year and Holloway appears to have his mojo back.
  • Sponsored links:

• I hope your right Pilchard and with the way they have started im sure they will. I also think you a right about opposition teams doing their research about other clubs when they play away if you do enough research about these kinds of things e.g. the wind at Bloomfiled Road then you can use to your advantage.
  • absolutely ;o)
  • I wonder if you know if they plan to extend their stadium because this season they are bidding to be one of the top champ clubs and if they do not win promotion this year it may only be a few seasons and Hull VS Blackpool could be a prem fixture.

This is hypathetically speaking of course.
  • edited September 2009
    They are filling in the end which was open and I know they have had a few issues regarding funding that end. I know the Blackpool fans were having a bit of a whinge at the board for being a bit slow out of the blocks to do the building work but it looks near completion now so it will add a few thousand to the capacity. I think- in a way Blackpool as a team have grown far quicker than their board expected because they have rebuilt the ground to a standard that is great for the lower 2 divisions but needs a bit more to be Championship/Prem standard. It is easy to forget that they were in the bottom tier in 2001and have practically rebuilt the ground and been promoted twice. They don't get the credit they have deserved for what they have done on a relative shoestring budget. I believe they can go up but they will probably pass Hull on the way.
  • Holloway has always been a top manager, even at Leicester his record was not that bad (they just drew a shit load), read his autobiography and he seems a real genuine guy and as we all know hilarious as well. Good to see Euell get another goal
  • edited September 2009
    Holloway is a decent chap if a bit nutty at times, this season Blackpool are getting him at his best -long may it continue.
  • [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]They are filling in the end which was open and I know they have had a few issues regarding funding that end. I know the Blackpool fans were having a bit of a whinge at the board for being a bit slow out of the blocks to do the building work but it looks near completion now so it will add a few thousand to the capacity. I think- in a way Blackpool as a team have grown far quicker than their board expected because they have rebuilt the ground to a standard that is great for the lower 2 divisions but needs a bit more to be Championship/Prem standard. It is easy to forget that they were in the bottom tier in 2001and have practically rebuilt the ground and been promoted twice. They don't get the credit they have deserved for what they have done on a relative shoestring budget. I believe they can go up but they will probably pass Hull on the way.

Yea once again the fact they were almost non league a few seasons ago had slipped my mind. Holloway seems like hes a top man and got his head screwed on. Also i hope they do pass Hull aswell as think Phill Brown is A-class Wanker.
  • Good Luck to them.
    Good to see teams emerge from lower divisions.
  • [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]Good Luck to them.
    Good to see teams emerge from lower divisions.

Charlton ? ;0)
  • Took the words..........
  • Sponsored links:

• Had an absolute brilliant away weekend up there kindly organised by suzi.

Great fun!
  • Shooters Hill.... Did not understand the post/comment I was just commenting on a team that was once great having emerged from tough times...... bit like Charlton did and will again.........
    Conversely, in 1982–83, Blackpool finished four places from the bottom of the entire Football League, their lowest-ever ranking in the competition, and were only saved from relegation to the Alliance Premier League (now the Conference) because the re-election system voted in their favour. Twelve years earlier, the club was playing in English football's top flight.
    Ian Holloway was appointed as the club's manager in May 2009. He succeeded Simon Grayson, who left the club for Leeds United and who guided Blackpool to promotion to The Championship in 2007....
  • WSSWSS
    edited September 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]Had a whale of a time up there kindly organised by suzi.

Great fun!
  • [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]Holloway is a decent chap if a bit nutty at times, this season Blackpool are getting him at his best -long may it continue.

thoughts his after match quotes were great :

"We are in the top six but so what? It's a great position to be in (fifth) but in a marathon we have run the first hundred yards.

"I'm not worried about our position, more about who can play in our defence on Tuesday.

"If this was a first date they haven't even taken our order yet, the night might turn out to be rubbish, she might walk out on me. Who's to say what will happen?
  • I am a big fan of Holloway, not just because of the great comments he makes at times, but also because of the way he has juggled a pressure job with all the family problems he has faced and supported ... one of the good guys in my opinion, top man.
  • Well found large thats great. Wish Parky had a bit more personallity but if we keep winning i aint going to complain. But would be nice if he made similar comments to this.
  • I am quite happy with the understated way in which Parky goes about his business, look at the 2 managers at the top of League 1 and both are pretty modest guys, Simon Grayson is a very good emerging talent and Parky is doing very well thus far. Look at the bottom at Alan Pardew and you will get justification for the phrase "the empty vessells make the loudest noise"!!
  • Yea Simon Grayson i think could well be England Manager one day he is a work in progress atm but doing very very well and i like him. Parky i have now warmed too and think allot of now. Your Pardew comment is spot on though mate and brought a smile to my face.
  • Glad to have been of service mate!
  • Heh heh

A good weekends 'Sharking' had up there eh?