Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How much of it is "upstairs"?

Jerome Thomas is very good at football. But he's not a very good footballer. What I mean is that he is one of many, many players who have every ounce of skill needed to "make it" at the very top; but fails because he lacks the common sense, nous, brain-power or simple mental agility to apply himself properly to the game. If he was smarter, he'd be better.

The fact is, there are some very, very good players not playing regularly for top-four sides. In every division. And in most sports. In cricket, for instance, players are considered good enough, only when they can demonstrate the three Ts: Technique, Telent and Temperament. Technique is obvious; talent is the abillity to demonstrate your technique in the most stressful of circumstances (when you're up against it, tired and the conditions are against you) and temperament is the un-defined brain power that goes into making the smart decisions all the time, on and off the pitch.

Luke Young was good at football throughout his time at Charlton. But only when he changed his mental attitude (following a drink driving conviction) did he become a better footballer so that he was able to be picked for England.

So the question is, how much of a player's success is down to his mental - as opposed to footballing - abilities?

Comments

• Options
    43% ?
  • Options
    The short answer is, in my view, quite a lot. Describing it as 'mental' is a drastic over-simplification.

There are all sorts of things involved that make up the psychological elements to performance EG:

motivation to succeed.
    Reaction to criticism (from fans, manager, other players, the press etc)
    Ability to cope with pressure

A sports psychologist can work with a team or an individual to help them improve performance and can make a big difference but you still need the talent to get anywhere.
  • Options
    Lets face it, at Charlton we have had our fair share of players who seemed to be a bit short of gray matter.

Players like JT, Jeffers, Carlton Cole etc. They forget the hard work that they had to put into getting a start in the game once the big bright lights shine on them. Once the cash starts comong in, they seem intent on spending it and living the dream life outside of football. They forget it is the football that gets them the money in the first place.

Yet we have a very good example and role model in JonJo how to act and behave. He seems to know that he has it all thanks to his skills and dedication to the game.
  • Options
    It's everything. Just look at Paul Gascoigne for proof of that.

Gazza could have been the best English player since Bobby Charlton but what did his career amount to in the end? One FAC winners medal and a glut of Jockball trophies.

Compare him to Frank Lampard - who has not got half of Gazza's talent - who has won everything apart from the CL and even then he has at least played in the Final and consistently in the latter stages of the tournament.

The difference is that although Lampard has been a bit of a lair in his time and is no cleanskin he does at least know that he has to look after himself and his body if he wants to play at the top level and that football is his profession not just something he does at the weekend.
  • Options
    but what about beckham? hes a bit of a plank but had a very good football career.,
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: carlsberg[/cite]but what about beckham? hes a bit of a plank but had a very good football career.,

I can't stand Beckham but he is no plank, that's for sure.

He has looked after himself brilliantly and is still capable of playing at the highest level even at 34 years of age.
  • Options
    I like kigelia's different categories. I'd add the following (and probably more):
    Ability to concentrate for 90+ minutes.
    Ability to cope with physical discomfort / pain.
    Ability to perform well when the team is losing (for me this is the main difference between a good and a great player).
    Belief in own abilities - even when a more considered view might say that you are going to lose.
    Understanding that the tiniest little victory (say getting a goal kick instead of a corner) can alter the course of a game - this leads us back to 90+ minutes of concentration.