Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bloody....

edited September 2009 in Not Sports Related
Now is this an offensive word to use?

I had an interview yesterday and got feedback just now. They are asking 2 people back out of 8 or so people and i was 3rd choice.

Other than both those two people having been doing the exact job that was advertised, one of the things the woman pointed out was my use of the word "bloody" in the interview. As in "its a bloody hard time out there for construction companies at the moment"...

Now, am I just too common or was this guy a prude??

Comments

• He's a bloody prude if you ask me...
  • edited September 2009
    Dunno how old you are but I'm 40 and by no means a prude but I still consider the word a swear word and that others would too, so use it as such
  • while i'm not, i hope a prude, i wouldn't use the word if being interviewed by somebody i didn't know and even if i did know them, i would probably save it for an occassion outside of work.
  • [cite]Posted By: sillav nitram[/cite]while i'm not, i hope a prude, i wouldn't use the word if being interviewed by somebody i didn't know and even if i did know them, i would probably save it for an occassion outside of work.

what he said. In an interview I'd consider it swearing, especially if I didn't know the interviewer.
  • Good feedback to get.

Next time don't use words that could be considered swear words.

Maybe they thought that it showed a lack of respect or consideration or how you might talk to clients and colleagues.
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4l_SnqZ5FE
  • Would you really want to work in an organisation where they are so pious that this language is frowned on.

Seems like an excuse to me, and a reason not to employ you, what about your ability/experience to do the job and be a team player, or did that not tick any box's
  • They just went with a couple of people who had been doing the exact job. She just mentioned it as a by the way.

Just didnt really think of it as a swear word, especially in the context i used it in!

oh well, live and learn!
  • you bloody idiot
  • [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]Would you really want to work in an organisation where they are so pious that this language is frowned on.
    That's what I was thinking, fuck 'em!

P.S. could an Admin edit the title of this thread?
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]you bloody idiot

git!
  • blinky blimey.

never use a swear word in an interview, however mild it is.

bunch of w&ankers mind.
  • [cite]Posted By: SE10Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]you bloody idiot
    git!
    I wouldnt use that one either mate
  • Oddly enough I've just come back from visiting a business (I can't really call them a client) who was on the verge of physical violence towards me and my colleague and was swearing and making threats, and generally being very unpleasant/aggressive.

Now, after calming him down and explaining why we were there, etc, (local authority enforcement BTW) I used the same word during the visit, when talking about something unrelated to the reason we were there. However I did it deliberately i.e. talking to him in language he understood and could identify with and to make him more comfortable.

Would never use it in other circumstances, like an interview, though nor use anything stronger.
  • Agree with Henry that it's really good to get that type of feedback. Stick it away in the knowledge bank and remember it for the next interview. And also remember that if they think a word you use it inappropriate they might be right or they might be wrong; eitehr way, it's not the right place for you.

Also...
    [cite]Posted By: SE10Addick[/cite] the woman pointed out was my use of the word "bloody" in the interview. Now, am I just too common or was this guy a prude??

... if you're interviewed by a woman, try to avoid calling her a "bloke" - some of them are just SO sensitive.

;o)
  • [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]Would you really want to work in an organisation where they are so pious that this language is frowned on.

Not being pious at all. Its inapproproate to swear in an interview unless the interviewer has given yuo a cue that it would be acceptable. i has an interview yesterday and the interviewer said shit, I did not then embark on a tirade but knew if i felt that it was useful to add that expletive i could possibly get away with it.

I am sure if I was interviewing you I would have questioned your use of bloody not because you used the word but that you had misjudged when to use it.

I once had an interview where the headhunter swore all the way through and the response from me was in kind. i did not get put forward for the job, because according to the head hunter I was too much of a londoner . .. the job was marketing manager for .... Ipswich Town.
  • A job interview is generally a formal occasion, so personally I would choose my words carefully.
    But hey-ho, and all that ......

One thing I learned once on a sales training course ......... never use words that could be mis-construed or any form of swearword/bad language - even if it's already been used by the person you're talking to.

It could cost you the order. Or job contract.
  • Write back to him and say" Thanks for your feed back re my interview you C**T"
  • [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Write back to him and say" Thanks for your feed back re my interview you C**T"

Do that you'll get constructive feedback :-)
  • edited September 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]Would you really want to work in an organisation where they are so pious that this language is frowned on.

Not being pious at all. Its inapproproate to swear in an interview unless the interviewer has given yuo a cue that it would be acceptable. i has an interview yesterday and the interviewer said shit, I did not then embark on a tirade but knew if i felt that it was useful to add that expletive i could possibly get away with it.

I am sure if I was interviewing you I would have questioned your use of bloody not because you used the word but that you had misjudged when to use it.

I once had an interview where the headhunter swore all the way through and the response from me was in kind. i did not get put forward for the job, because according to the head hunter I was too much of a londoner . .. the job was marketing manager for .... Ipswich Town.
    '
    Sales manager for Ipswich Town...... and the headhunter did not realise you were from London, Obviously he did not read your C/V.... Oh What a frail bunch these headhunters are..... imagine the reverse and you got rejected because you were too 'Ipswich centric. ( tractor boy)

The same as London centric, total nonsense!..... Most people who live in London these days were not born there!, and Ipswich's greatest manager was a lad from a village pit up north Born in Sacriston, County Durham Bobby Robson. He had no problems with understanding the local culture. I would not use the word Christ in front of a member of the church,or someone who I knew was a devout christian. I would not 'swear' in front of children, not sure where I grew up in Charlton they even regard this as swearing. The view I take is that if Prince Charles can use this then mere humble subjects like me are following our 'betters'. This really is like would you wear a tie for an interview. Thank god I work for an organisation that is more 'relaxed' about this type of thing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Why in positions of power do you think that behaviour would be symmetric? I would avoid swear words in an interview, and if I'm honest probably bloody. However I consider bloody along there with damn, it is just not a swear word nowadays. That doesn't mean that people with low skill levels, both emotional and mental, won't use what happened to you as an arbitary irrelevant excuse. But as Henry said in their meager mind they managed to manipulate the sit into a negative, regardless of importance. Just don't do it again, but gees in business if words weren't allowed like that hmmmmm.
  • Ken - marketing manager please!
  • [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite] But as Henry said in their meager mind .........

Colin, you spelt meagre wrong.

I'm learning to be a pedant.

;o)
  • The context you used it in was as a sewar word. Had you said 'do excuse me i have a bloody nose' you would have been fine.

Next time try 'very'.

And just to pee on your bonfire a little more I think everyone not picked is 'next on the list'.
  • edited September 2009
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]The context you used it in was as a sewar word.

That's a quality Freudian slip McLovin ....... or just a plain old typo?

Is that a sewer word or merely your 'umble swear word .....?

;o)

PS: Does that qualify me as a fully paid up member of C.L.A.P. ....?
    (Charlton Life Antagonistic Pedants)

When members open their mouth, they can then spout Clap-trap.
  • you should have just said it is fooking really tuff to make a flipping shilling in the fooking resession thingy that we are in
  • That's modern business for you. Sod whether you were the best person for the job. Utter bollocks and sounds like you're better off out of it mate.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]you bloody idiot

Mind your language WestSyde, children read this board!!!
  • And students,,,,(!)

;o)
  • Bloody's in the Bible, Bloody's in the Book. If you don't believe me, Have a bloody look!"