Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Squad for South Africa 2010

Ok, now we've qualified, what would be your 23 and starting 11 if everyone was fit. Mine would be:

23:

James
Green
Carson

Johnson
Brown
Terry
Ferdinand
A.Cole
Bridge
Lescott

Gerrard
Lampard
Barry
Lennon
Walcott
J.Cole
Carrick
A.Young

Rooney
Bent
Defoe
Heskey
Owen

Starting 11:
4-4-2:

Green

Johnson
Terry
Ferdinand
A.Cole

Lennon
Barry
Lampard
Gerrard

Rooney
Bent

Comments

• Options
    Surely Marcus Bent won't get a call:-)
  • Options
    No Becks?
  • Options
    Would have to put Milner and Becks in for Parker and J.Cole.

Carson will probably be edged out by Ben Foster although i don't think that it will really matter.

Upson in defence for me but maybe Lescott will have a good season. Wes Brown is shite, but provides good cover for right back if we get an injury.

Apart from that I think Bent and Owen have a lot to do to convice capello. Niether have been involved in taking England to the world cup. So I think he will take 1 of them. Sadly for us I think it will be owen who will probably get 12/13 goals for big boys united compared to Bents 20+. He seems to like the Big Man forward instead. Hence Carlton Cole and Crouch being the other two back up strikers behind Defoe, Rooney and Heskey.

Either way, we're gonna win the world cup. Emile Heskey becoming the savior of England.
  • Options
    Anyone notice how England's midfield and strikeforce is based on our first eleven?

Winger on the right in Sam/Lennon, Box to box player in Racon/Lampard, a deeper, more defensive player in Semedo/Barry and a right footed central midfielder charging around and scoring goals on the left in Bailey/Gerrard.

Then up front Shelvey/Rooney dropping deep and creating things as well as scoring goals, Burton/Heskey winning headers, holding up the ball and bringing others into play.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Anyone notice how England's midfield and strikeforce is based on our first eleven?

Winger on the right in Sam/Lennon, Box to box player in Racon/Lampard, a deeper, more defensive player in Semedo/Barry and a right footed central midfielder charging around and scoring goals on the left in Bailey/Gerrard.

Then up front Shelvey/Rooney dropping deep and creating things as well as scoring goals, Burton/Heskey winning headers, holding up the ball and bringing others into play.
    Shit - I've never noticed that! its almost like... 4-4-2 with a deep-lying striker! Actually, if you look closely, our defence is clearly the model for England's as well - we've got two centre backs, and two full backs. The similarities don't end there either - we've also got a goalkeeper behind them, and a manager pulling all the strings. :o)
  • Options
    Haha.

Similar types of players was what I was getting at. Pardew, Reed and Dowie played all sorts of combinations, many that were never going to last long at all.
  • Options
    With you 100% there. Nice to see Parky has got a good idea of how he wants his team to play - and is sticking with it. The real test for us this year will be when we hit a bad run of form - will he end up tinkering with things too much rather than sticking with his plan. Personally, I'm just happy watching the team playing so well week in week out - even if the opposition has been largely shite.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Parker? Ahead of Hargreaves and Carrick???? Also as much as i hate to say it i think Carlton Cole does that role better than Heskey and would be surprized if Croch is left out so.

23:

James
    Green
    Carson

Johnson
    Brown
    Terry
    Ferdinand
    A.Cole
    Bridge
    Lescott. Upson seems to be preferred.

Gerrard
    Lampard
    Barry
    Lennon
    Walcot Wright-Phillips
    J.Cole
    Parker Carrick
    A.Young

Rooney
    Bent C. cole
    Defoe
    Heskey
    Owen Crouch

Starting 11:
    4-4-2:

Green

Johnson
    Terry
    Ferdinand
    A.Cole

Lennon
    Barry
    Lampard
    Gerrard

Rooney
    Defoe
  • Options
    Bit early to be calling for squad speculation at this stage.....could be some injuries that prevent some of those mentioned and some may well lose form, plus a wonder kid or two just might surface in the next few months, a bit unlikely I'll admit..........but you just never know!
  • Options
    Anyone on here going to SA for the finals....?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Beckham would be going for me. Defo.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Vinnie V.[/cite]Parker? Ahead of Hargreaves and Carrick???? Also as much as i hate to say it i think Carlton Cole does that role better than Heskey and would be surprized if Croch is left out so.

Forgot about Carrick! Parkers out!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]Ok, now we've qualified, what would be your 23 and starting 11 if everyone was fit. Mine would be:

23:

James
    Green
    Carson

Johnson
    Brown
    Terry
    Ferdinand
    A.Cole
    Bridge
    Lescott

Gerrard
    Lampard
    Barry
    Lennon
    Walcott
    J.Cole
    Carrick
    A.Young

Rooney
    Bent
    Defoe
    Heskey
    Owen

Kirkland in for Carson.
    Gerrard will play left so i don't think you need Joe Cole and Young, so Young is out and Beckham to come in as he can play centre as well.
    Crouch in for Bent.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Vinnie V.[/cite]Parker? Ahead of Hargreaves and Carrick????

Surely Hargreaves is never going to play professional football again.

Agree with most of the rest of your squad, Vinnie. Good to see everyone is including 5 strikers. Surely Fabio won't make the mistake of only taking 4...
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Keepers

Green
    James
    Foster

Defenders

Terry
    Ferdinand
    Upson
    Cole
    Johnson
    Brown
    Lescott
    Bridge

Midfield

Lennon
    Gerrard
    Lampard
    Walcott
    J Cole
    Carrick
    Barry
    SWP

Forward

Rooney
    Heskey
    Cole
    Defoe

Starting 11 4-4-1-1

James

Johnson
    Terry
    Ferdinand
    A Cole

Gerrard
    Lampard
    Lennon
    Barry

Rooney

Heskey
  • Options
    I think Beckham will be going, I can't believe he's been played in all these friendlies and even competitive matches and then won't make the squad. Whether he's a starter or not is moot - but I think Capello will want him on the bench.

I'd also take Gabriel Agbonlahor.