Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wrong Place, Right Time

edited December 2006 in General Charlton
despite what has happened I fell immense sympathy for Les Reed. He happened to find himself in the right place but at the wrong time. I don't blame him for taking the job but it was plainly obvious he wasn't up to it. Whether he was pushed or he jumped the right decision has been made. I hope Les will be able to return to The Valley soon to watch us play, as he said he would be doing if he wasn't manager, and will be able to do so without anyone having a pop at him. At the end of the day he's a Charlton fan after all.

Comments

• Options
    Right place, wrong time, I agree Large. The fact that people were calling for him to replace Mervyn Day and/or Curbs before they left is testament to his character and ability and the esteem that fans held him in before this mess. I think he was thrown into an impossible situation when Dowie was sacked, which is unfortunate. It was never going to work for him. The players' didn't give him a hope in hell from the off and, particularly after Reading, the fans didn't know what to make of it all.

I too hope he doesn't take any personal abuse when he takes his seat at The Valley in the future. Let's close this chapter. And hopefully he can come in and out through the front door!
  • Options
    Totally agree.

I do feel sorry for Reed because his reputation now has taken a right good b********g.

No matter how much he tried, he was very inept, out of his depth and furthermore he did not command the respect of the players.

Taking all this on board, we would be a Championship side by Easter and not May.

Whilst I am still peeved at the board for an algmighty cock up since appointing Dowie, i think they have finally shown some backbone by appointing Alan P.

However they have looked a bit silly along the way with their "we back Reed/Dowie" and "Dowie is to blame" nonsense.
  • Options
    Reed may prove long-term to be the most popular manager with a disasterous record. Hopefully, everyone else can see what has been seen from the posts so far on here; he was a good man and this just wasn't the right thing for him or for us.

Good luck Les, we still hold you in high-esteem and wish you well in whatever you do next.

Hope you get to see these messages as well.
  • Options
    Lets be fair, Reed never got a fair squad as he had no chance of bringing in his players and Dowie had already bought crap.
  • Options
    as some one said on an earlier thread, its the scum players or 'player power' thats got him the sack. now they got what they want it should be onwards and upwards
  • Options
    bored
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz