Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

6 defeats, 1 draw, 1 last minute win

edited December 2006 in General Charlton
Is simply not good enough, by anyone's standard.

The last guy was publicly sacked because results were not good enough. Because the squad of players at his disposal were underperforming.

We have not raised our game in any way since. There has not been one positive aspect that has arose since Wigan away. Not one function of the side, pairing or indeed individual has raised their performance since Wigan away.

We are a club with a squad of questionable ability, no battling qualities, with a manger who cannot motivate or inspire the side. The one victory came against a Blackburn side who if they had not come for only a point, would of beat us.

Those are not negative soundbytes or scare-mongering. They are hard, cold facts.

Defeat to Fulham and only one decision can be made. If that does not arrive, be prepared for further support disrest.

Comments

• Options
    Sorry to say it but Reed has no support from me - it would have been better if we'd lost 5-0 today - although even then I don't think the board would have the gall to do the right thing.
  • Options
    Agree AFKA........

I think he just has to go .... Im not feeling confident about anything at the mo.... I think the only thing likely is the board not firing reed...... WHY?? I don't know.......WE look absolutely awful.... as someone mentioned at least we played football with Dowie... I think the board have made a big mistake namin players names.... across the board we are acting poorly
  • Options
    God i hope i get a text message tonight!!!
  • Options
    Good post AFKA,totally agree with you and the rest.It's now becoming a joke and if he (Reed) doesn't go soon i can see us going on a downward spiral and slipping down through the leagues.At least if a new manager comes in soon,he will have time to try and turn things around.Our players are lifeless and Reed does f*** all to motivate them.
  • Options
    I am slowly coming round to the idea of Souness as put forward by SS. Short contract with a big bonus IF he can keep us up. Little chance of that though.
  • Options
    Souness is the most overrated manager in football.

He would be worse than Reed.
  • Options
    Souness long term would be rubbish, but we are in desperate times.
    Get Souness in to sort out this shambles and then get a proper manager in in the summer.

Reed has got to go and has got to go now.
  • Options
    done a great job sorting out Newcastle's shambles, didn't he....
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    "The last guy was publicly sacked because results were not good enough"

Is that true? All the gossip is that it was matters off the field that caused the sacking. "Gross professional misconduct" is an expression I have heard used.

OR is the confidentiality agreement enough to make them hint : Oh - If you only knew! knowing that their bluff could not be called?
  • Options
    of course that was the real reason Mark, but if they are not prepared to say publicly what really happened, then they can only expect us to form a view on what they publicly said. And what they publicly said was that results were poor, and the playing side was underperforming.

It has since got worse.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can't see souness coming to charlton, would be too much for him.He's not the answer anyway.The answer is to restructure the backroom staff, we need to replace les reed with A PROVEN MANAGER who can choose he's own backroom staff, this will sort out this spectacular mess we're in. Can't see the point in giving les reed more money to patch things up only for us to be relegated anyway. It's a mess and it needs to be sorted out.If Richard murray thinks we are moving in the right direction then he is sadly deluded,the supporters are already resigned to relegation, hope i'm wrong but it ain't exactly getting any better.
  • Options
    Well if they are at training tomorrow perhaps people should go down to sparrows lane and vent their true feelings!!

Its not about Dowie or Reed or even Pardew, its about players standing up and being counted.

Personally if I was on £20k a week and I put in performances like that I would be ashamed to take the money.

Whilst I am not advocating it, if the fans acted like some of the south american fans and pelted their own fans at training grounds with rotten fruit and abuse maybe they might realise what it means to us!!
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    AFKA - times are desperate
    I have never rated Souness - but I am struggling to think of someone who we could get in and who would take no shit from the f****ing players and not be afraid to be drastic.
  • Options
    Salad, I don't know what's gotten into you my friend! You've gone nuts... This mess has got to you... I can understand it tho... I'm close to the edge myself, but if Graeme Souness' sour puss face got within a mile of the "head coach's" job at Charlton, I'd do myself in... We'd have gone from worse to worser, no doubt, done deal. I hope I'm right in saying that it's not even realistic.

Now, Dirty Sanchez, that's realistic and a step forward towards sorting this mess out.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad Spinner[/cite]AFKA - times are desperate
    I have never rated Souness - but I am struggling to think of someone whowecould get in and who would take no shit from the f****ing players and not be afraid to be drastic.
    See, that's the problem Salad, I don't think there's anyone who could do the job who would take it.

Actually, I'm not even sure there's anyone who could do the job with the resources available.
  • Options
    Sanchez has shown that he can organise an ordinary set of players to perform above their station, he has been saying in the media that he believes he could combine his present role with NI. The thing is though is he not a bit of a long ball merchant just like Reed?

I think we have seeing that playing this type of % game (like Watford) only results in one thing from the premiership - relegation. It is an option though...
  • Options
    To be honest AFKA, I thought that what they said at the time was that there was more to it. Varney said on Radio 5 that he wished he could tell us why he was sacked but the confidentiality agreements meant he couldn't. He implied that there was more that he couldn't say which didn't relate to results on the field. But, as I said, it is easy to say that if you know that you are never going to have to expand further.

I guess the point is that irrespective of whether Dowie's record was sufficient to get him sacked, Reed's certainly is. I have nothing against Les Reed, but there can be few walks of life where one can walk into one of the top twenty jobs in the country without any prior experience.

I'm sure he would say that he is the best qualified coach in the country and he has been appointed as Head Coach. No matter what the job there is a fundamental difference between being a Number 2 and a Number 1. It is that experience which he lacks.

The one thing I find unfathomable, is why he was given a three year contract when he was completely untried. I can only imagine it came from him i.e. if the players are to believe in me, you have to show you believe in me by appointing me full time. Nonetheless, new manger or not - we are doomed.
  • Options
    i can't believe it is a straight three-year contract though, Murray is not that daft surely ?

There must be various catches in there.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Lets face it, Reeds not going anywhere soon. I cant see many managers being able to get us out of this mess, Graham? Venables? Hoddle? May not be good in the long run but I think any of those three could save us. Souness though Salad? You really are clutching at straws.
    We're doomed, lets all deal with it & look forward to life in the Championship.