Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Steve Claridge

Another tip top performance with plenty of insightful comments tonight - again. Well done Steve. I don't begrudge you my bit of the licence fee for such a quality showing - or show. No Sir-ee, not one little bit.

Comments

• Options
    Still not quite as annoying as that Clem guy
  • Options
    edited August 2009
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Another tip top performance with plenty of insightful comments tonight - again. Well done Steve. I don't begrudge you my bit of the licence fee for such a quality showing - or show. No Sir-ee, not one little bit.

You've been paying lawrenson and Hansens green fees for the last 10 years.claridge as only got a second hand half set of clubs and talks more sense than those two twonks put together so what's the fuss??
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Another tip top performance with plenty of insightful comments tonight - again. Well done Steve. I don't begrudge you my bit of the licence fee for such a quality showing - or show. No Sir-ee, not one little bit.

I'm not 100% sure but do i detect a very slight hint of sarcasm

Moi???

:-O
  • Options
    Hansen was a breadth of fresh air when he first got on MOTD, quickly got stale about the time youngsters won things.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]Hansen was a breadth of fresh air when he first got on MOTD, quickly got stale about the time youngsters won things.[/quote]

began to believe his own publicity
  • Options
    Does he actually say anything worth listening to?! Seriously the bloke just mumbles rubbish!
  • Options
    Much prefer Leroy.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]Much prefer Leroy.

Agreed . Much better pundit than Claridge who takes himself far too seriously.
  • Options
    Geezers a toby
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Claridge is an over exposed talentless prick.
  • Options
    absolute cock, cant stand him
  • Options
    agree , and the most stupid haircut I've ever seen
  • Options

What, our very own Leroy Ambrose - me too, bloke is a legend!
  • Options
    Claridge was a very good lower league footballer- just he clearly doesn't take much interest in the game outside of that. Not his fault BBC chose to employ him for what he was rather than his pundatry skills. The structure of the show has been thrown together by numbers - I suppose they don't want it to be better than MOTD which I think it easily could be. A couple of opinionated ex players or journo types would be excellent - unfortunately he is still playing but a future role for Robbie Savage here. This show could be made so good with some minor alterations in presentation and personnel.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    [cite]Posted By: WestStandCookie[/cite]

What, our very own Leroy Ambrose - me too, bloke is a legend!

I agree, he would cut through the chaff on that show!
    [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]Claridge was a very good lower league footballer- just he clearly doesn't take much interest in the game outside of that. Not his fault BBC chose to employ him for what he was rather than his pundatry skills. The structure of the show has been thrown together by numbers - I suppose they don't want it to be better than MOTD which I think it easily could be. A couple of opinionated ex players or journo types would be excellent - unfortunately he is still playing but a future role for Robbie Savage here. This show could be made so good with some minor alterations in presentation and personnel.

It's true -it really is as if a focus group computer has been force fed data about how a football show should be- using a focus group that don't really care much for football.

The following areas would in my humble view improve the show:

1) A more relaxed looking studio that doesn't look like it has been stolen from Santa's grotto.

2) Get rid of the daft text and e-mails section- who really cares what Dan the Rochdale fan has to say about the Snack bar at Spotland? Or Gilbert the Glazier who wants to tell Lizzie all about the mural he made of her out of crisp packets at his adult education centre.
    This would save 5 minutes in the show and finally rid us of Lizzie Birdsworth-Gryffindor-Piper-Spicerack once and for all. At best this section is dull- at worst it is patronising to Football League fans. Can you imagine this flying on Match of the Day??

3) Save on the endless boring shots of teams getting off coaches and of Neil Warnock signing autographs (surely he has covered all 25 QPR fans now??)and teams lining up to shake each others hands and show....more football !

4) The titles look shabby and dated (2006 Away strip anyone) and the "theme tune" sounds like multitracked elephants grunting.

On the plus side it is nice to see Charlton on terrestrial Tv despite being in the 3rd Division even if it is for 20 seconds each time, this probably wouldn't have happened 20 years ago.

In short a fair show that could be a very good one if anyone in at the BBC cared to make it so.
  • Options
    Agree with that pilchard, especially the bit about the "theme tune" - and what the f*** is that closing "theme" all about, some sort of incoherent chanting mess.

Very true that they seem to want to retain a "lower division" feel to the whole thing, almost as if we should be grateful for even being allowed the scraps from the table.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]
    Very true that they seem to want to retain a "lower division" feel to the whole thing, almost as if we should be grateful for even being allowed the scraps from the table.

Absolutely right, the whole thing has a budget feel. In principle I have to say I like the way the BBC have helped give the Football League as a whole a bit of a push so that the Sky1992 football fan can be made aware that there is more to the game than the top flight, but does it all have to have such a media studies project feel to it?
  • Options
    He's so awful, wound me up listening to Radio 5 on the way home tonight, talks absolute rubbish, one of the others will challenge him on it in a perfectly reasonable manner and he'll sulk like a teenager until they change the subject.

Robbie Savage is an idiot but at least he knows it.

• Options

He's so awful, wound me up listening to Radio 5 on the way home tonight, talks absolute rubbish, one of the others will challenge him on it in a perfectly reasonable manner and he'll sulk like a teenager until they change the subject.

Robbie Savage is an idiot but at least he knows it.

him and Savage .. smash my radio in rage merchants .. the BBC is definitely appealing to the lowest common denominator with this pair of twats .. thank you for keeping the ever excellent Motty though ((:>)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You could tell tonight that Motson and Chappers thought they were talking utter chuff, every now and again they'd just go "...What?".

Think they were very retained not to follow it up with "the hell are you on about, you idiot?"
  • Options
    Claridge just blames anything on the manager - always seems to think a player can do no wrong.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Claridge just blames anything on the manager - always seems to think a player can do no wrong.

Well, next season, he'll definitely be able to blame the manager of Salisbury (City) FC. Himself.

At what level of the football pyramid he'll be screwing up has yet to be determined. Perhaps this means we'll see less of his punditry.
    --

For anyone interested:

Southern Daily Echo, 20/03/2015.

THE campaign to get Salisbury FC back into the Raymond McEnhill Stadium has come up trumps – and now manager Steve Claridge has pledged to build them “a team they can be proud of.”

Board members have struck a deal with the ground’s trustees and are urgently working to finalise the terms and conditions of the lease.

March 31 is the deadline day for making an official application to the FA, stating where they will play next season and including a business plan for the club’s return to the non-League pyramid.

If things go well, the phoenix club, which has risen from the ashes of the old Salisbury City FC, will play their first competitive game after a 16-month exile.

The welcome news owes much to the tireless work of fans who pledged their support to the new club by launching a ‘Save Our Stadium’ petition which racked up more than 6,000 signatures, with Salisbury MP John Glen and Wiltshire Council leader Jane Scott supporting the cause.

Pro footballer-turned-TV pundit Claridge, right, who is part owner and manager of the new club, said: “It’s fantastic to be back in the Ray Mac.”

“This is the result of a lot of hard work by the new board, supportive politicians and the fans who have campaigned so hard on our behalf.

“We won’t know for a while which league we are going to be put in, so recuiting players will be difficult for some time.

“There is a variation of two or three levels we could be in at, so that will make a big difference to all sorts of things such as wage bills and the quality of player we can attract.

“I have been looking at players for the last six months and will continue to do so to build up a profile of my squad, but I won’t be able to act for a month or two just yet.

“What I can tell people is that I will be looking to build them a team they can be proud of at whatever level.

“We have somewhere with excellent facilities to play next season, which can only improve our chances of getting back in the non-League pyramid.”
  • Options
    If that means he'll cut back on the media work I'm all for it.
  • Options
    Excellent facilities indeed. The car park has ample space for a Cortina...
  • Options

Excellent facilities indeed. The car park has ample space for a Cortina...

Billy Big Boots club in a Billy Big Boots "city". If there's one thing that unites people all over the rest of Wiltshire, it's contempt for the good burghers of Salisbury.

I suppose they may turn up playing in the Toolstation, which has nothing to do with his ex-club, although it's an appropriate level for all of them. Toolstation = Western League (tier 9/10).
  • Options
    Him and savage both annoyed the hell out of me on the Monday club
  • Options
    Good to see Steve and Manish back on the BBC presenting FA Cup highlights.
  • Options
    Eurgh.