Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jermaine Defoe

Comments

• Options
    Annoying though it's been watching him score so many goals for so many years whilst wondering what he could've done for us, I don't think he's ever shown any disrespect to CAFC. He's scored a few against us but has never over celebrated in front of us, and in fact jogged away pretty subdued after helping condemn us with Spurs at The Valley. Couldn't believe Prem clubs just stood by and watched when he went off to Canada; surely someone could've persuaded him to stay at the time.

At a time when we're told how little room there is for "just a goal scorer" and even Aguerro's place is questioned, he proves time and again what a priceless art finishing is.
  • Options
    Same as for Jamie Vardy. Until his pace leaves him, he's an automatic squad player as we have nobody else like him!
  • Options
    A good striker but why did Hoddle give him man of the match? He scored a goal which was laid on a plate for him and a few wayward shots. and Varney scored so why wasn't he consider for MOM? Rushford put out some excitement when he had the ball but not considered. There were other players on the pitch for a lot longer and made a bigger contribution. No logical reasoning other than it was nice to see him back.
  • Options

masicat said:

Anyone want to slag Defoe off today?

yeah alright. he's a knobhead...
    What great support he's giving to a terminally ill five year old though. What a knobhead!!!!
    He still walked out on Charlton twenty years ago.
    When he was a teenager.
    He also won a substantial amount of money on the lottery and to my knowledge did nothing of any note with it.
  • Options
    supaclive said:

Same as for Jamie Vardy. Until his pace leaves him, he's an automatic squad player as we have nobody else like him!

I actually think his reading of the game and positioning is so good that he could have an extended career even after he's lost a couple of yards. If I was a mediocre Premier League side I'd happily give him a three year deal this summer, even if he's past it in that final year it would be worth it to secure him for the first two.
  • Options
    i saw that picture earlier in the national anthems - with him facing and cuddling Jermain - and I welled up. Not afraid to admit it.

No idea how bad the kid is (I can't bear to read up on it) but he's had an unbelievable time of it recently and I hope it continues

Fair play Jermain - gone right up in my estimation
  • Options
    Moved on from disliking him to disliking West Ham years ago, although if he was to join Palace in the summer...
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

i saw that picture earlier in the national anthems - with him facing and cuddling Jermain - and I welled up. Not afraid to admit it.

No idea how bad the kid is (I can't bear to read up on it) but he's had an unbelievable time of it recently and I hope it continues

Heartbreakingly I believe the cancer is terminal
  • Options

Swisdom said:

Heartbreakingly I believe the cancer is terminal
    Just read up on it.

Wish I hadn't

God bless little guy. Only a fraction older than my son.
  • Options

masicat said:

What great support he's giving to a terminally ill five year old though. What a knobhead!!!!
    to be fair i'd not been following that. didn't watch the game yesterday.
    masicat said:

masicat said:

And your not?
    And nah if I was a knobhead I'd say "you're"
    It's no, not nah.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Defoe's friendship with Bradley has been so heartwarming.
    The picture of them cuddled up together in his hospital bed a few weeks ago had me in tears.

Since Bradley's diagnosis, my father-in-law has been diagnosed with the same type of tumour. Sadly its only a matter of time now.

I have to say, I'd love to see Defoe back at Spurs for next season if Sunderland go down. Would be perfect cover for Kane. I realise that ship has long sailed but hey...
  • Options
    Asked for his autograph at a spurs game once and he told me his hand was aching so for that I will never forgive him ;)
  • Options
    His half brother died after being assaulted, his father died of cancer and his cousin was electrocuted and killed when she jumped into a swimming pool, aged just 21. All three died in the space of a couple of years. Holding a grudge against the man seems pretty churlish after all that.

He's a devout Christian, so I do wonder how he reconciles that with young Bradley's illness.
  • Options
    Cafc95 said:

Asked for his autograph at a spurs game once and he told me his hand was aching so for that I will never forgive him ;)

And there's proof if ever you needed it...... he's a w**ker.
  • Options

I don't believe it.

Moyes has now confirmed the 34-year-old has a relegation clause in his contract which will allow him to leave Wearside for free this summer.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11695/10874357/jermain-defoe-contract-relegation-clause-disappoints-sunderland-boss-david-moyes

all together now .. 'you don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate'
  • Options

I don't believe it.

Moyes has now confirmed the 34-year-old has a relegation clause in his contract which will allow him to leave Wearside for free this summer.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11695/10874357/jermain-defoe-contract-relegation-clause-disappoints-sunderland-boss-david-moyes

Wow. Did Katrien negotiate that contract??
  • Options
    To be fair to them I don't think it's the worst bit of business on their part.

When he joined them last year everyone (including me and my Sunderland mate at work) had written them off as already relegated. There was no way he would sign without that clause. So it was either sign him with it and have a chance of staying up or don't sign him and go down.

He kept them up for a year which made them good money. He couldn't stop them going down this year but at least he wages are off the books. Sure they could have got a fee for him but he wouldn't have signed the contract without that.
  • Options

To be fair to them I don't think it's the worst bit of business on their part.

When he joined them last year everyone (including me and my Sunderland mate at work) had written them off as already relegated. There was no way he would sign without that clause. So it was either sign him with it and have a chance of staying up or don't sign him and go down.

He kept them up for a year which made them good money. He couldn't stop them going down this year but at least he wages are off the books. Sure they could have got a fee for him but he wouldn't have signed the contract without that.

And it wouldn't have been a big fee at his age.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not as daft as this
    Sunderland's Fabio Borini has a relegation clause in his contract and can leave for just £6m, with Celtic thought to be keen on the 26-year-old striker. (Daily Telegraph)
    Who would pay 6 million for Borini, even in this inflated market?
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Not as daft as this

Sunderland's Fabio Borini has a relegation clause in his contract and can leave for just £6m, with Celtic thought to be keen on the 26-year-old striker. (Daily Telegraph)

Who would pay 6 million for Borini, even in this inflated market?

He'd piss the Scottish league though.
  • Options
    Not like this would be a surprise to Sunderland surely. His goals last season kept them up so have earned at least 50m from him.
  • Options

saw Defoe's interview yesterday and its enough to reduce any man to tears, the love between him and bradley is so strong and hearing that unfortunately Bradley has days not weeks left. my god cancers a c**t.

Yeah sadly it sounds as though Bradley is literary down to days now going by the latest tweet from her parents.