Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sol Campbell

Comments

• Options
    Seems to have all gone a bit quiet now he's turning out to be a decent manager. 

Bet a few are very disappointed. 
    Decent or average

Still could be relegated today

Not sure if he took charge of the game v Exeter as it was the same day he was appointed but if he did its

8 wins
    9 draws
    9 defeats

If he didnt its
    7 wins
    9 draws
    9 defeats

What was teams record this season before that 
  • Options
    edited May 2019

I’m not reading it all back - but I don’t recall too many calling him a crap manager....or wishing failure on him?!?

I just think people generally didn’t like his histrionics about not being offered top jobs. 
  • Options
    I've been hoping he does well at Macclesfield and he has.
    He's nearly saved them from relegation, but it's all down to the last game.
    Mind you, I don't want Notts C to be relegated either.
  • Options

He’s turned a relegation threatened L2 side into a relegation threatened L2 side. Can’t believe he didn’t get the Arsenal job.
    He can’t believe he didn’t get the Real Madrid Job. 
  • Options
    Took a team with 4 points from the first 13 games, into a position where they might be out of the relegation zone. 

I'd call that a great first year in management. 
    Didnt help that Macclesfield lost their Manager at the end of last season in John Askey so who knows how he'd have done carrying on the promotion bounce... When you look at Tranmere and where they are this season then you maybe could argue that Macclesfield should be doing a lot better seeing that they finished 10-points ahead of Rovers on their way to winning the Conference

Of course though no one has ever doubted Sol Campbell as a Manager, he just doesnt do himself any favours by being a whiny little bitch
  • Options
    Just gone 1-0 down to Cambridge after having a load of chances themselves

One goal for Notts County will see Macclesfield go down as it stands

Rather interesting in the Play-Off race with Colchester now 3-0 up at Lincoln; Exeter (under Matt Taylor) are 0-0 with Forest Green (Already in the Play-Offs) yet one goal from them will take them back above Colchester into 7th spot - Newport County themselves are currently losing 1-0 to Morecambe, equally an equaliser for them will take them above Colchester and Exeter as it stands, of course if Exeter win then so too do Newport
  • Options
    1-0 Notts County
  • Options
    All change

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well done Sol. Hats off!
  • Options
    Macclesfield equalise, 1-1 and staying up as it stands. 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Relegated on Goal Difference is a tough one to take if it ends like this

Personally think head to head is a better decider
  • Options
    Swindon equalise
  • Options
    Swindon now lead

Why the hell did Notts County sack Kevin Nolan!!!!
  • Options
    Well done Sol. 
  • Options
    Fair play to him, they were dead and buried when he took over. He’s still a cock though. 
  • Options
    edited May 2019

Decent or average

Not sure if he took charge of the game v Exeter as it was the same day he was appointed but if he did its

8 wins
    9 draws
    9 defeats

If he didnt its
    7 wins
    9 draws
    9 defeats

For those wondering, before he took over they had:

0 wins
    4 draws
    9 defeats

(at least, that's what I'd read, but I haven't looked that up again properly to confirm it - that might just be before the first guy was sacked, and doesn't include the caretaker manager's games in charge)
  • Options
    Sol can be and has been a bit of a twat but he deserves credit for rescuing Macclesfield in his first season of management.
  • Options
    Well done to Sol.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Done well and now has the chance to prove himself with a summer of recruitment. Seen it all before managers keeping teams up and then struggling, Sunderland had it for years - Di Canio, Poyet etc. 

Real test will be his first full year. That's if he doesn't get offered the opportunity to replace Guardiola at City like he deserves. 
  • Options
    Sol stuck it up the doubters.
  • Options
    Employed to keep them up.
    Kept them up.
    Job done.
    Good manager so far.
    Hope he continues to do well because of who he winds up - (even though he has an arse of a personality.)
  • Options

Decent or average

8 wins
    9 draws
    9 defeats

If he didnt its
    7 wins
    9 draws
    9 defeats

For those wondering, before he took over they had:

0 wins
    4 draws
    9 defeats

(at least, that's what I'd read, but I haven't looked that up again properly to confirm it - that might just be before the first guy was sacked, and doesn't include the caretaker manager's games in charge)
    Thanks for the unbiased stats
  • Options
    I wish him well ..although Macclesfield do seem to be in a mess off the pitch ..
  • Options
    love him, hate him, he always gave his all when playing for England .. I never like to see any club relegated, especially out of the FL, but am pleased that Macclesfield have survived while I am so sorry that Notts County have gone to the NL sin bin .. there again if Nottingham people down the recent years have  preferred to support Forest !!
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    He did what he needed to do. Go low and keeping Macclesfield up is definitely an achievement. Actions speak louder than words and he is enhancing his managerial reputation/CV.

I think there is an element of laziness in the way the shortage of black managers is reported and complained about. Are there some racist owners? - probably a few, but the vast majority will employ the manager they think will bring them success. In the Premiership, most teams appoint foreign managers. This is even happening in the Championship now with the bigger teams. To manage at the higher levels you tend to have to get your team there if you are British.

Rather than count the number of black managers at a point in time, it is more reflective to look at the numbers of clubs who have appointed a black manager recently. The best way to be a manager if you are British, is to be playing or coaching and respected at a lower division club as your career ends (if you are a player) and wait for the opportunity to come. look at Bowyer - right place right time and with different events he may never have been a manager. If you are at a club all your career that will always employ a foreign manager, you have to go down a build your reputation. It may be an idea to go to a smaller club as a player manager when you still have something to offer on the pitch.
  • Options
    Macs'field off to a decent start .. I am pleased for Sol and hope that he proves to be a successful and innovative football manager