Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sol Campbell

Comments

• Options
    Alan Brazil & Dean Saunders were stunned this morning on talksport, they had a caller from Pompey who said all you need to know about the man, when Pompey were in dire financial straits and making cuts, players like our former player Herman, said no problem and deferred wages etc, Sol was having none of it and demanded full payment and his image rights payments. Not saying he wasn’t entitled to them, but the Pompey fans went off him very quickly after that.
  • Options

Maybe towards the end of his career he could have joined a lower league club as a player manager or coach and built up some affinity and knowledge of a club. It is how a lot of ex-players got managerial jobs - I mean uisng an example we know- Curbs played for us, Pardew played for us, Powell played for us. There is a decent chance JJ will be a Charlton manager at some point - more chance than him becoming Rotherham or Peterborough manager for instance. Maybe if Campbell was as intelligent as he thinks, he might have prepared the ground for a role!

If I was paid to go to a lunch with Michael Owen and Sol Campbell, it would have to be quite a lot of money to get me to go!

I wouldn’t have lunch with Owen and Campbell if it was just us three. I would get my phone to ring after 5 minutes and say I have a family emergency.
  • Options
    Campbell is clearly not all there up top. The best thing is mostly just to ignore him
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Campbell is clearly not all there up top. The best thing is mostly just to ignore him

I thought exactly the same thing. He’s definitely got issues.
  • Options

Michael Owen gets far too much stick imo. A fantastic player that’s played with some of the best players ever and loves his horse racing. Yeah he’s got a bit of a monotone voice but he seems like a decent fella.

Michael Owen doesn't like Cool Runnings. Instantly not a decent fella.

https://shortlist.com/entertainment/sport/michael-owen-films-movies-jurassic-park-cool-runnings-rocky/76307
  • Options
    Grimsby interested in talking to him after someone called Russell Slade was sacked.

Hope it’s not beneath Campbell.
  • Options

Michael Owen gets far too much stick imo. A fantastic player that’s played with some of the best players ever and loves his horse racing. Yeah he’s got a bit of a monotone voice but he seems like a decent fella.

https://shortlist.com/entertainment/sport/michael-owen-films-movies-jurassic-park-cool-runnings-rocky/76307
    Hahaha that article is fantastic. Some brilliant quotes.
  • Options
    Watching The Debate. Would never employ the bloke. Arrogant as fk. Expects to walk into a managerial role with nothing behind it. They even gave him a 15 min interview on tv.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Hahaha that article is fantastic. Some brilliant quotes.
    If that's not a parody then the bloke is a total hollow shell.
  • Options
    I thought Sol Campbell was one of the best centre halves in the world in the late nineties and early 2000's, he is right, he was a great reader of the game and a warrior of a defender.

Put into my world, I fancy myself as being good at what I do and have been for years, would I go into management? Would I bollocks, I don't have the temperament for it, Sol Campbell I'm sure is on some kind of antagonistic mission, a rebel without a cause. What does he want to happen? Someone open a previously closer door because of his skin pigmentation? That's taking the piss put of men with the same skin tone who have gotten on and done it, what's Sol Campbell done in regards coaching professional footballers? I appreciate he made a militant stand at Portsmouth but what has he put into the PFA beyond his subs?

I'll never knock someone for wanting to better themselves, regardless of how hard they have worked l, it's their decision, to use the media to whinge about not getting a chance though. That's an insult to men who have lost their job and never found another one on football without ever having earned what Soloman has to have a safety net so end up working in Aldi
  • Options
    You just know what's going to happen here. A club will eventually give him a managers job and he's going to be utter shite. Doesn't strike me as the type that players will give their all for, as most will (like the public) probably think he's a complete bellend.
  • Options
    If Ian Dowie can do it .......
  • Options

You just know what's going to happen here. A club will eventually give him a managers job and he's going to be utter shite. Doesn't strike me as the type that players will give their all for, as most will (like the public) probably think he's a complete bellend.

You can only hope because if he's any good, then the book will be well and truly thrown!!
  • Options
    Apparently being considered for the Grimsby job.
  • Options
    Well, Eric Cantona likes trawlers so why not.

" Ze Sol Campbell he follows ze trawler"
  • Options
    His bizarre ego wasn't as obvious when he was a player.

Just out of nowhere he became suddenly full of himself.

I felt bad for him in the closing stages of his career as I remember rumours spreading about a private life part of his sexuality that no one needs to know...or is even very relevant.

Didn't expect the "I'm a god" thing to happen.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Think he's being badly advised by whoever's around him
  • Options
    Allow me again...

Hahahahhahahaha

• Options
    I'm not sure Sol would have liked living in Grimsby anyway.
  • Options
    He needs to be a no2 somewhere to build up his rep
  • Options
    agim said:

Or a youth coach or a first team coach. Or a scout or anything where he is actually working in football watching tbe players getting the contacts etc. And more importantly getting the experience in order to actually manage.

In that interview he talks about his dedication needed to get his coaching badges once he had retired as though it had made him and that alone should get him a job. Well most players do those while still playing and start coaching youth teams etc right at the bottom. Gotta work your way up.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Allow me again...

Hahahahhahahaha

To be fair, sounds like he's a born manager. Pretty common to hear a variation of this sentence from 'managers' in most jobs I've ever had:
    "it might be that I don't know this division, but you can get people in around you who do"
    So - basically - have no fucking talent yourself, but get some poor bastard in who does all the work for you then take the credit and inflated salary. He's barking up the wrong tree here with football management - he should go into IT....
  • Options
    "When you look at it, when I retired, I wanted a bit of a break but within 18 months I started doing my courses. That took three and a half years, and that's dedication in itself."

Like, get over yourself man.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Allow me again...

Hahahahhahahaha

That article annoys me... they say that Michael Jolley has no experience himself BUT

- He's worked within the ranks of another Youth club (Something Sol Campbell hasn't done)
    - He's gone abroad to manage AFC Eskilstuna in the Swedish Premier League so yes he does have experience!!
  • Options

agim said:

Or a youth coach or a first team coach. Or a scout or anything where he is actually working in football watching tbe players getting the contacts etc. And more importantly getting the experience in order to actually manage.

In that interview he talks about his dedication needed to get his coaching badges once he had retired as though it had made him and that alone should get him a job. Well most players do those while still playing and start coaching youth teams etc right at the bottom. Gotta work your way up.
    Exactly, our own Sir Chris Powell (to avoid the race question) did the badges... Then did coaching and other work before we offered him a job. He certainly didn't expect to just be handed a full time management position just because he'd played in the Premier league.