Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Zander Diamond

edited August 2009 in Rumours
Taken from today's Scottish Sun. We should sign him for his name alone!

CHARLTON have targeted Aberdeen defender Zander Diamond.
The Addicks want to pair Diamond with former Rangers and Scotland centre-half Christian Dailly.

Boss Phil Parkinson is trying to offload players to bankroll a six-figure bid for the stopper.
And a cash offer would test the Dons' resolve as they battle to balance the books.
They've already lost captain Scott Severin, Jamie Smith and Lee Mair this summer.
New boss Mark McGhee has been starved of cash for replacements after the collapse of Setanta. He hinted last week that he'd be willing to flog a first-choice star to fund new recruits.
But a woeful shortage of defenders was badly exposed as Aberdeen crashed out of the Europa League 8-1 to Czech cracks Sigma Olomouc.
Now Charlton are poised to bid for Diamond, who missed the Euro clashes through a calf injury.
The 24-year-old has played almost 200 games for the Dons and has two years left on his contract. Director of football Willie Miller would not be keen to lose him on the cheap.
Diamond is one of the club's highest-rated players and is a candidate to replace Severin as skipper.

Comments

• Options
    our scouts must look at results and think...

'hmmmm, lost 8-1, lets sign their centre half, must be a cracker'.

As an aside though..............

ZANDER DIAMOND last night revealed Aberdeen's players will find out all about their Europa League opponents on Championship Manager.

Soon after the Dons discovered they will face either Czechs Sigma Olomouc or Fram Rekjavik of Iceland, the players got their laptops out to scour the popular game for information.

Mark McGhee's side have been glued to the managerial sim since they arrived in the tiny Austrian outpost of Obertraun for preseason training.

Now they'll use the game to get clued up on the teams they could face on July 30 in the third qualifying round.

Diamond was pleased with the draw but insists the Dons will still have to approach it as if they were coming up against a top European side.

He said: "When you look at some of the teams in the competition we would have taken this draw beforehand.

"We don't know much about them but I am sure the management will scout them in the next couple of weeks.

"It is exciting times for everyone and it was great watching the names coming out on the UEFA website.

"We don't know much about these teams so a lot of the boys will be straight on to Championship Manager to find out as much as they can about them.

That worked then.
  • Options
    Was going to say something similar about his name.
    Unfortunately it's not his real name :-( He's actually Alexander Diamond
    Wiki also says he captained Scotland u21s. And he has 20/20 for determination in FM ;-) Another 'good character' that Parky seems to be going for?

Played quite a lot for Aberdeen since he was 18. Contract runs out in the summer of 2011. Surely they'd at least want a few hundred £k for him? Either we've managed to get a decent bit of money for Gray, we're selling one of the midfielders or we're going to get a bit of money from this takeover? Or this is just a rumour and we can't actually afford to pay a fee for anyone?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charltonparklane[/cite]our scouts must look at results and think...

'hmmmm, lost 8-1, lets sign their centre half, must be a cracker'.
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]Now Charlton are poised to bid for Diamond, who missed the Euro clashes through a calf injury.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Stefco[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Charltonparklane[/cite]our scouts must look at results and think...

'hmmmm, lost 8-1, lets sign their centre half, must be a cracker'.[/quote]

[quote][cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]Now Charlton are poised to bid for Diamond, who missed the Euro clashes through a calf injury.[/quote][/quote]

Point taken!!!
  • Options
    He`s a gem !
  • Options
    Lacks lustre in my book, needs the stick & carat routine.
  • Options
    could shine in our side.

A bit rough but PP will polish him.
  • Options
    not sure the right signing for these times - big carbon footprint
  • Options
    Wonder if he's prone to taking a tumble?
  • Options
    "Now Charlton are poised to bid for Diamond, who missed the Euro clashes through a calf injury"

so didnt play in the 8-1 thrashing , a good sign
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Would've been 1-0 on aggregate to them if he'd have played, FACT.
  • Options
    always good on FM so must be good.. :-)
  • Options
    He's a class player, have seen him play a couple of times for Scotland under 21's and in the SPL. Not sure there's anything in this story though, the Scottish Sun probably just saw we'd signed one Scottish defender and thought "why not link them with another" !
  • Options
    I heard there are many facets to his game.
  • Options
    Wasn't his dad a player too? Is he a chip off the old block?
  • Options
    We can't just sign one new centre back, we'll still be short at the back. We need a double Diamond signing.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Was going to say something similar about his name.
    Unfortunately it's not his real name :-( He's actually Alexander Diamond
    Wiki also says he captained Scotland u21s. And he has 20/20 for determination in FM ;-) Another 'good character' that Parky seems to be going for?
    Sandy or Zander are normal nicknames for Alexanders in Scotland. He'd be good for us, but can't see this proving to be true, they'd surely want a fee... maybe if there was a t...
  • Options
    Hope it's true as he's actually very bloody good!
  • Options
    Hmm, now I would be happy with this. He's been linked with medium side clubs for a couple of years now. I saw Aberdeen play Bayern Munich in the UEFA cup last year & he had a cracker. I thinkn it was 2 each & he scored & was a constant menace all night/ Think he may have played in midfield that night but centre half is his favoured position.
  • Options
    I've heard that he drives an opal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hope we get lots of singing of Shine on you crazy diamond
  • Options
    I hope we don't Rush den find out he's no good
  • Options
    he is a bit slow, the opposition will run rings round him ...
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Decent player but an absolute c**t of a man. I hope to god this doesn't go through as I personally can't stand him and think there is better out there even in the SPL.
  • Options
    Not sure if his wife Lucy will like London...
  • Options
    How comes he's such a cnut Glasgow?
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    [quote][cite]Posted By: GlasgowAddick[/cite]Decent player but an absolute c**t of a man. I hope to god this doesn't go through as I personally can't stand him and think there is better out there even in the SPL.[/quote]

Close friends are you then?

Or is this because he was at Celtic before joining Aberden?
  • Options
    Watch the language a touch please.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    He's as hard as they come so should be up to the rigours of lower league football, but I hear he can be a bit precious - do we want another prima donna in the ranks?

Definitely a cut above what we have though.
  • Options
    Apologies for the language. He's just one of those players the opposition hate and of course he likes to rub it in to us if Aberdeen beat Rangers as he's a Celtic fan. Its a touch personal but I just can't stand him.