Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kandol linked with move

edited August 2009 in Rumours
Kandol linked

Leeds United: Robins eye Tres deal

Charlton Athletic hope to take Tresor Kandol off Leeds United's hands before the transfer window closes by finalising a permanent deal to sign the striker.
The London club are aiming to take Kandol back to The Valley after recruiting him on loan from Elland Road for the second half of last season. Kandol scored twice in 13 appearances for Charlton, who finished bottom of the Championship and were relegated in May, and United are willing to listen to approaches for a player who played little part in their pre-season campaign.
The Congolese international started Leeds' friendly at Wealdstone on July 21, scoring in a 2-1 defeat, but the outing was his only appearance of the summer and he was left out of the club's two-match tour of Ireland.
His lack of activity suggests he remains on the very fringes of manager Simon Grayson's plans, and he is not expected to figure in the squad named against Exeter City on Saturday.
Charlton are looking to re-sign Kandol, who is midway through a long-term contract at Elland Road, but a deal is unlikely to be secured until takeover talks at The Valley have been completed.
Charlton's board have been in negotiations with prospective new owners for some time but an agreement has not yet been reached, and the impasse is affecting the club's transfer dealings.
Championship side Barnsley have been attempting to sign former Leeds striker Andy Gray but claimed over the weekend that they had been unable to conclude a deal because of the delay in the sale of Charlton.
A statement released last week by Charlton's directors read: "The sale of a football club is an extremely complex process, and that is why we have been unable to give any concrete timelines as to a possible completion of such a sale."
Kandol, inset, has not been involved with the first team at Elland Road since the 2008 League One play-off final, when he appeared as a substitute, and Leeds were happy to loan him out for the whole of last season.
He joined Millwall for the first half of the term, playing 22 times and scoring eight goals, and then moved to Charlton in January after Millwall opted against extending his temporary deal.
Despite his lack of involvement with Leeds, Kandol is tied to a lengthy deal which does not expire until the summer of 2011.
He secured a long-term contract while Dennis Wise was manager of United in 2007 but neither Gary McAllister nor present boss Simon Grayson have used him regularly.
Grayson has at least four other strikers ahead of Kandol in the selection order at Elland Road, and he made an unsuccessful attempt to sign forward Warren Feeney from Cardiff City last month. The deal for Feeney fell through after the Northern Ireland international failed a medical.
Charlton manager Phil Parkinson made his feelings about Kandol clear in April, saying: "I'd love to sign him permanently. He's been excellent and I think he'll get better as well."

Comments

• Options
    just because some Northern rag suggests it doesn't mean it's got any substance. Load of balony.
  • Options
    I hope so as I don't rate him much but this def has legs IMO. Parky is a known admirer.
  • Options
    I don't trust people who call us "Robins"
  • Options
    Decent player IMHO and would suit 451 better than Burton but could also play alongside Deon in a 442.

As he's at Leeds who knows what sort of wages he is on.
  • Options
    With the ball to feet he is dangerous, but as the 1 in a 451 do not expect him to chase lost causes
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Decent player IMHO and would suit 451 better than Burton but could also play alongside Deon in a 442.

As he's at Leeds who knows what sort of wages he is on.

Well as Ken Bates signed him (I presume) not that much I would think.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]I don't trust people who call us "Robins"
    That's Yorkshire for you, they think it's still the 70s, hence their fashion sense and belief that Leed's are a big club.
  • Options
    Kandol's Facebook status a few days ago said he was really dissallusioned with life at Leeds and needed answers.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]Kandol's Facebook status a few days ago said he was really dissallusioned with life at Leeds and needed answers.

That didn't quite get the coverage of darren bent's twittering then
  • Options
    I won't believe it until it's in News Shopper
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: BBClaus[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]Kandol's Facebook status a few days ago said he was really dissallusioned with life at Leeds and needed answers.

That didn't quite get the coverage of darren bent's twittering then

I only saw it cos the Leeds fans were talking about it. They thought it was quite funny.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: chablis addick[/cite]I won't believe it until it's in News Shopper

LOL
  • Options
    Two goals in thirteen games, and both of them were in the same game. Not much of a reccomendation is it ? Not for me thanks. Great celebration though.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: BexleyRed[/cite]Two goals in thirteen games, and both of them were in the same game. Not much of a reccomendation is it ? Not for me thanks. Great celebration though.[/quote]

Very few strikers are going to be prolific playing upfront on their own. He will do a reasonable job leading the line and if played in a 4-4-2 will score goals. I'd much prefer him to a Gills reject.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BexleyRed[/cite]Two goals in thirteen games, and both of them were in the same game. Not much of a reccomendation is it ? Not for me thanks. Great celebration though.

But he got 8 in 18 for Millwall at this level as well

So if we should keep Dixon for his one good spell for Gills when he couldn't score with us then Kandol's two goals, and good goals there were too, justify keeping him.

I think he had a great game v Soton when he really beat up their defence and won a pen as well.

Worth getting if we can afford him IMHO
  • Options
    I agree Henry, he did play well in that one game. My point was that he had a lot of time on the pitch and didn't do very much. Dicko had only four or five starts and looked good, coming on for the last ten minutes every week, isnt what I call being given a chance.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BexleyRed[/cite]I agree Henry, he did play well in that one game. My point was that he had a lot of time on the pitch and didn't do very much. Dicko had only four or five starts and looked good, coming on for the last ten minutes every week, isnt what I call being given a chance.

Dickson certainly didn't look good against Doncaster -- as inept a performance as I've ever seen from a pro footballer.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BexleyRed[/cite]I agree Henry, he did play well in that one game. My point was that he had a lot of time on the pitch and didn't do very much. Dicko had only four or five starts and looked good, coming on for the last ten minutes every week, isnt what I call being given a chance.

Not just that one game. Also the game when he scored twice at home and others.

He was on loan in a struggling side.

Not knocking Dixon but he's not done much outside of that purple patch at Gills when mnay of his goals were in the Johnstones paint trophy. He flopped at Crewe and hasn't impressed when given, admittedly often limited, chances by Charlton.

Mark Kinsella was of the view that Gills long ball game suited him better that our passing game so maybe that is why.

Kandol is a different type of player but he has scored goals on a fairly regular basis during his career.
  • Options
    Ok, at the end of the day what we all want is someone to put the ball in the net on a regular basis, Whoever that is will be a hero.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Kandol is a different type of player but he has scored goals on a fairly regular basis during his career.
    Goalscoring record is pretty poor really. Decent spell with Leeds and Milwall last few seasons, that's about it.

Still, his most recent seasons are the most relevant. At this level he'll get a few, but I don't think he's a natural goalscorer and I wouldn't want us relying on him to score consistently.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    if we play 451 which PP seems to do to cater for Jon Jo's talents then U have goals from midfield but need someone to lead the line.

IMHO kandol is better suited to that role than burton plus the two can play together in a 442
  • Options
    Kandol scored 4 goals in a behind closed doors friendly against Newcastle yesterday.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]Kandol scored 4 goals in a behind closed doors friendly against Newcastle yesterday.
    That ain't saying much. My Sunday league side would beat the barcodes
  • Options
    If this is true then I assume there'll be a striker on the way out. My vote would go to Gray.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]Kandol scored 4 goals in a behind closed doors friendly against Newcastle yesterday.

was that for us or Leeds?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]

A pretty strong Leeds XI beat a very young Newcastle XI 5-1. Kandol only played the second half and scored a hattrick in 16 mins.

Leeds will want a fee. Until the dreaded TO is resolved he won't be joining us.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]

A pretty strong Leeds XI beat a very young Newcastle XI 5-1. Kandol only played the second half and scored a hattrick in 16 mins.

Leeds will want a fee. Until the dreaded TO is resolved he won't be joining us.

Thanks - I think he would be a good signing. He always seemed a bif of a handful last year and worked well with Burton.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]if we play 451 which PP seems to do to cater for Jon Jo's talents then U have goals from midfield but need someone to lead the line.

IMHO kandol is better suited to that role than burton plus the two can play together in a 442
    I agree with this, though I'd like to think there's a better player out there for us than Kandol, but can't quite think who it might be.
  • Options
    The best pairing I saw all last season was Kandol and Dickson when we ran riot at home. They got half a game in the next game away and never played together again .....

Why not?? I'd bring him in - he's better than our other options.
  • Options
    I suspect this move might be dependent on Fleetwood and/or Dickson going and us getting some money for them.