Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Are Man City the new Chelsea?

As Manchester City take their spending to £ 100 million do you:-
a) Hope they fail miserably in the new season
b) Hope they succeed and challenge the big 4 for the title
c) Not give a toss because you're sick of how money has ruined the game and are looking forward to watching 'proper' football next season.

Comments

• b)

and then fall flat on their face next year.
  • B) Perhaps when one of the Big Four starts Losing Champions League money they'll realise Parity for the rest of the league moneywise is the only solution to making the league more competitive.
  • B definately, the big 4 need a wake up call and this could be it....once one of them 'drops out' then as Ketman said they'll realise the money needs to be spread a bit more evenly.

I'd love to see City right up there this season.
  • What Ketman said
  • C) Really really don't give a toss any more about premier league or champions league and that's not just 'cos we're not in the top flight anymore. The 7 years we spent mixing it with the big guns is a big part of the reason we're in the mess we're in now. I'll be quite happy with a successful season in div3 and occassional visits to watch Tonbridge in the Ryman prem. As you say, proper football.
  • B.

I hope they win the lot, Abramovich walks, the Glazers walk and those 2 idiots at Liverpool do one as well! Things need evening up! Maybe Man City winning everything will show how ridiculous football has become.
  • B. Not so much for challenging for the title (as I dont think they will) but I'd love to see them get 4th place instead of Ars*nal. To see them fcukers down the road in N5 finally get put in their place, £400m in debt and out of the champions league would be music to my ears. However, it obviously puts Spurs further out of the reckoning for doing anything worthwhile in the league... I could live for another 250 years and I doubt I would see Spurs win the league.
  • a) If just spending tons of money is shown to succeed instantly it will be very bad for football .
  • B as per Ketman, would be good for football if one or more of Manu/Liverpool/Chelsea failed to make the CL.
  • edited July 2009
    B with a bit of C.
    To win leagues and cups you have to spend big and pay top dollar in salaries as City are doing now. I for one welcome a top 5 knowing that someone will miss out on their bugeted for Champions league place.

But as a Charlton supporter of many years I know even when we were in the Prem we were only making the numbers up. So I dont really give a toss about others wealth.
  • Sponsored links:

• B, and them breaking the top 4 will seriously hurt one of the Sky 4 who need the Champions League money, the pain for example on Arsenal would be massive.
  • Has to be B as i too would also like one of the top 4 to crash out of it. However it wouldn't surprise me to suddenly hears calls for the premier leagues top 5 to make the CL due to our clubs recent success in the competition.
  • I reckon they might have overtaken Arsenal this summer.
  • B for reasons outlined above.
  • [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]I reckon they might have overtaken Arsenal this summer.

Well there cherry picking the talent.

Arsenal need CL money to pay for the Emirates especially now the Highbury redevelopment looks like it won't bring in the money
  • [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]I reckon they might have overtaken Arsenal this summer.

Not necessarily. They've already got a replacement for Toure and Adebayor was rubbish last season. If they can get Eduardo fit and scoring and sign the decent midfielder they desperately need then they won't do too badly. City could take time to gel, plus what happens when some of their 8 strikers get the hump at being left out.
  • [cite]Posted By: raddickle[/cite]As Manchester City take their spending to £ 100 million do you:-
    c) Not give a toss because you're sick of how money has ruined the game and are looking forward to watching 'proper' football next season.

B

I have never understood the sentiment that money has ruined football. The quality of the football we see today in our top league is vastly superior to what we watched in the 70's and 80's and early 90's. We have many of the best players in the world playing in our Premiership and the only reason for that is the money.

Abramavich has been nothing other than a positive influence on our football. If he had not come along and invested in Chelsea, Man United would have continued to outspend everyone else by millions and dominated the premiership even more than they have done.

I really hope Man City break into the top four next season. But, as everyone knows it is not just about the quality of the players. Even more important in my opinion is the quality and experience of the manager and his coaching staff.
  • I wish City well and laugh hysterically at Chelsea fans (who have popped up like mushrooms) saying how City's money has distorted football!! City are a much bigger club than Chelsea historically and it will be nice to see them mess up the boring cosy four's little tea party. As it stands only ManUre and Chavsea have a chance of actually winning the title and Liverpool and Arsenal just make up the numbers of the top 4 anyway.
  • Personally, I would like to see another 10 teams breaking into the top four, if you get what I mean.
  • C.

Don't care, only worried about Charlton. Although it's a shame that a player like Craig Bellamy is now going to get paid for doing nothing.
  • Sponsored links:

• C as I'm sure it'll still be the same borefest this year (ooh aah). Would only care if Charlton or Rangers (;o) were involved.
  • C.

I'm only bothered about my own club these days. the premier league may as well be played in a parallel universe as far as I'm concerned.
  • A - I hope they fail miserably but that aston Villa/Everton break into the top 4.
  • D- I'm a Charlton fan so don't much care about the premiership anymore.
  • the quality of football in the prem has been brilliant in recent years and 5 of them mixing it up will be more exciting than 4 -3-2-1 ....

i wonder what sort of quality an exciting even 20 team league would be like get real ffs to have 3-5 pushing for the title is a result ...

yep in an ideal world we/everyone could challenge for it but that's the same world where all charlton players were born in charlton and support charlton and came through charltons youth ranks and were brilliant not wank it just doesn't exist.....
  • [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]A - I hope they fail miserably but that aston Villa/Everton break into the top 4.

I concur.
  • B for me. I think ketman puts it pretty well. Like chris from Sidcup though. Would not be surprised if suddenly there's a push. For 5 CL spots tho.
  • [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]A - I hope they fail miserably but that aston Villa/Everton break into the top 4.

What Mr Lung said. 100% agree with everything you said dude.
  • It just might have been us had the Zabeel deal gone through...I'm not jealous...a bit envious maybe...but certainly not jealous.
  • [cite]Posted By: raddickle[/cite]As Manchester City take their spending to £ 100 million do you:-

c) because i m tired of seeing money poison the once beautiful game