Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Darren Bent

edited July 2009 in General Charlton
Looks like Bent is off to Sunderland for a reported £16m..... anyone know if we negotiated a sell on % when he went to spurs?

Comments

• Options
    its in a few other threads, short answer NO... we chose fast payment instead..
  • Options
    ...which Pardew spent!
  • Options
    Good luck to him though, I would like to see him at Sunderland. Obviously I would rather see him at Charlton, before anyone states the obvious...
  • Options
    I thought he was only any good when Danny Murphy played behind him and slotted the ball through inch perfectly for him on the edge of the box.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PL54[/cite]I thought he was only any good when Danny Murphy played behind him and slotted the ball through inch perfectly for him on the edge of the box.

Oh dear, WUM alert
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: PL54[/cite]I thought he was only any good when Danny Murphy played behind him and slotted the ball through inch perfectly for him on the edge of the box.[/quote]

Yeh, I thought he was rubbish. He only scored when he put the ball over the goal line.
  • Options
    ha ha ha
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: PL54[/cite]I thought he was only any good when Danny Murphy played behind him and slotted the ball through inch perfectly for him on the edge of the box.[/quote]

Darren Bent was at his best running on a ball, using his pace and timing runs perfectly, which is why he was a great header of the ball. I'm not so sure that he needed inch-perfect passes, he doesn't have a particularly good first touch and when the ball was played to him when he was static it nullified his best asset which was pace. Unfortunately Spurs played to his weaknesses quite often, preferring to use Defoe as the player who'd run on to loose balls and do the fox in the box thing, hence their disillusionment with him, and besides that whoever signed him has long gone and Harry does like to get in his own players wherever he goes.

I can see why Sunderland will want him - in his first season for us I think he scored in both games and clubs tend to remember things like that, the first goal (and his first for us) was an excellent example of where and how he should be used, chasing a through ball and finishing well while under pressure.
  • Options
    ho ho ho
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite
    I can see why Sunderland will want him - in his first season for us I think he scored in both games and clubs tend to remember things like that, the first goal (and his first for us) was an excellent example of where and how he should be used, chasing a through ball and finishing well while under pressure.

As I recall he scored 2 in that match (2nd one virtually in injury time). That was the match where Ambrose got sent off on his debut.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A compilation of some of the goals he scored for us:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JktGvreSsiI

Note that he only scored when the ball was played to his feet by Danny Murphy...
  • Options
    He was alright, but he's no Deon Burton is he??
  • Options
    http://astonvilla-views.com/2009/07/10/darren-bent-for-john-carew/
  • Options
    hee hee hee
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PL54[/cite]I thought he was only any good when Danny Murphy played behind him and slotted the ball through inch perfectly for him on the edge of the box.

Well he'll have Andy Reid to do that for him now won't he!...again!
  • Options
    Not if he goes villa
  • Options
    I think Villa would be the better move for him, espcially if Young and Carew stay. Even if they play a 4-5-1 again like O'Neil has done before there then he'll still score goals and hopefully get back in the England squad for the World Cup
  • Options
    Darren Bent was at the centre of an internet controversy last night after detrimental comments about Daniel Levy, the Tottenham Hotspur chairman, were posted on a social networking site. The Spurs and England centre forward, is understood to be frustrated about the slow pace of his transfer from the North London side to Sunderland as the clubs haggle over a fee and the size of installment payments.

After the striker was pulled out of Tottenham's tour to China on Monday, details appeared on a Twitter account in his name regarding his proposed move. The same account - credited to db10thetruth - which features photographs of Bent DJing and of recent Spurs friendly matches, yesterday purported to illustrate the extent of the 25-year-old's increasing anger at the transfer negotiations.

“Seriously getting p***** off now,” was the message posted at lunchtime, followed by “Why can't anything be simple. It's so frustrating hanging round doing jack s***.”

After stating that “Sunderland are not the problem in the slightest” there then followed more stringent criticism of Levy. “Do I wanna go Hull City NO. Do I wanna go stoke NO do I wanna go sunderland YES so stop f****** around levy .”

The Times contacted Sunderland, Tottenham and Bent's representative last night. While all of them confirmed that Bent is a regular tweeter, none had established whether the player was responsible for the posts.
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article6734156.ece

Think it was really him?
  • Options
    if it was who could blame him ? Wasn't long ago Redknapp was saying his wife was better than Benty and now he's worth 16m. Why doesn't Redknapp sell Sandra to Sunderland then ? Hate Spurs as much as I do Palarse and Millwall. Go Benty I say.
  • Options
    Chatting to a Spurs fan tonight, who was slagging off Bent for the way he used to react when substituted... that's a load of rubbish isn't it?

(Although his twitter posts recently have clearly been that of a frustrated young man!)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redknapp was a proper c*** for saying that. Went down massively in my estimation - especially considering some of the old pony he's signed as forwards in his time.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]if it was who could blame him ? Wasn't long ago Redknapp was saying his wife was better than Benty and now he's worth 16m. Why doesn't Redknapp sell Sandra to Sunderland then ? Hate Spurs as much as I do Palarse and Millwall. Go Benty I say.

Mate I cannot put into words how much I hate those absolute cretins. Primarily because of their fans but also because of the entire clubs love of that spiv Redknapp, they have short memories that lot. No, actually just because of their dickless fans. Darren Bent missed what can generously be described as a half chance against Arsenal and they all turned on him.
  • Options
    Bent would be a great buy for the Mackems, I bet Bruce will get a very tidy side together up there and they'll be top 10 comfortably. I also reckon that Bruce is getting himself nailed on to be the next Man United boss.

Bent and Kenwynne Jones up front would be a right handful for most Premiership defences, especially if Reid is fit to load the bullets.
  • Options
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jul/31/tottenham-darren-bent-sunderland-twitter-daniel-levy
  • Options
    I think Spurs are making a big mistake letting him go. I despise Harry "I'll never go to Southampton; I'll never back to Portsmouth" RedKnapp. His recent comment that he has 4 top strikers at Spurs (not including Bent in that list) topped it off for me. Hope Bent bangs them in for Sunderland next season.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]if it was who could blame him ? Wasn't long ago Redknapp was saying his wife was better than Benty and now he's worth 16m. Why doesn't Redknapp sell Sandra to Sunderland then ? Hate Spurs as much as I do Palarse and Millwall. Go Benty I say.

Large, I really don't think Redknapp - twitching twat that he is, said that. I think he made an offhand comment about a missed chance. I don't agree with the approach, but let's stick to what actually happened.

And let's put the boot on the other foot. I reckon that having a slightly frustrating time at work while getting paid in excess of £2M a year is adequate enough compensation to ask you not to swear about your employer on a public forum.
  • Options
    His Twitter posts this morning regarding Levy won't endear him anymore to the Spurs fans, even if the bloke is a p***k. Think he'll be a good buy for the mackams, with Malbranque and Reid playing behind him he should enough chances. Give him a run of games and he'll score, something the spurs fans and managers haven't understood.
  • Options
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]

Large, I really don't think Redknapp - twitching twat that he is, said that. I think he made an offhand comment about a missed chance. I don't agree with the approach, but let's stick to what actually happened.

sorry but that really is nitpicking. I suppose I should have said that when Darren Bent esq of Tottenham Hotspur missed an easy chance against 'whoever it was' from a cross by 'whoever that was' on 'whatever date it was' his manager, Mr H Redknapp esq of said Tottenham Hotspur remarked, maybe jokingly, 'my wife Sandra could have scored that'. Saying that implies that his wife is better than Benty, what I said originally. Jesus.
  • Options
    Good Man Benty Boy

If you want out let em know.