Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Olympics

I noticed its 3 years till London 2012 and as most of you are probably from London I was wondering if you really think the games will have any benefit on the surrounding areas and for for the future in terms of a sporting legacy or is it a case of "this is another tax burden we really could do without thanks to Labour"?

Is this going to be a bit like Wimbledon...people will watch and hope Brits do well but once its over the numbers swimming,running and cycling will not greatly increase just because of the Olympics?

Comments

• Options
    apparently it might boost charltons value cos it's quite near us
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Super_horns[/cite]I noticed its 3 years till London 2012 and as most of you are probably from London I was wondering if you really think the games will have any benefit on the surrounding areas and for for the future in terms of a sporting legacy or is it a case of "this is another tax burden we really could do without thanks to Labour"?[/quote]

London has lacked investment into its social fabric and the money that is being spent should not just be considered to be a 2012 thing and then what (a problem that has afflicted many other cities that have hosted the games) but about the legacy. A lot of much needed housing will be constructed, transport infrastructure will be built and there'll be some top-class sporting venues left. Currently London's only international athletics arena is at Crystal Palace and that's a disgrace. The sporting venues have been designed so that once the games are over a lot of the extra seating that is there for the Olympics can be dismantled and so the arenas will be stripped down and be more suitable for smaller, less well attended non-Olympic sporting occasions.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Good to see some positive comments because I was ready the "Have your say" stuff on BBC and well most were pretty depressed (although TBH having read that before most people are anyway on that site about anything to do with this country!)

Naturally they may not be sporting fans and ofcourse have a point that money could be spent elsewhere but then that is another debate!
  • Options
    i think they are ahead of schedule too which must be a big disappointment to the daily mail. we did have a ridiculous scare story that greenwich park would be closed for a year and a load of trees knocked down,ffs!
  • Options
    The Daily Hate has a big problem with the Olympics, when Ken was mayor they could stick the knife in reflexively. Now their darling Boris is mayor and supports the Olympics what are they going to do?
  • Options
    Just can't wait, 3 years and a couple of hours to go
  • Options
    The venues are on schedule to open in 2011, a year early so they can be tested and problems ironed out well before the Olympics start.
  • Options
    They're talking now of not downsizing the stadium in preperation for a 2018 world cup. Not sure how the northerners would react to three venues in london being used (potentially more with Tottenham's expansion plans).

In theory we could have 4 60000+ stadiums in london. So if the FA wanted to use simply the biggest ground for a world cup then it would be:

wembley
    old trafford
    stratford
    new tottenham?
    new anfield?
    newcastle
    sunderland
    villa
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]The Daily Hate has a big problem with the Olympics, when Ken was mayor they could stick the knife in reflexively. Now their darling Boris is mayor and supports the Olympics what are they going to do?[/quote]

Naturally when it does come and GB win medals they will be the first with massive headlines beaming with praise ofcourse!

I think some are just worried it will be like the Dome...and use it to have a bash at Labour (which maybe they deserve)
  • Options
    Can't wait!

London is a first class city and it's regenerated an area that badly needed money pouring into it.

May be a Kent resident but I'm a Londoner at heart and yes I would have gladly paid extra on my Council tax as the whole country will benefit!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Never been to an Olympics before and then suddenly it looks like I'll be able to sample two in a row, winter then summer. It's only 6 months here until the Winter Olympics here although it better get a bit cooler by then as it's 30 degrees and sunny here today.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: randy andy[/cite]They're talking now of not downsizing the stadium in preperation for a 2018 world cup. Not sure how the northerners would react to three venues in london being used (potentially more with Tottenham's expansion plans).

yeah,that'll be great and cheap keeping an empty stadium for 6 years. what crackpot came up with that clever idea?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: randy andy[/cite]They're talking now of not downsizing the stadium in preperation for a 2018 world cup. Not sure how the northerners would react to three venues in london being used (potentially more with Tottenham's expansion plans).

yeah,that'll be great and cheap keeping an empty stadium for 6 years. what crackpot came up with that clever idea?

Was mentioned on ITV news a lunch time. Not sure why it would be empty for 6 years though? If it was downsized to 25000, I assume they'd find uses for it, so why should it being bigger suddenly make them not use it? Surely it would be used more. They could offer to the same sort of events using wembley, but for a lower cost and better transport links.
  • Options
    It'll be a great show but I think the Olympics should be nationwide and not restricted to a city (I know some events are else where). A £20m brand new Basketball arena to be demolished after the games wouldn't happen if it was built away from the Olympic site.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]It'll be a great show but I think the Olympics should be nationwide and not restricted to a city (I know some events are else where). A £20m brand new Basketball arena to be demolished after the games wouldn't happen if it was built away from the Olympic site.[/quote]

It would benefit more people (and suit those who are anti London/South!) but I understand it was London or nothing.
  • Options
    greenwich park

Update on closure of Greenwich Park ... but bear in mind it is Andrew Gilligan reporting.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]greenwich park

Update on closure of Greenwich Park ... but bear in mind it is Andrew Gilligan reporting.

Why, specifically, would that be a concern?
  • Options
    Because despite the fact that he is always willing to take up a fight, and more than happy to go against Greenwich council when required (something we can all can fully relate to), he has a tendency to write headline journalism and interpret facts in his own way.

On the contra side, I am more than happy that one journalist is actually highlighting this issue in the media but have a concern that at times it is more to promote himself than face the problem.
  • Options
    No i resent paying the additional council tax (which is overinflated anyway) for something that will be no benefit to me personally...just like a lot of the things council and income tax are. Unlikely Ill be able to get a ticket for the 100m mens final or boxing final which is the only thing that interests me and unlikely in my lifetime that ill ever use the facilities.

Particularly when i see some of the salaries that are getting paid it annoys me the money it is costing below average earners just cos they happen to live in a borough that constitutes london.

Pleased if the people of east london are getting better housing but then that should be borne by the whole country not just londoners.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]greenwich park

Why, specifically, would that be a concern?

I'd be wary of anything that Gilligan writes, especially if it has any connection to Boris Johnston. After Gilligan got the tin-tack from the BBC Boris helped get him a job at the Evening Standard and in return Gilligan wrote a series of articles attacking any/everything to do with Ken Livingstone as Mayor of London. You might think so what...but he also played a part in the death of David Kelly and the sexed-up dossier that led to the Iraq war.
  • Options
    at woolwich barracks on the 31st there is a fun day to celebrate 1000 days to the olympics.

linky here