Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Amir Khan

World Champion at 22, such an average fighter - discuss

Comments

• That's what I like , giving credit where it's due

FFS
  • Thought he did a very professional job to beat the man in front of him, so on that basis he deserves the title.

He looks a different fighter to a year ago, and has made the most of Frank Warren being able to manoeuvre him into a position to win the belt.
  • [cite]Posted By: NorthStandUltra[/cite]World Champion at 22, such an average fighter - discuss

Wouldn't mind betting he could beat the granny out of you pal!!
  • Roache has done a fantastic job with him.

His natural peak should be in 3-4 years time, holding him back for that long though is going to be a tough job.
  • well done the lad, I and many other have doubted him, but he's fronted up, learnt his lessons, and is turning into a proper champion.
  • Thought he was superb (listened on the radio).
    Saw him on SSN this morning & hardly a mark on him.
  • I have to be honest, I thought he was going to get over-excited and Kotelnik would catch him out late on.

He didn't, he boxed very well and professionally. There is room for improvement but I can pick holes in anyone.

Fair play to him he deserves it, the new guard of British boxing is bubbling up now. Haye, Khan, Froch. Kev Mitchell and John Murray need to start pressing their feet on the gas too now.
  • [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: NorthStandUltra[/cite]World Champion at 22, such an average fighter - discuss

Wouldn't mind betting he could beat the granny out of you pal!!

probably could but I'm allowed my opinion aren't I
  • [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]That's what I like , giving credit where it's due

FFS

again, I'm entitled to my own opinion. That's what I love about this board now, the way that people just jump down your throat when they don't agree with you.
  • No it's more about the guy is a British world champ easily beating a highly rated world champion and still some peoeple want to slag him off.

All entitled to our opinions but sometimes they don't make sense
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: NorthStandUltra[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]That's what I like , giving credit where it's due

FFS

again, I'm entitled to my own opinion. That's what I love about this board now, the way that people just jump down your throat when they don't agree with you.

TBH you did make a potentially controversial statement ie a world champ is average and ask people to discuss.

I don't really follow boxing so don't know if he is a good fighter or not but even with 3 or 4 belts around at each weight he must be semi-decent to win a title IMHO.

Also he's 22 and seems to be still learning his trade. maybe because he come into public view as a 17 year old more is expected of him while all his learning and mistakes have been made in the full glare of the cameras.
  • Stop being so bloody sensible (Sir) Henry....
  • NSU...(Non Specific Uteritus)....well you did ask and you got told........LOL!
  • edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]NSU...(Non Specific Uteritus)....well you did ask and you got told........LOL!

Hardly got told did I
  • [cite]Posted By: NorthStandUltra[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]NSU...(Non Specific Uteritus)....well you did ask and you got told........LOL!

funny man

Thanks.
  • Roach seems to think he'll beat Hatton atm, and Roach knows his stuff. According to Roach Khan won quite a few sparring rounds against Pacquiao, thoguh after a while Pacquiao started coming out on top. Don't think anyone standing toe to toe with Pacquiao is average - there's no way Pacquiao would go easy on a possible sparring or no sparring. Still personally Khan against Hatton at this stage in Khan's career would be disastrous for Khan.

Watching Nathan Cleverley last night thought he was really impressive, almost definitely gonna get a world belt.
  • Cleverly is going to be something special, incredibly fast hands. See a lot of the Calzaghe influence in him
  • I think Hatton will give him his head to play with, but he's a good fighter and he's taken a couple of decent bouts after trying to get there on easy street. If he'd been tested a bit sooner he'd have dealt with the defeat better (e.g. not by bouncing straight of the canvas and giving the bloke a mildly swaying target to batter), but as Rothko says he's learned lessons. I only hope his driving's improved.
  • [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Cleverly is going to be something special, incredibly fast hands. See a lot of the Calzaghe influence in him

He'll need to dig a couple of 50 year olds out of retirement to get the full Joe effect.
  • My Son went & said there were more fights in the arena than took place in the ring
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Sam lloyd[/cite]My Son went & said there were more fights in the arena than took place in the ring

In manchester? really , what a surprise.

Bet they were ripping when Anthony Small smashed their boy up
  • [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]Bet they were ripping when Anthony Small smashed their boy up

a guy i work with is really good friends and trains with him,says he is a very funny character,he came out singing to my way in a tux or something,he was showing me the pre-fight crap from youtube. he finished him off nicely and was quite an underdog.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Sam lloyd[/cite]My Son went & said there were more fights in the arena than took place in the ring[/quote]

Bet they were ripping when Anthony Small smashed their boy up[/quote]

Apparently there was a bit of bother when Enzo Macerreneli got stopped.
  • Enzo has got to be finished now, shame as he was a decent boxer but that Haye defeat and the subsequent lack of activity afterwards has done him in.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Enzo has got to be finished now, shame as he was a decent boxer but that Haye defeat and the subsequent lack of activity afterwards has done him in.[/quote]

Warren seems to have disowned him, and Enzo himself has basically said he is finished.

Don't know anything about the guy he fought but judging by the state of his face when he was stopped he got a hell of a beating.

Agree he was a good fighter but his habit of blaming all his defeats on a "poor training camp" really grated on me.
  • Warren will stick him on a bill still, I just can't see where he goes from this if he does want to carry on. He got smashed up by an unknown East European banger, not much grace in that is there!!
  • [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Sam lloyd[/cite]My Son went & said there were more fights in the arena than took place in the ring

Yeah my Son said he was a proper show-off but backed it up, fights a bit like Junior Witter
  • [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Sam lloyd[/cite]My Son went & said there were more fights in the arena than took place in the ring

Apparently there was a bit of bother when Enzo Macerreneli got stopped.

Yeah there was a bit of trouble, more so when Frankie Gavin was fighting. The refs seemed to stop the fights to early & didn't give them a chance to re-group when they were backed up in the corners
  • Saw Small on an undercard years ago and even though he's a flash
    git he has so far shown the skills to back it up plus he's a local boy
  • [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]Saw Small on an undercard years ago and even though he's a flash
    git he has so far shown the skills to back it up plus he's a local boy

One of my mates fought him years ago as an amateur, think Small fought out of West Ham gym although I could be wrong. To be honest he backed up all the gob against a very hard man in Matt Hall