Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Spirit of cricket?

Spirit of cricket?

Does it really matter if England ran the clock down by a few seconds between overs? Wind your neck in and remember how slow Australia were getting through their overs in the first session. A couple more there, Punter, and you may have had enough to spare later in the match.

Look back to the first part of England's second innings. Ponting marched - slowly - from his position at slip to talk, face-to-face to his bowler, several times. Was this so necessary, Punter? Did you really need to chew up that extra time then? Bet you wish you hadn't.

Who decided how many overs Australia were going to have to bowl England out? Was it Strauss? The umpires? No, Punter, it was you. You delayed your declaration far too long. And now you're looking for someone to throw your toys at.

And finally, so what if Australia were deprived of an over in the final hour? 98 overs in the day. That's eight more than a "normal" day's cricket. You can't take England's last eight wickets in 98 overs? Look at your own ineptitude first, before bleating about the opposition, you mug.

Had England been bowled out in the last over, we'd have faced an even funnier episode. Australia waiting to knock off a few runs to win in a few minutes and England not bothering to bowl, because the minimum number of overs had been used up.

"It's an extremely nervous situation and that one wicket determines the 1-0 or 0-0 scoreline. They did their job. If I'm in that situation and I call for gloves, they won't care." Who said that, Punter? Your player, Nathan Hauritz.

I saw Ponting act like a spoilt, petulant, child in the last day at Cardiff. His screaming appeal to Aleem Dar when he thought he had caught Collingwood was an utter disgrace. He should be (but won't be) ashamed. Both captains need to honour the game by adopting its spirit at all times. But surely, most of all when in the middle, in front of the cameras, in the maelstrom of the action.

You may be a great batsman, Ponting. You may also have been a pretty good captain when you had a better team. But as an example and a role model, you're shameful, reprehensible, spolit child.

Cast he the first stone who is without sin, Punter.

Comments

• Options
    ponting was a joke.. he chose to bowl an underperforming spinner in north for the last few overs, when if i would have gone to the quicks to clean up the tail, bad discsion from ponts he would have done exactly the same i have seen him do the same infact.. its all because the let victory slip out of there hands, cant wait for Thursday.. gona be spicy..
  • Options
    As someone else said Yesterday,
    "Would they have bowled so quickly if England needed 20 runs to win in the last quarter of an hour" ?
  • Options
    Remember The Kiwis needing 4 runs off the last ball to beat The Aussies in a test match a few years back.

They bowled in underarm.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]As someone else said Yesterday,
    "Would they have bowled so quickly if England needed 20 runs to win in the last quarter of an hour" ?[/quote]

Exactly...

Maybe not fair but all teams/players do the old gamesmanship stuff thesedays.

Sure the Aussies have!

They are clearly just very upset and annoyed that the bowlers could not get last last batsman out in over an hour having totally controlled the test match.
  • Options
    You may also have been a pretty good captain when you had a better team

I don't think Ponting has ever been accused of being a good captain, just a captain who had and has the good fortune to have some very good players under him. Too often he lets his bowlers drift along - and his field placings are hardly anything new and in this Test he was unable to force a victory when only the twin batting geniuses of Panesar and Anderson stood between Australia and a one-nil lead. His style is to lead from the front, graft away, score a lot of runs, demand maximum effort from his colleagues and pretty much that's it. On the 2005 Ashes Tour he was comprehensively out-captained by Michael Vaughan, and that series featured another classic bit of Ponting petulance - being run-out at Trent Bridge by Gary Pratt, a reserve fielder who was plucked from Durham seconds and given a specific job if and when he got onto the field and he did it very well. Ponting's reaction then was to well and truly spit the dummy out. What drives him is to win the Ashes in 2009 where he lost them in 2005, losing four years ago hurts deeply in him and he's out for revenge, I can't imagine what he'd feel like if he were to lose two Ashes series in a row in the UK. Fortunately for him he's up against Andy Strauss this time around, the Tim dim but nice of the Englaish cricket team.

But his petulance is part of his make up, if I had to select one batsman to bat for my life Ponting would probably be it, as I mentioned yesterday in the Ashes thread, we Brits tend to look at players like that and tut disapprovingly, claiming that it isn't cricket or whatever. The Aussies look at a player like that differently and recognise the "dog" in him, even if you dislike the person you have to admire the tenacity and the fight in him. His single mindedness as a batsman has won Australia Tests and got them out of a fair few holes (see the OT Test from 2005 when a Ponting hundred saved the Test for Australia), so with him what you see is what you get and I wish that either he was English, or that we had a few characters with his uncompromising attitute to call on. If anyone dislikes Ponting it is because they dislike his strengths.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]Remember The Kiwis needing 4 runs off the last ball to beat The Aussies in a test match a few years back.

They bowled in underarm.[/quote]

It was a one day international...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKNQ-crIr50
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]Had England been bowled out in the last over, we'd have faced an even funnier episode. Australia waiting to knock off a few runs to win in a few minutes and England not bothering to bowl, because the minimum number of overs had been used up.
    No need to resort to cheating tactics like that, all we needed to do was bowl a couple of overs underarm ala the Chapple brothers back in the 80's....
  • Options
    Its 50/50....

Ponting is right because Strauss did waste time, but since his also used those types of tactics in the past he should keep his gob shut.

Shame that England were so blatant as Parnesar and Anderson could have done the job.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]Had England been bowled out in the last over, we'd have faced an even funnier episode. Australia waiting to knock off a few runs to win in a few minutes and England not bothering to bowl, because the minimum number of overs had been used up.[/quote]No need to resort to cheating tactics like that, all we needed to do was bowl a couple of overs underarm ala the Chapple brothers back in the 80's....[/quote]

Except that bowling underarm is now illegal...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]You may also have been a pretty good captain when you had a better team

I don't think Ponting has ever been accused of being a good captain, just a captain who had and has the good fortune to have some very good players under him. Too often he lets his bowlers drift along - and his field placings are hardly anything new and in this Test he was unable to force a victory when only the twin batting geniuses of Panesar and Anderson stood between Australia and a one-nil lead. His style is to lead from the front, graft away, score a lot of runs, demand maximum effort from his colleagues and pretty much that's it. On the 2005 Ashes Tour he was comprehensively out-captained by Michael Vaughan, and that series featured another classic bit of Ponting petulance - being run-out at Trent Bridge by Gary Pratt, a reserve fielder who was plucked from Durham seconds and given a specific job if and when he got onto the field and he did it very well. Ponting's reaction then was to well and truly spit the dummy out. What drives him is to win the Ashes in 2009 where he lost them in 2005, losing four years ago hurts deeply in him and he's out for revenge, I can't imagine what he'd feel like if he were to lose two Ashes series in a row in the UK. Fortunately for him he's up against Andy Strauss this time around, the Tim dim but nice of the Englaish cricket team.

But his petulance is part of his make up, if I had to select one batsman to bat for my life Ponting would probably be it, as I mentioned yesterday in the Ashes thread, we Brits tend to look at players like that and tut disapprovingly, claiming that it isn't cricket or whatever. The Aussies look at a player like that differently and recognise the "dog" in him, even if you dislike the person you have to admire the tenacity and the fight in him. His single mindedness as a batsman has won Australia Tests and got them out of a fair few holes (see the OT Test from 2005 when a Ponting hundred saved the Test for Australia), so with him what you see is what you get and I wish that either he was English, or that we had a few characters with his uncompromising attitute to call on. If anyone dislikes Ponting it is because they dislike his strengths.
    Well said BFR. In any case for all except the last few overs England were shown to be inferior to what is a pretty ordinary Aussie team, in pretty much every department. Same old, same old and it looks like Flintoff is already done in. Last Sunday night was the highlight of our cricketing summer, sadly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can't wait for thursday! Pimms o clock! Anyone else going?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]Can't wait for thursday! Pimms o clock! Anyone else going?
    With you in spirit! I'll be at Edgbaston and The Oval though.
  • Options
    I think it was daft sending on the 12 man twice in a matter of minutes , and what on earth was the physio doing out there??? saying that I don't think we made enough of the situation and Anderson and Monty should have been doing some "gardening" during the over, or taking guard every ball, or pulling away just as the bowler was about to bowl in the pretence that someone was moving behind the bowlers arm or that there was something in their eye etc etc.They did none of that so I really don't think Ponting has anything to complain about.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]Can't wait for thursday! Pimms o clock! Anyone else going?
    With you in spirit! I'll be at Edgbaston and The Oval though.
    Me too, regardless of my pessimism I'll be supporting the team (from afar as i'm not going to any matches) 100%
  • Options
    Just saw in the Times that Australia had been fined 33 times for slow play since 1995 and 20 of them under Pontings captaincy incl nine times since the start of 2008.
  • Options
    Gutted...thought I had a ticket for Saturday and it's gone tyts up!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SE7 Expat[/cite]Its 50/50....

Ponting is right because Strauss did waste time, but since his also used those types of tactics in the past he should keep his gob shut.

Shame that England were so blatant as Parnesar and Anderson could have done the job.

We saved the match AND wound up that little prick Ponting and all of his wanker mates by sending out the physio - it does not get better than that.

The full over allocation was met for the day, they had 90 overs to get 8 wickets and they could not do it.

Tough.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SE7 Expat[/cite]Just saw in the Times that Australia had been fined 33 times for slow play since 1995 and 20 of them under Pontings captaincy incl nine times since the start of 2008.
    Very interesting.

I may have a ticket for Monday now! No way is Ponting a good captain, fantastic on the bat (I've seen him get a century at the MCG) but as captain, nothing special.
  • Options
    Read an interesting article arguing the opposite view to win at all costs at the weekend, has a mention of Paolo in there...

No, after you old chap...