Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

scariest pubs

Probably a very personal thing, but for me the scariest pubs I have been to, or the grimmest that I could not wait to get out of were the..

Watt Tyler on the ferallier estate kidbrooke

Barge pole thamesmead

And

Belvoir near belveridere station

All lovely places if you knew someone in there, which I did with the exception of the barge pole, but still scarey.

Any others?

Comments

• The Frog & Radiator in Greenwich - stumbled in there one night (I think with Razil) & the whole pub stopped what they were doing to turn & stare at us - beat a sharp exit I can tell you.
  • Westmister arms (or was it the Barrier Arms) down near the barrier about 20 years. It might have been the night I was in there but that was a real stare into the bottom of your glass pub.
  • I remember that place Keston - went there with my sister and (future) brother in law for a soul do advertised on a pirate radio station and didn't stay too long. When we went things got a bit tense because there were some very shady characters about (one of whom took a shine to my sister) and we were lucky not to get a severe hiding.

Suffice to say I haven't been back.

There are a couple of boozers here in Preston and Manchester that I wouldn't go in if you paid me. Far too bloody dangerous!

I remember the John Evelyn in Deptford being a bit of an experience too.....
  • I walked into and then pretty quickly out of the Wat Tyler trying to look nonchalent and probably failing.
  • Back in the day, You woldn't have gone into the Man of Kent or the Castle in Eltham High Street unless you knew some of the regulars
  • Went into a pub in Sheffield once near the canal and a steelworks. The bar was raised so that you had to reach up to the counter top which must have been about 5ft 6inches high. The beer was passed down to you. When I plucked up enough courage to ask I was told that the bar was to protect the barstaff when the fights broke out. I ordered two pints of lager for my dad and myself only to be told its a bitter pub. We drank our bitter very sharpish I can tell you.
  • Without a doubt the Wat Tyler on the Ferrier, lived on there for 15 years or so, walking in the door was like a statement of intent, very very nasty pub unless you knew some faces.

The Yorkshire Grey used to be quite moody back in the day, as well as The Brook on Shooters Hill many years ago.
  • A couple of places for me:

The silver buckle in Camberwell - Had a nasty little tear up in that place once.
    The Frog & Nightgown on the Old Kent Road - Got closed to being bottled in there - more of a club to be fair but a shithole none the less.

Surprisingly enough they are both in Millsmall territory so what should I have expected.
  • Some of those pubs bring back memories. Funny that most have closed. Had a few close shaves in the Yorkshire Grey. Only went to the Castle in Eltham about a dozen times and more often than not some aggro started.

The worst pub I went in was the one by the Barnfield Estate on Plumstead Common Road. I can't remember it's name but it was evil. Pwoper nawty faces.
  • The Lord Bloomfield on Barnfield. There was another one right in the middle of the estate, can't remember it's name but ironically it is a nursery now!
  • Sponsored links:

• We've heard of The Beehive in New Eltham a bit on here recently and what a load of pond life frequent it......the clientele in there make it seem like a holding pen for the Jeremy Kyle Show!
  • And i give you the Kemsley arms nr sittingbourne one of the 1st villages in kent to have CCTV fitted throughout the village. Large gangs of youths hanging around outside not very often a night went past without a ruck. Used to be used by people from the papermill now they have built a by pass to go round the village for the lorry drivers lovely!!
  • [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]We've heard of The Beehive in New Eltham a bit on here recently and what a load of pond life frequent it......the clientele in there make it seem like a holding pen for the Jeremy Kyle Show!

Closest pub to my house,they've just had a refurb..but it looks like the same old faces outside i've not been in there for years,i may pop in one day to sample the ambiance.
  • The King & Queen in Mottingham was pretty bad as well.
  • The Dun Cow - Old Kent Road.
    The Green Man - Old Kent Road.
    The Henry Cooper - Old Kent Road.

But the worst and scariest place was always Scribbles.

Why did i keep going out down the OKR??
  • [cite]Posted By: JorgeCosta[/cite]Some of those pubs bring back memories. Funny that most have closed. Had a few close shaves in the Yorkshire Grey. Only went to the Castle in Eltham about a dozen times and more often than not some aggro started.

The worst pub I went in was the one by the Barnfield Estate on Plumstead Common Road. I can't remember it's name but it was evil. Pwoper nawty faces.
    [cite]Posted By: D_F_T[/cite]The Lord Bloomfield on Barnfield. There was another one right in the middle of the estate, can't remember it's name but ironically it is a nursery now!

The Royal Oak.

Both places were good pubs but then I knew the peeps.
  • [cite]Posted By: addick1965[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]We've heard of The Beehive in New Eltham a bit on here recently and what a load of pond life frequent it......the clientele in there make it seem like a holding pen for the Jeremy Kyle Show!

Closest pub to my house,they've just had a refurb..but it looks like the same old faces outside i've not been in there for years,i may pop in one day to sample the ambiance.

Funny you mention that one. I don't even live in the country but went to the Chinese opposite it in May, and all these menacing looking characters were drinking outside, eyeballing everyone. It was like a complete pub full of bouncers.

The only scary pubs in Prague are British owned ones frequented by British criminals. We had a very nasty brush with one after watching the 4-4 against West Ham on TV there. Only bad moment here in 16 years.
  • The Apples and Pears(South Bermondsey) was a dangerous pub to be a stranger in during the mid 60's to late 70's!
  • world upside down on okr. Gun detector on the door.

A few pubs round st mary cray in orpington.
  • anything in downham
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]The King & Queen in Mottingham was pretty bad as well.

My mate Keith was a regular in there...he said it was a local pub for local people.
  • [cite]Posted By: vancouveraddick[/cite]A couple of places for me:

The silver buckle in Camberwell - Had a nasty little tear up in that place once.
    The Frog & Nightgown on the Old Kent Road - Got closed to being bottled in there - more of a club to be fair but a shithole none the less.

Surprisingly enough they are both in Millsmall territory so what should I have expected.

Haha the Silver Buckle. I lived in Camberwell for 3 years and i knew it had been a messy night if i ended the night up in there because it was the only one opened late. rotten place.
  • Not so much scariest but think just one of those pubs...The Cricketers / Villa Bar West Hill Dartford......
  • [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]world upside down on okr. Gun detector on the door.

I actually like the one in the High Street (Red Lion?), the other one up by the Rosecroft club (names escapes me) is a bit ropey, I go to the rosecroft for Rockabillly gigs now & then.
  • east Hill Dartford never good with left and right !
  • [cite]Posted By: addick1965[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]The King & Queen in Mottingham was pretty bad as well.

My mate Keith was a regular in there...he said it was a local pub for local people.

"We didn't burn him"

LOL

Millwall boozer through & through
  • [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]We've heard of The Beehive in New Eltham a bit on here recently and what a load of pond life frequent it......the clientele in there make it seem like a holding pen for the Jeremy Kyle Show!

It was nowhere near as bad as you make out. Perhaps everyone was scared of me...LOL
  • The late lamented Bar 82 in Glasgow by a mile, though it probably wasn't the roughest place due to everyone being so drunk they were rendered harmless, it was still scary. The beer was cheaper than anyplace else and being sick on the floor (which happened three times in the short period that I was there) didn't lead to being thrown out or even spoken to. Got involved in an argument with a bloke who later went out and came back stabbed and bleeding quite badly. The bar staff patched him up with bogroll and he was quite affable when I next spoke to him, though not delighted about being chibbed. Turned out to be a fairly nice bloke and I ended up swapping jackets with him in a (failed) bid to help him evade police capture for (I think) whatever lead to the stabbing.
  • [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]world upside down on okr. Gun detector on the door.

I actually like the one in the High Street (Red Lion?), the other one up by the Rosecroft club (names escapes me) is a bit ropey, I go to the rosecroft for Rockabillly gigs now & then.

Not been in there myself but theres a few away from the high street that are off the beaten track that are very locals only.

Actually going to a 50's place tonight where they play rockabilly on certain nights apparently, the boogaloo in highgate if you know it?
  • Downham tavern, a mate got threaten with a gun there!