Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Darryl Flahavan

edited July 2009 in Rumours
SLP

I'd rather see time and effort spent finding players in other positions. I don't think Elliot is outstanding in any way, but he deserves his place for now. Losing weight and getting a bit fitter should help him as well.

Comments

• Options
    In many ways there is nothing wrong with having a third Goalkeeper about the place - especially a more experienced one, but it's debatable we really need three permanently. We should probably be looking to bring a thrid in on loan as & when needed.

I guess, however, until Randy signs a new deal it is sensible to keep an eye on who else might be available. I certainly don't think we're looking for an outright replacement for Elliot, just further cover/options.
  • Options
    I know we've got some decent players off Palace over the years, most notably David Whyte, the returning Paul Mortimer and John Humphrey, and Alan Pardew (the player, not the manager!), but I really do wish we would stop signing their cast offs. It really was quite hard to swallow watching Hudson, Ward and Buttercup all lining up for us last season.

Elliot is perfectly adequate as a keeper and I don't think Randolph should be written off yet either. Would much rather see either of them in the side, both with a genuine affection for the club, than yet another Palace reject who will no doubt stop around for a season or two, performing averagely but not outstandingly before leaving quietly through the back door to join someone slightly lower down the league than us.

And as you say Scoham, much rather see what little funs we do have available spent on strengthening the side in positions where we have a genuine weakness.
  • Options
    Randolph hasn't agreed a new contract though has he?
  • Options
    Makes sense to have a more experience GK as back up to Robbie rather than two youngsters. I'm guessing it depends on Randolph signing a new contract. Can't see us needing 3 keepers if we are skint.

No idea if this guy is any good.

SLP is really hammering the "when the takeover happens" line isn't it. What do they know that we don't?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: MrLargo[/cite]I know we've got some decent players off Palace over the years, most notably David Whyte, the returning Paul Mortimer and John Humphrey, and Alan Pardew (the player, not the manager!), but I really do wish we would stop signing their cast offs. It really was quite hard to swallow watching Hudson, Ward and Buttercup all lining up for us last season.[/quote]

Why, what's the problem? Yeah, Hudson and Butterfield were crap (I thought Ward was quite good) but that's not because of who we signed them from but simply they are crap.
  • Options
    It does make sense but Royce is much the better option. Has come off the back of two excellent seasons, one in this div, is an excellent shot stopper, good at controlling his box, clearly a positive character and consumate pro. No point spending money on goalie at this level, that will show a misallocation of whatever resources we have; there are plenty of free transfer goalies out there and plenty of teams promoted with a free transfer goalie from this div.

I wouldn't be surprised if Parky doesn't have the brains to work this one out. Flahavan is short, good shot stopper, good trainer but no great presence. If Elliot needs replacing then he needs to be replaced by a reliable character.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Of course if Randolph goes we need another keeper. I was thinking it sounded more like we want a new first choice keeper, rather than just decent back up and a bit of competition.
    [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]It does make sense but Royce is much the better option. Has come off the back of two excellent seasons, one in this div, is an excellent shot stopper, good at controlling his box, clearly a positive character and consumate pro. No point spending money on goalie at this level, that will show a misallocation of whatever resources we have; there are plenty of free transfer goalies out there and plenty of teams promoted with a free transfer goalie from this div.

I wouldn't be surprised if Parky doesn't have the brains to work this one out. Flahavan is short, good shot stopper, good trainer but no great presence. If Elliot needs replacing then he needs to be replaced by a reliable character.
    Royce signed a new contract with Gillingham

Who are all these other available keepers?
  • Options
    We need to sign a Darryl/ Darrel as i don't think the clubs ever had one!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]We need to sign a Darryl/ Darrel as i don't think the clubs ever had one!

Let's keep it that way.

What we need are players with "proper" names such as

Jack
    John
    Bill
    Bob or Bobby (not Robert)
    Jock
    Chris
    Don
    Sam
    Charlie
    Harry

That team would win the league no problem.
  • Options
    Jack Clark
    Jon(jo) Shelvey/Jon(athan) Fortune
    Bob Elliot
    Chris Solly
    Sam Lloyd
    Harry Pell

Nearly there.

Bill Curbishley part of the takeover?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    how about the keeper at Southampton if we need one, he is quality and must be on a free if they havn't paid any of their players...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: valleyman[/cite]how about the keeper at Southampton if we need one, he is quality and must be on a free if they havn't paid any of their players...

He's going to West Ham.
  • Options
    He would be a solid number 2 for elliot being an keeper myself I know about most of them he really came on after the sad death of his brother who was number 1 at the time, kelvin davies would have been a number 1 here but at 32 makes excelent back up to rob green at the irons, think we need an experianced gk around to help elliot and randolph deano would be my shout or nick colgan who is irish and on a free.