Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

£3 million bid rejected

edited December 2006 in General Charlton
Scott Brown and Kevin Thomson

Hibernian Football Club can this morning confirm it has rejected a £3 million offer received from Charlton Athletic Football Club for both Scott Brown and Kevin Thomson.

Commenting Chairman Rod Petrie said: “I arrived at the office on Tuesday morning to see that an email had been received overnight from Andrew Mills, the General Manager of Charlton Athletic – Andrew is a former Players’ Agent.

“Andrew had called a number of weeks ago expressing interest in two of our players but made no offer at that time either over the phone or by letter.

“The email from Andrew contained an unsigned offer of £3m for the transfer of both Scott Brown and Kevin Thomson subject to certain conditions. I sent an email back to Charlton Athletic rejecting their offer at 9.17 am yesterday morning.”

Rod added: “Despite the offer having been rejected, Charlton Athletic and their contacts chose to make the matter public for their own purposes. Contrary to all the media speculation in recent weeks, this is the only offer we have received for either player from any club.

“Everyone knows we are entering an important run of games over the festive period. We are one of the teams competing at the upper end of what is a very competitive Bank of Scotland Premierleague. We are also about to embark on our Tennent’s Scottish Cup campaign and have a CIS Insurance Cup Semi Final to look forward to at the end of January. Both Kevin and Scott have an important contribution to make to the Club’s success in each of these competitions.”

Comments

• Options
    christ, they like keping things quiet !
  • Options
    when did WE make it public?!
  • Options
    Perhaps Hibs caught wind we'd been tipping off the Scottish press - clearly he thinks we're trying to unsettle his players in any case.

Good to see Andrew Mills making friends and influencing people. Maybe we have found the root of our problems here?
  • Options
    thought old Millsy would be too busy in Valencia.
  • Options
    That's why it was emailed! ;o)
  • Options
    or is he in new zealand sorting out our tie up with the out of business new zealand knights....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite] Maybe we have found the root of our problems here?

Harsh.

If you think the guy charged with finding out if players are available, or odering new balls for the training ground is the root of the problem, then you're looking for an easy scapegoat mate.
  • Options
    I'm only asking the question, I don't have an opinion on it.

Remember, Murray's desire to get Mills in as a "general manager" has led to the structure which has seen us perform so badly.
  • Options
    No, i think it was a desire to have a structure that involved the main operator not having full control like Curbishley did.

What was the motive though ?

Because it made sense that individuals concentrated their energies on specific tasks ?

Or because the board was unneasy that the main operator would hold too much power for the boards liking ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]What was the motive though ?

Because it made sense that individuals concentrated their energies on specific tasks ?

Or because the board was unneasy that the main operator would hold too much power for the boards liking ?

A bit of both, probably. But have we created a structure that managers who are used to wielding more power are unwilling to fit into?

Especially since we've now got a continental-style system, yet only seek to recruit British managers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SKysports is saying the two hibs players are annoyed that the bids got rejected.

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=436670&CPID=14&clid=33&lid=&title=DUO+UNHAPPY+AT+HIBS
  • Options
    f**k me how bad must it be at hibs!!!
  • Options
    seems Hibs won't sell for less than 3m each but are not willing to improve their contracts to reflect their worth.
  • Options
    Having seen Brown and Thomson (who I like a lot) I'd be shocked if they went for less than 2 mill each.

Gordon at Hearts would be a great keeper to sign.
  • Options
    you'd have to question the sanity of anyone who signs for us now
  • Options
    and anyone that goes to Boro on Saturday.

Boro on ANY day.......*coughs*