Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Andy Gray from SLP

edited July 2009 in Rumours
CRYSTAL Palace boss Neil Warnock is keeping a watching brief on Charlton striker Andy Gray - and could be set to add him to a growing list of former Addicks at Selhurst Park.

The Eagles manager has made bringing in a target man his number one priority. And the South London Press has learned 31-year-old Gray is high on Warnock’s wanted list.

Palace are unable to pay a fee for the well-travelled striker, who was signed by Warnock at Sheffield United in 2004, and he still has two years left to run on his contract at The Valley. But after Charlton’s drop to League One it is understood they are considering allowing him to leave on a free transfer - just 18 months after a £1.5million transfer from Burnley.

Comments

• It would be ridiculous to let Gray go on a free transfer when he's proven to be a decent Championship striker if you give him the right service.
  • [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]It would be ridiculous to let Gray go on a free transfer when he's proven to be a decent Championship striker if you give him the right service.

His wages may be the problem
  • This from the same paper that said Colin could not afford Gray's wages. We shall see.
  • I thought wages were the problem, not so much the fee?

Aren't they rumoured to be interested in Thomas and Wright as well?
  • NugNug
    edited July 2009
    I reckon Warnock would get a lot out of him to be fair.....but to Palace!
  • [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]It would be ridiculous to let Gray go on a free transfer when he's proven to be a decent Championship striker if you give him the right service.

Our problem is nobody will tell us our problems!!
    Would like him to stay but who cares we have barely seen enough of him to judge him.
    We will see but not fussed either way
  • No problem about him going but for a free. before we ruined his careeer he was a highly thought of Championship player who based on his Burnley performances was voted 2nd in the Championship player of the season. If we have to take players in exchangethen maybe (but not from Palace) but free nooooooo!
  • [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]It would be ridiculous to let Gray go on a free transfer when he's proven to be a decent Championship striker if you give him the right service.

I tend to think him rarely living up to his billing was the problem.

So are you saying better to cut our loses and let him go on a free so cutting a few hundred K off the wage bill that could be better spent elsewhere?
  • I'd like to keep Gray, but if he's going we'd be barmy to let him go on a free. They can have him loan and pickup 100% of his wages, but they can't just have him.

That goes for anyone, not just Palace. I've no problem with doing business with them - if they're willing to give us the money we want for players we don't want then we can't afford to just ignore it - we need the dosh too much.
  • I think we should let them have the whole squad and get them relegated.
  • Sponsored links:

• [quote][cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]I think we should let them have the whole squad and get them relegated.[/quote]

LOL
  • [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]I think we should let them have the whole squad and get them relegated.

quality
  • [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]I think we should let them have the whole squad and get them relegated.
    Very good...but you're reckoning on Colin doing as back a job as Pardkinson. Almost impossible.
  • I find it incredulous that we would let Gray go on a free, unless there's more to it than meets the eye. I do know however that this is a strong possibility.
  • Who is the running the club Nick Leason, buying a player for £1.5 million and letting him go 18 months later on a free, are they totally mad down there
  • You missed the other point about this rumour in the SLP and that is Palace can not afford his wages and what Charlton to underwrite a portion of them. It did not say for how long though. With people saying Hudson was on £12,000 a week and now looks like Gray in the same ballpark know wonder the club are broke.
    These are the same players that hardly won a game in the championship.
    As I have said before I reckon that the club will be looking for a total team wage bill of about £3,000,000 or less for a squad of say 20-25 players and support staff.
    Which probably means that the average player wage will be £2000 per week or less, though of course some will get more and many less than this.
    So when speculating on who will come to Charlton bear this in mind, not many big names or real young prospects.
  • Letting him go on a free AND contributing to his wages would surely not be acceptable to us?

I know we don't want to be paying wages as much as his but he'd be a really good player in league one.

it would be really frustrating to see him go for nothing.
  • why dont we loan him out to palace for a year with an option to call him back?
  • [cite]Posted By: cafc-4-life[/cite]why dont we loan him out to palace for a year with an option to call him back?

I'm not sure you can have recall clauses on year long loans. I think we should hold on to him if we can afford it. He *should* be too good for League 1.
  • What good is loaning him out? If we get rid then we want some money in for him so we can get a replacement
  • Sponsored links:

• Well, Bouazza was on a year long loan ...... and he got recalled.
    And sold on.

Same with Smertin a while back.

;o)
  • I hope this isn't true - things are just getting too depressing.

Surely someone else would take him and actually pay us some money for him if we are determined to get rid?

Man alive.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Well, Bouazza was on a year long loan ...... and he got recalled.
    And sold on.

I wasn't sure whether they were 'recalled' or chucked their toys out of the pram and demanded to go back. I'm not sure if there's a difference!
  • edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Well, Bouazza was on a year long loan ...... and he got recalled.
    And sold on.

I wasn't sure whether they were 'recalled' or chucked their toys out of the pram and demanded to go back. I'm not sure if there's a difference!
    He could only be recalled in January I think. Pretty sure thats the rule.

In fact same with Randolph and McLeod, their loan clubs wanted to send them back but couldn't until the January window/end of season.
  • I believe you are spot on, Sco.
  • don't forget the story came from the Lions Palace SLP............not known for getting much right when it comes to us.
  • I wouldn't be too sad to see him leave TBH, but surely we can get some sort of fee/ deal for him. To give him a free takes the shine off the Hudson deal.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]ouldn't be too sad to see him leave TBH, but surely we can get some sort of fee/ deal for him. To give him a free takes the shine off t[/quote]

because we can recall him if we need to in january, it saves money on our wage bill and if promoted we will still have him and at a possibility if he is doing well the club he is at may have an option on buying him in january
  • I think he is probably worth £500K - Proven Championship striker (albeit not with us!), still has 2-3 years left in him at least.

However it is a game of brinksmanship between the club and him as he could either take a pay cut to join a Championship team or pick up his large salary with us in League 1.

If he accepted a lower salary elsewhere the other club may pay us a fee, if he holds out for an equivalent salary elsewhere we probably won't...he has all the power in this instance, and in the same situation what would you do..
  • [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]I hope this isn't true - things are just getting too depressing.

Surely someone else would take him and actually pay us some money for him if we are determined to get rid?

Man alive.

Totally agree with this. Yet another kick in the goolies for us and reminder of how far we have fallen.

Man alive indeed !