Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ring ring.......ring ring.....ring ring

me - "hello"

*slight pause*

recorded voice of John McCockface - "hello, why not take advantage of a government backed scheme, and consolidate............blah blah f**king blah"

is there a way of stopping getting these poxy calls, or reducing the amount of them.
i've obviously given my details to an organisation that has passed on the phone number to these companies. but if i change my number, how do i know who to pass the new number onto.

it's not that i'm worried about breaking my phone, more worried about replacing the window it is gonna go through.

Comments

• Options
    i think bt can bar any withheld numbers from getting thru to you
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]i think bt can bar any withheld numbers from getting thru to you

just looked. they do, and also charge you £48 a year for the privelidge , the robbing b'stards. i don't spend that on outgoing calls from my landline.
  • Options
    One of the most annoying things we have to endure these days, I wonder if anyone actually buys anything from these cold callers. I normally ask them to hold on and go and make a cup of tea then come back after a few minutes and they are always gone, a bit silly perhaps but it makes me smile!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: D_F_T[/cite]One of the most annoying things we have to endure these days, I wonder if anyone actually buys anything from these cold callers. I normally ask them to hold on and go and make a cup of tea then come back after a few minutes and they are always gone, a bit silly perhaps but it makes me smile!

i actually prefer cold callers. at least you can tell them to do one and cross my number of their list.
  • Options
    Aah PBS, the automated calls.

We get 3-4 a day. Drives me absolutely mad as one is guaranteed to be during dinner. We've always signed up for TPS, but these automated ones seem to avade it.

Is there no other way around than paying £48 ?
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    ring ring, ring ring, banana phone
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Aah PBS, the automated calls.

We get 3-4 a day. Drives me absolutely mad as one is guaranteed to be during dinner. We've always signed up for TPS, but these automated ones seem to avade it.

Is there no other way around than paying £48 ?[/quote]

in theory if you receive an unsolicited call and you are on TPS you can report the caller and they willbe fined, but I have never been able to get the call details properley or go through the hassle.

I had one great call the other week.

Told the guy that I was not interested in talking to him.

says to me "are you indian" - Indian call centre

Answer " i am 2nd generation indian"

"Ah, then that must be why you are a c..t" and puts phone down .. nice! It was voda phone and I should have reported him but I could not be doing with the hassle
  • Options
    Register at
    http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/

Its free, takes around a month to setup, but, I've been phone bug free for a couple of years.
  • Options
    I actually have arguments with cold callers to our company, we are under strict instructions from the directors not to put cold calls through, which is their right after all.

When they ring and ask to speak to the owner/manager/director/person who deals with.... etc, I tell them they dont accept unsolicited calls, they start arguing about I am restricting their business and being rude, blah blah blah.
    I am polite once, the next time its, look I told you, I wont be putting the call through, I have been polite to you so far but you obviously dont seem to get the message, so if you want rude, here you you go....F O, phone goes down.

Dont mind people trying to earn a living, but when they start insisting to be put through on an uninvited and unwanted phone call, they get short shrift from me if they ignore what I am telling them.
  • Options
    Please, please, please don't pay the £48 for this service. SparrowsLane is absolutely right, it can be done online for free - I have helped a couple of people to set this up and, even though it takes a month, it's a blessed relief to stop receiving annoying, ridiculous calls.

The stupidest one I received was when I was living in a converted medieval church. I got a call from a uPVC double glazing company. "Would you like a quote for double glazing?" "Can you double glaze an eighteenth century, stained glass window?" "Oh... why? Do you have one of those?"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If I've got the time I let them give their shplill about "double-glazing","patio's" or whatever for 5/10 minutes, then when they ask if I own the place I say no, I'm a council tennant, and would they like the phonenumber for them.
    I've been sworn at afew times.......................
    They say "You should have told me it wasn't your flat".
    I say, "You never asked".
  • Options
    I just say, "no thank you" and put the phone down. Easy. No need to be rude to the poor chap on the other end of the phone. He aint enjoying do a crap poorly payed job.
    Answering a phone is not one of lifes challenges and is over in 10 seconds.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: charltonkeston[/cite]I just say, "no thank you" and put the phone down. Easy. No need to be rude to the poor chap on the other end of the phone. He aint enjoying do a crap poorly payed job.

It is when you are doing something more important and interrupt it to speak to these licenced home intruders.
  • Options
    Not so great when your painfully arthritic grandmother has to get out of her chair 4 times a day to answer calls that often have no one at the end of the line.

I'm with Bill Hicks. Anyone in advertising/marketing should do the world a favour and shoot themselves.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: charltonkeston[/cite]I just say, "no thank you" and put the phone down. Easy. No need to be rude to the poor chap on the other end of the phone. He aint enjoying do a crap poorly payed job.

It is when you are doing something more important and interrupt it to speak to these licenced home intruders.

I can understand people being busy or crippled with pain not wanting to be continually interupted but my point, although not well made, is the guy on on the other end of the phone is only trying to earn a crust. Being rude or making fun of him is missing the real target, the company employing the poor sap.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]Anyone in advertising/marketing should do the world a favour and shoot themselves.
    Erm, i'm in marketing and have never made one sales call in 5 years.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]Anyone in advertising/marketing should do the world a favour and shoot themselves.
    Erm, i'm in marketing and have never made one sales call in 5 years.

ditto! and in 10 years i have never used telesales as its a pile of pants!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: charltonkeston[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]

I can understand people being busy or crippled with pain not wanting to be continually interupted but my point, although not well made, is the guy on on the other end of the phone is only trying to earn a crust. Being rude or making fun of him is missing the real target, the company employing the poor sap.

All depends, be polite with the first answer when you say your not interested, if they ignore you and carry on with their patter (which 90% do IMO), then be as abusive as you like , at the end of they day it's your phone line, you never asked them to call, and you gave them the opportunity to go away quietly.
  • Options
    My friend Dave had a call from a company offering conservatories, he let the bloke book an appointment for a salesman to come around. Apparently the salesman's face was a picture when Dave led him up the stairs into his first floor flat...