Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rurik Gislason

edited December 2006 in General Charlton
News about Charlton reserve team player, 18 yr old Icelandic under 21 international Rurik Gislason. Andrew Mills who conducts transfers for Charlton (that what Icelandic media tells anyway) is on his way to Spain to hold talks with Valencia over the transfer of he Gislason.

However news developing from Belgium today is that Anderlecht have sued Gislasons agent over the transfer of Rurik to Charlton because Anderlecht had only let Gislason go back to Iceland to recover. The Belgian club had the first right to sign him back from HK Kopavogur and they want him installed in the Anderlecht academy again.

Valencias assistant manager was interviewed in one Icelandic newspaper last saturday where he said the Spanish club have been scouting Gislason for 3 months. The club sees him as a player of outstanding potential and they want to have him over on loan until the end of the season to train with Valencias first team and then sign him for good when his contract expires at Charlton in the summer.

Gislason is expected to join Valencia later this week.

Cheers,
Steinsson.

Comments

• I'm not even going to bother with the "why are we letting this happen?" questions.
    Just about sums-up our grip on things at the moment if we're letting youg talent go.

Mind you - if he gets sold for a reasonable amount of money - does the Supporters Club/Jackpot/Valley Gold/whoever get some of the money back because they were the ones to pay for him?!
  • Was he the one warming up with the players before the game on saturday or was that Tanska?
  • didn't see but probably Gislason, we'll probably involve him now it's too late !!
  • The Gislason story:
    Gislason made his first team debut in Iceland as a 15 yr old for HK Kopavogur, got signed by Anderlecht, scored quite a few goals for their youth sides, got diagnosed with a back problem and doctors feared he might be out of the game for a long time, the Belgian club agreed to let Rurik return to his former club HK in the beginning of 2005, his recovery was very quick and he was an everpresent for the HK side and scoring goals as a 16-17 yr old in the Icelandic first division, Charlton were alerted by his availability and asked him over for a trial in which he impressed and he was offered a contract and signed for Charlton on transfer deadline day in August 2005. Was assigned a number and only trains with the reserves and the first team.
  • Btw, the Anderlecht youth coaches singled Gislason and Belgian international Van Den Borre as the next big stars for the future at Anderlecht in 2004. Probably the reason they are unhappy that Gislason has recovered from his injuries and is now playing again.
  • It's amazing the weird shit you find on the "Charlton" pages of the various newspapers:
  • “ Former Charlton Ace..” !!!
  • Mametz said:
    “ Former Charlton Ace..” !!!
    I said exactly that to someone last night when they sent me the story, calling him a former Charlton Ace is stretching it a tad lol, he didn't even play a game 
  • Turned out decent on Championship Manager iirc. 
  • Remember him playing alongside Shelvey - seems an age ago. Had a lot more hair than Jonjo.
  • Sponsored links:

• aliwibble said:
    It's amazing the weird shit you find on the "Charlton" pages of the various newspapers:
    Think the question is Ali...?
  • Might be mistaken but didn't he play in a pre-season friendly at Park View road. ?  Sure I remember seeing him play but it was 15 years ago & things get a bit hazy later on in life...🙂
  • Will never forget when we signed him I was chatting to a bloke in a pub in Mottingham who was complaining that we’d sign someone who “nobody had heard of outside of his own home”.

Ironically, he’s probably gone on to be one the most famous players we’ve had on the books in decades! 
  • Might be mistaken but didn't he play in a pre-season friendly at Park View road. ?  Sure I remember seeing him play but it was 15 years ago & things get a bit hazy later on in life...🙂
    Yep i was there at this game 
  • Stig said:
    I bet Roland’s fuming we didn’t keep hold of him. 
  • Stig said:
    That picture of him could almost be a scene from the Will Ferrell Eurovision movie.
  • To be fair to him he is a very fine specimen of a man. Only 33 but already retired from football, now seems to be a model, also ran for the Independence Party in Iceland twice, whilst still playing professionally. One that made a name for himself away from us, but he carved out a pretty good career for himself