Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Quality albums you've 'rediscovered' recently

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: 3blokes[/cite]Just putting in a shout for The Average White Band "1st" Album ( the White one with their logo on the front)
    It's a great collection of songs, well played and really nicely produced. I didn't appreciate how good it was when I first had it all those years ago, but listening to it now, it's the best thing I've heard in ages.
    If you like that sort of thing of course....;-)

I recently saw Hamish Stuart play in a little jazz club with some other top session musicians. It was superb.
  • I remember Kokomo will have to see if I can track some of their stuff down too.
    Henry it's worth trying to get a hold of that first awb album if you can, some great vocals and melodies on it. Those boys could sing, and the band had a pretty damn good groove too. :-)
  • happy mondays - pills, thrills and bellyaches
  • [cite]Posted By: 3blokes[/cite]I remember Kokomo will have to see if I can track some of their stuff down too.
    Henry it's worth trying to get a hold of that first awb album if you can, some great vocals and melodies on it. Those boys could sing, and the band had a pretty damn good groove too. :-)

Quite hard to find the Kokomo stuff as not out on CD now I believe

The greatest hits has most of the 2nd album (the one with the W forming a ladies bottom). Do you mean that one of the one with the very un-pc white golly?
  • No it's the awb with the woman incorporated ;-) never sure if that is the first or second album think it was the first one released in the state but not certain.
    Sounds like you have most of them covered in that greatest hits. :-)
  • That's the 2nd album but the 1st was re-released as "put it where you want it" with a different cover.

Very Best of AWB tracklisting

1. Let's Go Round Again
    2. Pick Up The Pieces
    3. Put It Where You Want It
    4. This World Has Music
    5. Work To Do
    6. Keepin' It To Myself
    7. Person To Person
    8. If I Ever Lose This Heaven
    9. Cut The Cake
    10. Queen Of My Soul
    11. One Look Over My Shoulder (Is This Really Goodbye)
    12. Atlantic Avenue
    13. When Will You Be Mine
    14. Cloudy
    15. Walk On By
    16. For You For Love
    17. You Got It
    18. Whatcha' Gonna Do For Me
  • Dre = Chronic 2001
  • AC/DC - Album = The Razors Edge

Currently listening to it and loving every single blaaady second.
  • clearing out the loft the other day and found a few old cd;

Ocean Colour Scene - Moseley Shoals
    cast - all change
    beck - odelay
    the verne - urban hymns
    prodigy - fat of the land
    stereolab - switched on
    fatboy slim - you've come a long way baby
  • johnny osbourne-truth and rights
    leonard cohen-10 new songs
    new order-technique and movement
    morrissey-viva hate
    pixies-come on pilgrim
    spacemen 3-recurring
  • Sponsored links:

• Burn & Stormbringer by Deep Purple have slipped onto my Ipod recently- classic stuff.
  • Wheels in the Sky - Journey
  • Inspiral Carpets -Life
    Fun Lovin' Criminals - Come Find Yourself
  • Billion Dollar Babies-Alice Cooper
    Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton John
  • My daughter was listening to "12 stops and home" by the Feeling the other day so I demonstrated to her how similar it was to "Crime of the Century" by Supertramp. As a self-respecting 12 year old she was of course uninterested by what I had to say, but it remains an excellent album
  • [cite]Posted By: ads[/cite]johnny osbourne-truth and rights
    morrissey-viva hate
    pixies-come on pilgrim
    spacemen 3-recurring

Spacemen 3 is a good call.....that post got me listening to Taking Drugs To Make Music To Take Drugs To & Traslucent Flashbacks.

Also found an old Sugar album - Beaster - whilst I was diging out the CDs. Good stuff.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: ads[/cite]johnny osbourne-truth and rights
    morrissey-viva hate
    pixies-come on pilgrim
    spacemen 3-recurring[/quote]

Spacemen 3 is a good call.....that post got me listening to Taking Drugs To Make Music To Take Drugs To & Traslucent Flashbacks.

Also found an old Sugar album - Beaster - whilst I was diging out the CDs. Good stuff.[/quote]

Spiritualized-Lazer Guided Melodies is a good one from that era
  • [cite]Posted By: ads[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ads[/cite]johnny osbourne-truth and rights
    morrissey-viva hate
    pixies-come on pilgrim
    spacemen 3-recurring

Also found an old Sugar album - Beaster - whilst I was diging out the CDs. Good stuff.

Spiritualized-Lazer Guided Melodies is a good one from that era

If we are talking Spiritualized albums it has to be the Albert Hall live album. Think Oakster was there the night it was recorded. Lucky sod.
  • Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works Vol II

Absolutely loved this for aeons after it came out, but hadn't listened to it for about a year until this week. Just had it on my mp3 player whilst on the Eurostar from Gay Paree - awesome beyond words.
  • Suede- Head Music
  • Sponsored links:

• Watched a programme about Nick Drake tonight somebody I knew of years ago, sadly not because of my being at the cutting edge of the music scene when young, but rather that I fancied his sister Gabrielle whom appeared in a serial called The Brothers about a transport firm.

I guess one could talk about Eva Cassidy syndrome, someone more famous for their music once dead, but despite tragically dying at only 26 this guy left behind some good stuff.
  • [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]Suede- Head Music

superb
  • I should coco by supergrass.
  • [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]I should coco by supergrass.

Second that - Caught by the fuzz (love it)

Also playing in todays set list:

Beastie Boys: Paul's Boutique
    Faith No More: The Real Thing
    Sly and the Family Stone: Fresh
    The Cult: Electric
    Arcadia: So Red The Rose
    David Bowie: Hunky Dory
    Duran Duran: First Album
    Bomb the Bass: Into The Dragon
  • Been listening to some Best of..

Best years of our lives - Steve Harley

Steve Winwood - Did Paul Weller ever listen to him I wonder. Love Spark of High Heeled Boys is a fantastic track

Also lots of reggae as always.
  • Cocteau Twins - Heaven or Las Vegas
    Lush - Spooky
    Breeders - Last Splash

Summer vibes!
  • edited April 2010
    Anthrax - State Of Euphoria

Mublanikufesin!
  • Haven't listened to anything since I lost my MP3 player a couple of months back. Gutted.
    :o(
  • edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Haven't listened to anything since I lost my MP3 player a couple of months back. Gutted.
    :o(
    Shit. That would be devastating for me. I can't go anywhere on public transport without it. If mine broke I wouldn't go to work until I got a new one.
  • "Hound of Love" Kate Bush.