Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Quality albums you've 'rediscovered' recently

Comments

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]"Family Tree" ........ Nick Drake[/quote]

Cheers mate, Ive got the fruit tree box set and a mate said about a couple of other cds to mop up the spare recordings and I think that was one of them. Will check it out.
  • Options
    Love Nick Drake. Wish I could go to the concert but it's the car boot sale for me, followed by supper at Mrs Wolfie's friends.
    I've also got all my old sixties singles....northern soul music, (Otis,Marvin Gaye,Gene Chandler etc) plus psychadelic stuff like Traffic.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: thewolfboy[/cite]Love Nick Drake. Wish I could go to the concert but it's the car boot sale for me, followed by supper at Mrs Wolfie's friends.
    I've also got all my old sixties singles....northern soul music, (Otis,Marvin Gaye,Gene Chandler etc) plus psychadelic stuff like Traffic.

Wolfie, I've got a CD copy of Traffic's 1968 "Mr Fantasy" album.
  • Options
    Oggy, I know I'm in a time warp but I still like 'Hole in my Shoe.'
    Wouldn't mind one of those juke boxes to put my singles in.
  • Options
    Smashing pumpkins - Pisces Iscariot - Not too shabby to be fair
  • Options
    question of balance - the moody blues
  • Options
    I was just thinking about this thread as I was walking up the road listening to the quality -

dun dun; dun dun dun
    Palace... what's the matter?
    Palace... what's the matter?

Terrorvision predicting our neighbour's financial strife.
  • Options
    One for you Leroy.

Check out 'Magnified', by a band called Failure(if you don't already know it).
    Whilst not a re-discovery, I stumbled across 'em/discovered 'em via the influences of other bands that I like.
    Made in '94, it sounds like it could have been made now.
    A truly 'stonking', underground alternative album.
    Its up in full on Spotify, check it out if you get the chance!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stefco[/cite]One for you Leroy.

Whilst not a re-discovery, I stumbled across 'em/discovered 'em via the influences of other bands that I like.
    Yeah - cheers Stef, but I never really 'got' them. I know the singer from Tool loves 'em (A Perfect Circle did a cover of 'The Nurse That Loved Me') but they're not really my thing. I've tried - honestly I have - but they just leave me cold.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: vancouveraddick[/cite]Smashing pumpkins - Pisces Iscariot - Not too shabby to be fair
    That's a cracker of a B-Sides album. 'Pissant' is awesome, as is their cover of 'Landslide'
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]

Yeah - cheers Stef, but I never really 'got' them. I know the singer from Tool loves 'em (A Perfect Circle did a cover of 'The Nurse That Loved Me') but they're not really my thing. I've tried - honestly I have - but they just leave me cold.

Thought you would have an ear on them with your alt-rock knowledge. Never mind.;-)

A couple of (what I consider) long lost gems are 'Lime' by a band called Molly Mcguire(not to be confused with The Molly Maguires) & 'Seemless' by a band called Into Another. Both bands have Myspace pages, but can't find the albums on sites like Spotify, We7 or Deezer as yet. Well worth a hunt though!

Worth many listens is 'Frames' by Oceansize. Though not an old album, this is definitely worh investigating!(if you don't already know them)
  • Options
    Penetration-Moving Targets
    Buzzcocks-Another Music in a different Kitchen.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stefco[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]

Thought you would have an ear on them with your alt-rock knowledge. Never mind.;-)

A couple of (what I consider) long lost gems are 'Lime' by a band called Molly Mcguire(not to be confused with The Molly Maguires) & 'Seemless' by a band called Into Another. Both bands have Myspace pages, but can't find the albums on sites like Spotify, We7 or Deezer as yet. Well worth a hunt though!

Worth many listens is 'Frames' by Oceansize. Though not an old album, this is definitely worh investigating!(if you don't already know them)
    Yeah - I like Oceansize. Remind me of a cross between Radiohead and Muse - they could do with a bit more originality, but definitely worth a listen. Another band similar to this is 'Dredg' - especially 'El Cielo' - that's a cracking album and well worth diffing out (listened to it last week, in fact)
  • Options
    The Prodigy - Experience

It's just tune after tune after tune.....especially with my sub on full bass, makes the room vibrate!

Also The Smiths - The Queen is Dead, simply awesome
  • Options
    Hue and Cry -Remote
    Big Country - The Crossing
    Manic Street Preachers- Generation Terrorists.
  • Options
    Husker Du - Zen Arcade. I'd forgotten just how fine an album it really was.
  • Options
    long distance - ivy

more adventurous - rilo kiley
  • Options
    Blue...joni mitchell....bit of a masterpiece
  • Options
    10cc...Changing faces
  • Options
    [quote]LeroyAmbrose:
    Yeah - I like Oceansize. Remind me of a cross between Radiohead and Muse - they could do with a bit more originality, but definitely worth a listen. Another band similar to this is 'Dredg' - especially 'El Cielo' - that's a cracking album and well worth diffing out (listened to it last week, in fact)[/quote]

Haha, & blimey! 'El Cielo' was going to be my next recommendation to you! :-)

Saw 'em back in June at the Islington Academy. 1-off gig to promote their latest album(though still not officially out here yet).

'El Cielo' is their finest record so far. That would be bloody hard to top really. An album I listen to & wish I could have written. 'The Canyon Behind Her', truly jawdropping song!

You sound like a man who likes/knows his epic alt-rock-type stuff, It would be nice to get your opinion on the music here:

www.myspace.com/victoryredtheband

This is/(maybe)was my band, & it may sound like shameless self promotion, but it isn't, as the singer is no longer in the band & we may well call it a day, any day now.

I'd consider our biggest influences are/(maybe)were: FNM, GlassJaw, ATDI, Handsome, Radiohead, Dredg, Helmet, Quicksand, Cave In, Molly McGuire, Bjork, Sunny Day Real Estate, Shihad, Jeff Buckley & more.

Again, more than likely defunct, but if you get a chance, have a listen, it would be good to hear what you think!:-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mrs played the best of bread and america.
    couldnt tell her it was utter tosh!
    reminded me of rod, jane and freddy - JEFWEEYYY!
  • Options
    Voice of the Beehive, chippy music as my other half describes it. Which probably is code for "take it out of the cd player please, its crap."
  • Options
    Music from the Big Pink - The Band
    Cosmic Thing - The B52's
  • Options
    Neds Atomic Dustbin - God Fodder; not sure if it's a quality album but brings back some good memories. Not sure whether to go to a gig they're doing at the Empire after Charlton Millwall on the 19th December - We''l see.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: vancouveraddick[/cite]Neds Atomic Dustbin - God Fodder; not sure if it's a quality album but brings back some good memories. Not sure whether to go to a gig they're doing at the Empire after Charlton Millwall on the 19th December - We''l see.

Blimey, not listened to that for years - will have to dig it out.
  • Options
    Just putting in a shout for The Average White Band "1st" Album ( the White one with their logo on the front)
    It's a great collection of songs, well played and really nicely produced. I didn't appreciate how good it was when I first had it all those years ago, but listening to it now, it's the best thing I've heard in ages.
    If you like that sort of thing of course....;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: 3blokes[/cite]Just putting in a shout for The Average White Band "1st" Album ( the White one with their logo on the front)
    It's a great collection of songs, well played and really nicely produced. I didn't appreciate how good it was when I first had it all those years ago, but listening to it now, it's the best thing I've heard in ages.
    If you like that sort of thing of course....;-)

Which I do.

Only got the AWB Greatest hits but do have the first two Kokomo Albums which are equally good and in the same British Soul vein.
  • Options
    NOW 17. It has Phil Collins : "I Wish It Would Rain Down" on it. Sweet,
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Yeah - I like Oceansize. Remind me of a cross between Radiohead and Muse - they could do with a bit more originality, but definitely worth a listen.

Have only just noticed the Oceansize originality comment above - scandalous, Leroy!

Albums I've 'rediscovered'
    Aereogramme - A Story in White
    A Perfect Circle - Mer de Noms
    Cave-In - Jupiter
  • Options
    Just this week I dug out The Who - Quadrophenia
    Love reign o'er me is awesome as is 5.15.
    The trouble is I can get the image of Leslie Ash being sorted in the alley by Phil Daniles, out of my mind, of course this was before she got the fish lips......