Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Quality albums you've 'rediscovered' recently

Comments

• Meredith Brookes - Blurring the edges
  • I dug out "For to next, and not or" by Steve Hillage when I was back home in Sydney recently.....really enjoyed hearing his guitar work again....then I discovered that he has got a second career and fronts System Seven with long term girly Miquette Giraudy and is huge on the rave/dance music scene....still making excelllent music and long may it continue
  • [cite]Posted By: wickford[/cite]Stray - Stray (Cutout)

Great band - saw them a couple of times at the old Woolwich Poly in the 70's
  • recent 're-discovered' albums:

Angelic Upstarts - 2 million voices
    999 - 999
    The Business - Loud, proud and punk
    The Blood - False gestures for a devious public
  • Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness - The Smashing Pumpkins

Also got the digitally remaster version of Ten, what an album! Even Flow has been my ring tone for a couple of years now.
  • The Man Who Sold The World - David Bowie (The Width Of A Circle track is brill)

Electric Warrior - T.Rex

Sound Affects - The Jam
  • [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]recent 're-discovered' albums:

999 - 999

Blimey, forgot about them,
    will dig out 2 million voices later.
  • edited June 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness - The Smashing Pumpkins

Also got the digitally remaster version of Ten, what an album! Even Flow has been my ring tone for a couple of years now.

Only when you have your phone turned out or the battery hasn't fallen out
  • [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]recent 're-discovered' albums:

999 - 999

Blimey, forgot about them,
    will dig out 2 million voices later.

England is still a brilliant track ... as are all the tracks on that album actually!
  • Ah,but is it racist ?

;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]Ah,but is it racist ?

;-)

Was certainly the question at the time, but I never saw it that way ... but with that band, who knows!
  • Mensi, a Mackem, is, suprisingly,a very clever & funny man.
    Think the NF/bnp idiots followed them about ala. Sham 69, but I remember watching them at couple of RAR gigs.
  • Agreed he is, and they were terrific live. They were definitely in least one RAR gig in London because I remember seeing them.

As for Sham I saw them dozens of times, and let's be honest, the NF following was nothing to do with them - they did their utmost to get rid of them. in fact, their last 5 or 6 gigs in Lodon never actually finished due to the trouble in the audience - Sham plus fans against NF - very lively concerts!
  • Rocks by Aerosmith and Diamond Dogs.
  • [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]recent 're-discovered' albums:
    The drummer from The Blood (one of them anyway) is my tattooist!
  • Totally agree, Pursey & the boys did everything to get rid off them,but they seemed to return in more numbers.
    Any idea why they attached themselves to Sham ?
  • [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]recent 're-discovered' albums:
    The drummer from The Blood (one of them anyway) is my tattooist!

Lead singer, Colin, is a very old mate - used to drink at White Swan in Charlton Village in the late 70's
  • [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]Totally agree, Pursey & the boys did everything to get rid off them,but they seemed to return in more numbers.
    Any idea why they attached themselves to Sham ?

There were never many of them at the very early gigs, but around the time they started playing at venues like LSE in London, the NF were becoming a larger share of the audience.

Skins started attending when the rumour went out that SHAM was an acronym for Skinheads at Margate, a throwback to the skins in the late 60's - but in actual fact, that was never true, as Sham was merely an abbreviation for Hersham where Pursey came from. But it was the music that actually atrracted them (and me and my mates!) - a Sham gig was like singing on the terraces - Pursey never liked it but they were definitely a football fan's band.

One of the few bands where you saw a lot of Charlton and Millwall together in the audience (including Bushell and Danny Baker) and a lot of West Ham.
  • West SHAM ..... ?
  • errr, Johnny Horton - Honky Tonk Man
  • Sponsored links:

• Not an original album, more a collection, but just been playing Bowie live at the Beeb (which I forgot I had) - some absolutely brilliant early acoustic performances, such as Supermen, Width of a Circle, Wde eyed boy from Freecloud, Unwashed and slightly dazed, Kooks.
  • Otis Blue - Otis Redding

1965, a Soul classic of epic proportions..............well I like it.
  • stonemuse - now you're talking, a man after my own heart ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Sam lloyd[/cite]stonemuse - now you're talking, a man after my own heart ;-)

I have an incredible version of 'Supermen' by Bowie on the original Glastonbury Fayre triple album from many years ago, and the one on the Beeb album runs it very close, one of my favourite Bowie songs.
  • I've dug out a the Killers album and, comfortingly, it's still a pack of shite.
  • Newbie here,

Booth and the Bad Angel's self titled album from 1995 is a decent find, having been a James fan for year i've only recently picked up on some of Tim Booth's solo projects.

Also Unknown Pleasures and Closer by Joy Division who for me are one of the greatest bands to have come out of the UK
  • Not recently but I sold all of my Hanoi Rocks collection (pre '85) about 17 years ago then only 2 years ago replaced all with CD - fookin awesome. All on my Ipod
  • One of my all-time fav's is "Wild Is The Wind" on the Station to Station LP. Have you seen him live - incredible
  • [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]The Smiths - The Queen is Dead
    The Smiths - Meat Is Murder
    Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Welcome to the Pleasuredome

Derek & Clive - Come Again
    Derek & Clive - Ad Nauseum

:-)

Read my mind!

LOL....funnily enough, the other half wont let me put derek & clive on in the car.

Always loved the Smiths & Morrissey, but Frankie album is one of my all time favourites, classic album, cant believe I picked it up in HMV for £3 a couple of years back.

I have a similar problem regarding Derek and Clive, any Cook and Moore is well worth a punt! The Smiths were a fantastic never to be equalled band, can't go wrong with anything by them. I agree also with FGTH, the Ballad of the 22!
    Even the album Liverpool was decent.
  • Liege & Lief - Fairport Convention - invented folk rock and gave Sandy Denny her first really big break.