Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

All this having a go at the players stuff

edited December 2006 in General Charlton
It is easy to blame the players when we see the sort of display that they put on against Liverpool, but it isn't just about players not wanting to play or losing heart. Look at how Villa, for example, turned round with O'Neill. I don't think it is just that they wanted to play for the new manager - at last someone had told them how to play, had given them a game plan which probably played to their strengths. Players really are just like staff anywhere, despite the big money; they need good management to get the best out of them. Maybe the new team hasn't had time to get it together yet, but I am worried about all the talk of prozone and so on. It needs motivation and a sound game plan.

Comments

• Options
    You're right to a point and I don't think that we have appointed a manager that will get the best out of them but at the end of the day the players are paid an awful lot of money for what they do and giving 100% effort is the minimum that we (the club and the fans) deserve.

I don't think that many of the players could put their hand up after the Liverpool game and say that the had given us that ...
  • Options
    SS, i agree to a certain extent. But the turning point for me was the Reading game. Watch the game before, then watch the Reading one. For 80 minutes in the Reading match there was a fair chunk of the side that simply did not want to be out on that pitch that afternoon. Workrate was down i would guess 30-40 %. Since then there has been spells of varying lengths during most games where this could also be said to a certain extent.

We don't expect to win, we don't expect world class skill, we don't expect wonderful passing moves. All we can ask is for those that are paid to wear the shirt for 90 minutes to give everything they have. I really don't think that is much to ask.

We should of been treating every game like a cup final since the Fulham away game, yet some have more resembled pre-season friendlies.

Supporters on the whole are not stupid. They know when a side has given its all. If we do that and lose, then no one would have any complaints.