Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is Peter Varney a Charlton fan?

edited May 2009 in General Charlton
If he is he will also have a strong affinity with the Charlton fans. He will also be aware of the feverish speculation over the past 5 or 6 weeks, on all the message boards and in the local papers, linking him with an imminent takeover. He will also be aware of how desperately many fans want the rumours to be true. He will be aware that if he turns up at the Charlton training ground to watch a charity match it would do nothing but intensify this speculation and rumour. He will also be aware that if it turns out there is not, and never was, any truth in the rumours, many fans will be bitterly disappointed. He also knows that, if there is no truth in the rumours, one short phone call to a local or national newspaper would have ended the rumours, and the raising of false hope, at any time in the last 6 weeks.

He has not made that phone call. My personal view is that this is because there is some truth to the rumours and he cannot simply come out and deny them.

However, if it turns out that there is not, and never has been, any truth to the rumours then I think his failure to stop these rumours and the raising of false hopes is unforgivable.

Comments

• I agree. That goes for the board too imho.
  • WSSWSS
    edited May 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]However, if it turns out that there is not, and never has been, any truth to the rumours then I think his failure to stop these rumours and the raising of false hopes is unforgivable.
    What a load of rubbish.

Why should he say anything. He is not a club employee, just a fan like me and you now. Should he stop going to games and events just because of speculation? Of course not, why should what is being rumoured stop him doing what he likes to do, and has been doing for years?

Peter Varney owes this club nothing.

Whether he is involved in anything or not, or even if anything is even going on - he has a right to go about his business as he sees fit and does not have to justify his actions to anyone - especially a bunch of fans who think he does on websites.

I do agree that the silence is suggestive but there needs to be a degree of discreetness (??) if there is something going on - until we get a statement from someone then we will never know for sure BUT if a statement is made by the board now (i.e. too early) it could:

Scare off potential investors
    Affect the price
    Alert other clubs looking for similar investment therefore putting our own proposition in jeopardy.

All pure assumption though.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]However, if it turns out that there is not, and never has been, any truth to the rumours then I think his failure to stop these rumours and the raising of false hopes is unforgivable.
    What a load of rubbish.

Why should he say anything. He is not a club employee, just a fan like me and you now. Should he stop going to games and events just because of speculation? Of course not, why should what is being rumoured stop him doing what he likes to do, and has been doing for years?

Whether he is involved in anything or not, or even if anything is even going on - he has a right to go about his business as he sees fit and does not have to justify his actions to anyone - especially a bunch of fans who think he does on websites.

All true but I disagree. If he is`nt or has not been involved in a consortium then I do think he should say so.
  • It would be nice to know what's going on, it's June tomorrow and I was expecting to at least hear something about Parkinson's future a week or two after the last game. Still no news that we're releasing players like Todorov, Ambrose and Weaver, when it has been clear for a while now they won't be getting new contracts.

I know what you mean, if nothings going on it would have been better for the club to come out and say something. I think there is something going on, so there are probably reasons why they can't announce anything yet or even give the fans a clue.
  • [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]I agree. That goes for the board too imho.

I don't blame the board for not quashing this particular rumour. If they they did it would set a precedent and they would have to respond to every rumour about a possible future sale. The club is currently up for sale so there will be rumours until it is sold. If they respond to one rumour and not another it might imply something that might jeopardise a serious takeover bid. Peter Varney is an individual and if there has never been any truth in the rumours what has he got to gain by not denying them! The more I think about it the more convinced I am that there is some truth to these rumours.
  • Does he work for the clubs community side so no reason for him not to be there
  • Is Peter Varney a Charlton fan?

What an amazing question to ask.

WSS has said it all really. SSN and CNN have created a culture of stories having to be feed and updated 24/7.

However there could be many reasons why neither PV or anyone is talking - nothing happening/something happening but confidential/delicate/not much to say/etc/etc

Peter has raised no "false" hopes because he had said nothing. It is you whose is raising their hopes not PV. If he or the board came out and said "a deal is close" and it then didn't happen they would be criticised for that.

It is frustrating that key decisions haven't been announced but we have this every year, every transfer window "why aren't we being linked with so and so, why are the club doing nothing" when in reality they were, in my experience, doing a lot but quietly, discreetly (discretion was the word you were looking for WSS : - ) behind the scenes.

In the meantime the sun is out, the beer is cold. Chill.
  • & Kent are playing well against Sussex.......

BBC Radio Kent.
  • edited May 2009
    Like most I think there maybe something in the silence, But to issue a statement through the papers? If tomorrow morning there was a headline that read " Varney leads Takeover bid" everyman and his dog would saying its papertalk, but a denial through the papers that he's involved it seems would suffice. With a fear of sounding to much like a cardigan wearing poster on here, lets just wait and see if it appears on the o/s or Mr Murray turns up on ssn surrounded by Sheik mahatmacoat and his mates, silence is golden. ;)
  • [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]Like most I think there maybe something in the silence, But to issue a statement through the papers? If tomorrow morning there was a headline that read " Varney leads Takeover bid" everyman and his dog would saying its papertalk, but a denial through the papers that he's involved it seems would suffice. With a fear of sounding to much like a cardigan wearing poster on here, lets just wait and see if it appears on the o/s or Mr Murray turns up on ssn surrounded Sheik mahatmacoat, silence is golden. ;)

You've heard the Mahatmacoat rumours as well then. Reliable source?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2009
    Trust me, the guy is parking on NLA's driveway as we speak.
  • edited May 2009
    He'd have to be a big fella to be able to surround Richard Murray all by himself.
  • [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]He'd have to be a big fella to be able to surround Richard Murray all by himself.

Nah, Richard's a skinny f****** ; - )
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]He'd have to be a big fella to be able to surround Richard Murray all by himself.[/quote]

Edited, just for you Ali. Dont tell Henry but I've drinking his cold beers all afternoon ;)
  • Thought (Sir) Henry was more of a Pimms, or Port & Brandy man.
  • [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]He'd have to be a big fella to be able to surround Richard Murray all by himself.

Edited, just for you Ali. Dont tell Henry but I've drinking his cold beers all afternoon ;)

Bastard! : - 0
  • [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]Thought (Sir) Henry was more of a Pimms, or Port & Brandy man.

Umm Pimms! Yes Port and Brandy no.

Do quite fancy a G & T but driving later so no booze today.
  • edited May 2009
    Dont worry, I'll have one for you! Loads of ice and a slice of lemon. FANTASTIC :)
  • edited May 2009
    [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]He'd have to be a big fella to be able to surround Richard Murray all by himself.
    Sorry TCE, I know it was pedantic of me, it's just you left me with the mental image of an Arab Sheikh built like a sumo wrestler (ooh, maybe that's where the Japanese rumours are coming from!) giving Richard Murray a bear hug.
  • edited May 2009
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    What a load of rubbish.

I do agree that the silence is suggestive but there needs to be a degree of discreetness (??) if there is something going on - until we get a statement from someone then we will never know for sure BUT if a statement is made by the board now (i.e. too early) it could:

Scare off potential investors
    Affect the price
    Alert other clubs looking for similar investment therefore putting our own proposition in jeopardy.

All pure assumption though.
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Is Peter Varney a Charlton fan?

What an amazing question to ask.

WSS has said it all really. SSN and CNN have created a culture of stories having to be feed and updated 24/7.

However there could be many reasons why neither PV or anyone is talking - nothing happening/something happening but confidential/delicate/not much to say/etc/etc

Peter has raised no "false" hopes because he had said nothing. It is you whose is raising their hopes not PV. If he or the board came out and said "a deal is close" and it then didn't happen they would be criticised for that.

It is frustrating that key decisions haven't been announced but we have this every year, every transfer window "why aren't we being linked with so and so, why are the club doing nothing" when in reality they were, in my experience, doing a lot but quietly, discreetly (discretion was the word you were looking for WSS : - ) behind the scenes.

In the meantime the sun is out, the beer is cold. Chill.

You have both completely missed the point I was making.

Of course if there is some truth to the rumour then he cannot deny or confirm it.

And as I said in an earlier post I don't expect the board to confirm and deny every rumour that crops up!

The point I was making is that if there has never been any truth in the rumour about Peter Varney's link with a takeover bid, a rumour that has grown in intensity with each passing week, why has he not denied it?

Of course he owes the club nothing! But what about his fellow fans? As a fan like the rest of us why would he be willing to let these rumours and false hopes continue?

I know that if I was in Peter Varney's shoes and there was no truth in the rumours I would deny them out of respect for my fellow Charlton fans.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2009
    The question in the title was rhetorical. Of course he is a Charlton fan. And I have nothing but respect for what he has done for this club. The real point I am making is that because he is a Charlton fan, and knows exactly the feelings and hopes every Charlton fan is experiencing at this time, he would not have let these rumours develop as far as they have if there were no truth in them, and therefore I conclude he is involved in a takeover bid.

If it turns out there has never been any truth in these rumours then I will have to review my opinion of Peter Varney. Which, of course, I am perfectly entitled to do and express!
  • I think your last sentence may have answered you own question, If there was "NO" truth in it I'm sure he would, but maybe, just maybe, there is something happening? But I dont perscribe to this, we are intitled to know!! We will be told when the powers that be decide. And trust me I want to know as much as the next man.
  • PV a Charlton fan, i know that i have suggested more than a few flse hoods on here just to amuse myself and let you all in to a few titbits of rumour that i have got hold of and played around with it.

The fact of the matter is that Peter Varney IS CHARLTON as much if not more than most of us on here and i nclude myself in that, he doesnt have to say anything because right now there is nothing to say, we learnt a huge lesson with zabeel and wont do that again
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]PV a Charlton fan, i know that i have suggested more than a few flse hoods on here just to amuse myself and let you all in to a few titbits of rumour that i have got hold of and played around with it.

The fact of the matter is that Peter Varney IS CHARLTON as much if not more than most of us on here and i nclude myself in that, he doesnt have to say anything because right now there is nothing to say, we learnt a huge lesson with zabeel and wont do that again

He only has to say something if there is no truth in the rumours. If there is no truth in the rumours why let them continue and grow and result in a lot of disappointment for a lot of Charlton fans? If there is any truth in the rumours then quite rightly he should not confirm or deny.
  • [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]
    [cite]

He only has to say something if there is no truth in the rumours. If there is no truth in the rumours why let them continue and grow and result in a lot of disappointment for a lot of Charlton fans? If there is any truth in the rumours then quite rightly he should not confirm or deny.

And which rumour does he deny?

The Arab, the Bill Curbishley, the Irish, the Japanese, etc, etc?

Where does he stop as as soon as he doesn't deny a rumour it will be jumped on as "he denied the others and not this one so it must be true".

Maybe if there is a buyer or buyers they don't want the whole world to know they are looking at Charlton. Maybe publicity of a failed takeover is not good for them. Who knows?

If there is a takeover and it is finalised next week, next month or whenever have we as individuals lost anything by not knowing about it earlier? No we haven't.

Would it be great if any deal had already happened and we were all picking new players/managers to sign? yes it would but it hasn't been done and it may never be. It may have never been true or have died a death months ago. We don't know.
  • Just when you thought that we had exhausted the subject of the takeover from almost every conceivable angle some poster finds yet another angle.....Jeeezuz H, it's becoming curiouser and curiouser by the minute.....have any of you guys thought of writing for The Sun or The Star...you'd go down a storm!
  • Jesus leave the guy alon and let him get along and enjoy his life. He has no responsibility to you whatever he's up to, and if he's up to nothing he doesn't have to seek out the press to deny geek rumours.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]
    [cite][/cite]
    [cite]

He only has to say something if there is no truth in the rumours. If there is no truth in the rumours why let them continue and grow and result in a lot of disappointment for a lot of Charlton fans? If there is any truth in the rumours then quite rightly he should not confirm or deny.[/cite]
    [cite]

And which rumour does he deny?

The Arab, the Bill Curbishley, the Irish, the Japanese, etc, etc?

Where does he stop as as soon as he doesn't deny a rumour it will be jumped on as "he denied the others and not this one so it must be true".

Maybe if there is a buyer or buyers they don't want the whole world to know they are looking at Charlton. Maybe publicity of a failed takeover is not good for them. Who knows?

If there is a takeover and it is finalised next week, next month or whenever have we as individuals lost anything by not knowing about it earlier? No we haven't.

Would it be great if any deal had already happened and we were all picking new players/managers to sign? yes it would but it hasn't been done and it may never be. It may have never been true or have died a death months ago. We don't know.[/cite]

Obviously there is only one rumour that he can deny (if there is no truth in it), and only one. And that is the rumour that he is linked with a takeover bid!

I will stress the point again. I am only talking about the scenario where it turns out there has never been any truth in the rumour linking Peter Varney to a takeover bid. What justification has he got for not denying them, if not in the early weeks (as stated elsewhere why should he deny or confirm every rumour about his plans) then certainly in the last few weeks when every Charlton fan is desperate for some concrete information and the rumours linking him to the takeover just wont go away.

I am not talking about the board and I am not talking about any prospective buyers. I am only expressing a view about Peter Varney if it turns out there has never been any truth in the rumours that he is linked with a takeover bid.
  • [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Just when you thought that we had exhausted the subject of the takeover from almost every conceivable angle some poster finds yet another angle.....Jeeezuz H, it's becoming curiouser and curiouser by the minute.....have any of you guys thought of writing for The Sun or The Star...you'd go down a storm!

Is somebody forcing you to read this thread?
  • edited May 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Just when you thought that we had exhausted the subject of the takeover from almost every conceivable angle some poster finds yet another angle.....Jeeezuz H, it's becoming curiouser and curiouser by the minute.....have any of you guys thought of writing for The Sun or The Star...you'd go down a storm!

Is somebody forcing you to read this thread?

What a strange thing to say Red.......I read just about everything on this board that's to do with the club....whether I'm interested in it or not and whether I agree or disagree. Sometimes I make comments and sometimes I don't, it's called freedom of expression Red.
    Nobody is forcing you to post either........ be it by starting a thread to everyone, or more directly to me...you chose to post.
    I could just as easily say no one is 'forcing' (as you put it) you to read my replies or comments....but you do don't you, it's what keeps the board alive.
    Must we only read stuff that interests us....how do we know until we've read it?
    Or do you only want folk who agree with you to read your posts...of course you don't....or at least I hope not, how boring that would be.