Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Skint Charlton can't even afford Josh Wright???

In Saturday's SUN:

CASH-STRAPPED Charlton could lose £700,000- rated midfielder Josh Wright for NOTHING.

Wright, 19, who has been on loan at Gillingham, has triggered a clause in his contract that says he must get a new deal on at least the same terms.

Addicks cannot match his £1,200-a-week deal so the FA say the club must give him a free transfer.

Comments

• Such awful journalism, it beggars belief.

IF all of this were true about being unable to match his wages etc blah blah blah... he's under 24 so, under Bosman rules, we'd get a fee for him.

"Hmm, I haven't written an article yet this week, what shall I do? I know, I'll read an article on some little known footballer (anyone too famous and I'll get found out!) and change it slightly, adding some bullshit to give it interest."

Utter crap.
  • In yesterdays Sun...er that'll be rubbish then.
  • we don't want him . FACT
  • Isn't his dad his agent? If so, he seems to be doing quite a good job...
  • £700,000 rated....Jeeeezuz,someone is having a laugh there.
  • Agreed. Bloke is nothing special. £1,200 a week is too much. Let him go.
  • I suspect Gillingham have made him an offer of about that amount and his agent is trying to conduct a Dutch Auction through the papers.
  • edited May 2009
    It's not that we can't afford £1,200 per week. More like we don't think he's good enough to play in the first team and therefore he's not worth paying that amount if he's not going to play.£60,000pa is a lot to pay for a resource that won't be used. Especially when you consider we can't afford £25,000 for the scoreboard and we've had to make some good people redundant who probably nearly all earnt less.
  • if we can get even £500,000 take it!!
  • How has he triggered a clause? By playing two games in the first team? By playing regularly for the reserves?

Surely playing games out on loan doesn't trigger clauses?

He could be a decent player later on in his career, but he doesn't do quite enough to be a regular for me and I'd imagine Parkinson feels the same. Not much difference in ability between him and Spring though, and obviously far more potential with Spring 30 next season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Trigger a clause???

Erm he's out of contract, players leave at the end of their contracts if they are not renewed.

You could re-write this article and insert the names of any players out of contract next month.
  • His old man is an agent full stop, touted him round every club in London before we signed him.

He will make a living out of football but he won't uproot many trees.
  • bull shit we can't afford that yet were apparently targeting the bloke from southend and wade small?
  • ok calm down,just because,he has a clause and might want a move he is a good for nothing tosser.Whatever the wrongs and rights he went about things last season,he is a very good young player.At present central midfield is a area we are extremely strong in,but that is at the moment it may not be the case come the start of the season.I for one would like the situation sorted as I rate him,and know somebody who had a trial wen he was on loan at Barnet.They told me he was head and shoulders above anyone else there.Yes it was only Barnet but he was only 18 at the time.Let's calm down and go calling him every name under the sun.
  • edited May 2009
    Well you may say that but Barnet didn't take him when he was available for free and I know that from a very relaible source.
  • [cite]Posted By: J BLOCK joe[/cite]bull shit we can't afford that yet were apparently targeting the bloke from southend and wade small?

As said more likely we can't afford those sort of wages on a back up player. Say we only have a certain amount of the budget to spend on central midfielders, we can no longer to keep 10 of them. If Bailey, Racon, Shelvey all stay he'll find it very hard to play regularly. Of course they could all go and we might need him to play regularly if we don't sign any replacements. We don't know if Holland or Semedo will stay either, and Yussuff and Arter are also out of contract.
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]Well you may say that but Barnet didn't take him when he was available for free and I know that from a very relaible source.

Surely that's down to them having enough CMs and/or wage demands? He won player of the year and they were very pleased with him, he even sent a letter to their manager to thank him for giving him the chance.

I doubt it was down to ability for them not wanting to sign him. We've seen him play for our first team, looked ok in the Championship, there's got to be more behind it.
  • edited May 2009
    is it right that in order to be entitled to compensation for a young player at the end of their contract you have to make them an offer that is at least equal to their current deal? or do you get compensation even if you don't offer them anything? maybe in some twisted confused journo way that's what it means. Unless we offer him a matching renewal of £1200 then we won't get compensation when he leaves.

i think he's a good player and want him to stay. I hope his attitude is right though.
  • I suspect Gillingham have made him an offer of about that amount and his agent is trying to conduct a Dutch Auction through the papers.. Len Glover
    I think this is more near the mark, agent hawking..........
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: floydandharvey[/cite]Agreed. Bloke is nothing special. £1,200 a week is too much. Let him go.[/quote]

Agreed
  • Typical of the Millwall Sun and it's continuing attempts to try and attack our club. Spunkless cum that all.Typical Snu garbage.
  • Sponsored links:

• Before Bosman you had to offer a similar fee with a small percentage increase to retain registration. I've never heard of having to offer them a contract these days to retain rights over a player.
  • Wouldn't care if he never pulled on our shirt again.

Overrated.
  • I thought the couple of games for the first team he did okay. I'd offer him a deal as I think he's worth a fee. However, in a straight choice between him and Harry Arter, if we could only offer one a deal, I'd go for Arter.
  • edited May 2009
    [cite]Posted By: BBClaus[/cite]is it right that in order to be entitled to compensation for a young player at the end of their contract you have to make them an offer that is at least equal to their current deal? or do you get compensation even if you don't offer them anything? maybe in some twisted confused journo way that's what it means. Unless we offer him a matching renewal of £1200 then we won't get compensation when he leaves.

i think he's a good player and want him to stay. I hope his attitude is right though.

You only get compo if you offer a contract which is equal or better than than the current one AND then the player decides to leave for another club. so yes then.

With our current midfield he is surplus to requirements, end of, shame cos could be a good player one day but we need good players now not in a few years time.

also there's no way he'll get more than £1,400 a week anywhere, we we're mugs to be playing youth players this amount (all our youth players have been gettin these sorts of contracts I know for fact Arters also on this and there's also a SUBSTANTIAL appearance bonus aswel), rediculous if you ask me, 17/18 years olds already on more than 72k a year, hard life as a footballer isn't it?! without making a first team appearance you could have your own house and car with no debt before your 20
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]I thought the couple of games for the first team he did okay. I'd offer him a deal as I think he's worth a fee. However, in a straight choice between him and Harry Arter, if we could only offer one a deal, I'd go for Arter.

Why's that? Because Arter's been injured and this season out on loan I've not seen him play, compared to Wright who I've seen a few times now.

I'd imagine Arter still has more to prove, he's only been on loan with Welling in the BSS, and Staines (one division below?). Wright's not had any big injuries either, Arter will have to show he can stay injury free.
    [cite]Posted By: scruffle[/cite]also there's no way he'll get more than £1,400 a week anywhere, we we're mugs to be playing youth players this amount (all our youth players have been gettin these sorts of contracts I know for fact Arters also on this and there's also a SUBSTANTIAL appearance bonus aswel), rediculous if you ask me, 17/18 years olds already on more than 72k a year, hard life as a footballer isn't it?! without making a first team appearance you could have your own house and car with no debt before your 20

Will this even be the same for Clark and Stavrinou who have/will sign pro soon? Even players like Yussuff?
  • I suppose it comes down to the mad mad world of Football economics, where kids get paid amounts that their parents could never dream of earning. I wonder what the prem are paying their kids, I expect we are pretty cheap comparitievly.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: scruffle[/cite]also there's no way he'll get more than £1,400 a week anywhere, we we're mugs to be playing youth players this amount (all our youth players have been gettin these sorts of contracts I know for fact Arters also on this and there's also a SUBSTANTIAL appearance bonus aswel), rediculous if you ask me, 17/18 years olds already on more than 72k a year, hard life as a footballer isn't it?! without making a first team appearance you could have your own house and car with no debt before your 20

Will this even be the same for Clark and Stavrinou who have/will sign pro soon? Even players like Yussuff?

In all honestly I dont know, I should imagine that since we have plumeted down the leagues so has the pay grade for the youngsters comin through in the last yr
  • He apparently has an attitude.....what teenager doesnt? Personally I rate him, and if he was managed properly would be an asset even in the championship. One Id personally hang on to.....I had him earmarked for International honours if he can settle down under the right tutelage
  • [cite]Posted By: TelinOz[/cite]He apparently has an attitude.....what teenager doesnt? Personally I rate him, and if he was managed properly would be an asset even in the championship. One Id personally hang on to.....I had him earmarked for International honours if he can settle down under the right tutelage

i know what you mean but young players can't rely on their ability. if they won't show the dedication there's plenty of others who will. When grant basey made his debut pardew talked about how he always stays late after training. Jonjo seems to have the dedication. I hope josh does too because he's got the potential. People say it's his business who he hangs out with and if he likes to be in the papers and that's absolutely true, but there are plenty of examples of a player's life away from football affecting their performance and how far they go in the game. The club have to take it all into account and are in a much better position to judge.
  • 'what teenager doesnt' you ask? Jonjo definitely doesnt i can assure you. So i'm not happy with that assumption. I have seen Wright play quite a bit now & i'd be happy to keep him. But not if his agent/father wants to try & squeeze more more money out of us. Clubs in lower leagues are going to have to sort something out soon as they can't carry on paying ridiculous wages & survive.