Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Wright in the dark?

edited May 2009 in General Charlton
LINK

You and us both Joshy boy.Think we need to keep him.Ian Holloway couldn't believe that we had loaned a player of his quality out when he commentated at the Gills playoff.
"Charlton have got better players than this!!" i think were his exact words.

Time to start pulling some fingers out.

Comments

• If Ian Holloway says it - it must be true as he has been to all of our games this season.
  • Well i've seen a quite a bit of him and he looks alright.Still very young
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]If Ian Holloway says it - it must be true as he has been to all of our games this season.

I think this was said with his tongue embedded firmly in cheek...a bit of piss taking considering we got relegated and Joshy had a good game
  • I wonder what Uncle (who has probably seen Josh and Jonjo the most) thinks of Josh
  • I agree Tel - which is why relying on his words to partly form an opinion about Josh.

In my humble opinion he still has a very long way to go - he has not played much this season at all really. And until we know where we stand with Jonjo, Nicky, Therry, and even ZZ for definate - the decision to keep him or not is up in the air.

If two or more of them go then yes i'd say keep him as he will do a job in League 1. If only one of the above go and he is guaranteed a place i'd let him go (to another L1 club?) so he can play football which he needs to as a youngster. Fact is, there are 3/4 central midfielders at the club who are ahead of him at the moment.
  • I must say I find this talk of him being the best player on the pitch in the play off final a bit hard to agree with. There is no doubt that he has bags of confidence in his own ability (which is no bad thing) and has a lot of talent and composure on the ball. He made a few effective short and long forward passes. But there were times when he strolled around middle of the pitch as if he thought he was Fanz Beckenbauer! Often he would pass the ball 10 yards sideways and then instead of sprinting forward to create space and/or a passing opportunity for the player he had just passed to, he would jog up to that player with the palms of his hands gesturing to his feet demanding the ball back as if to say 'OK, I know I passed it to you but if we want anything to happen here you need to pass it back to your team's only real playmaker', and then he would pass sideways or backwards again. He rarely hurt the opposition and he made very few tackles.

I read several newspaper player assessments and he got 6 out of 10 in all of them which I thought was an accurate assessment of his performance.

Having said all this I think we must keep him. With his self confidence and ability he has a lot of potential. When Frank Lampard was his age he had the same swagger and the West Ham fans did not rate him.

As for being in the dark about his future, what does he expect? We don’t have a manager at the moment.
  • have to agree with you there Red SE8 - I watched parts of the match in between the golf at Wentworth and thought all Josh Wright did was pass the ball around the back 4 and didn't get out of his half (apart from the shot, which was pretty decent).......wouldn't put him in our midfield at present and he needs to bulk up a bit first.

The big thing the article tells me though is that we as a club are drifting. Surely Parky or one of his coaching staff should have been at Wembley and been in contact with Josh to let him know where he fits in with their plans for next season.
  • I know what you mean, same thing when I saw him against Brighton reserves. Didn't do much wrong, always passing the ball, but it's simply not enough to get into our team at the moment. Obviously we might not have any of ZZ, Jonjo, Bailey or Racon next season, but I don't see him as good enough yet to be a regular if we want promotion. Needs to take his game up to the next level. He doesn't have to be throwing himself into tackles or scoring wonder goals, but needs to offer more than just being a decent passer and ok tackler.
  • To be fair, at times last year we were crying out for someone who could "just" spot and make the simple pass.

That said, and with very little knowledge, I just get the vibe that the fellas "attitude" isn't right. Good luck if he proves that rumour wrong.
  • Sponsored links:

• That's the feeling I've started to get. From what I've read it seems he thinks he's a level above what he really is at the moment, and some people have said he likes going out drinking more than he should. Doesn't seem to have progressed as much as we would have hoped this season compared to a year ago. He went to Barnet and developed well, did hope he would have built on that and made more than the 2 first team appearances that he did.

Probably not all his fault, there is a lot of competition in midfield here. Will be interesting to see how he does next season, whether that's with us or somewhere else. He still has potential, we don't want to let him go and then see him really improve. It's not really the same, but look at Parker, he took his game up a couple of levels suddenly at 20/21. Gareth Barry has developed throughout his career, last few years especially when he looked like he was going to Liverpool and he started playing a lot more often for England. He might turn out to be a player that is stuck in League One and Two most of his career, but it could well go the other way if he really wants to put in the work.