Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Old Aston Villa mascot, absolutely shocking!

2a9vd5i.jpg

Thank god we've moved on!

Comments

• ron atkinson era?
  • edited May 2009
    did you ask Rags Mahone to use that?
  • Why is it shocking? Its must be 50 years ago and a different era of what was acceptable and whats not. I agree it would be shocking now but not then.
  • [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]Why is it shocking? Its must be 50 years ago and a different era of what was acceptable and whats not. I agree it would be shocking now but not then.

Agree. You can see Danny Blanchflower in the photo and he left Villa in 1954.

Good to see things have move on more than a little since then
  • Come on George, it's pretty funny, you have to admit :-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]Why is it shocking? Its must be 50 years ago and a different era of what was acceptable and whats not. I agree it would be shocking now but not then.

Agree. You can see Danny Blanchflower in the photo and he left Villa in 1954.

I can see the cardy you wear its not second hand is it!!
  • Lol, thats well funny. Just goes to show how far we have come since those dark days!!

No pun intended!!
  • [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU16[/cite][cite][/cite]Why is it shocking? Its must be 50 years ago and a different era of what was acceptable and whats not. I agree it would be shocking now but not then.
    Apparently West Brom had a mascot called Chinky!

It's funny in a, how out out of order were we in the past sort of way!
  • His mother in law has just been found in a frezzer in Sidcup
  • Presumably 'Darkie' was being forced to wear that outfit. Or is he gloriously oblivious to the shocking situation he found himself in?
  • Sponsored links:

[cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]Why is it shocking? Its must be 50 years ago and a different era of what was acceptable and whats not. I agree it would be shocking now but not then.

are we talking about the (at least) 3 people smoking in the crowd?
  • [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]It's funny in a,how out out of order were we in the pastsort of way!

Spot on
  • And there's people smoking in the stands
  • [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]And there's people smoking in the stands

And some folk even seem to be actually enjoying themselves...whatever next!
  • William Dean, the great Everton and England Striker, was said to always dislike his nickname as it was a reference to him being quite dark skinned
  • Shocking how many in the crowd are wearing ties.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]William Dean, the great Everton and England Striker, was said to always dislike his nickname as it was a reference to him being quite dark skinned

What...you mean Dixie?????
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]William Dean, the great Everton and England Striker, was said to always dislike his nickname as it was a reference to him being quite dark skinned

So what is the rest of the story dude, you gotta tell us the name!! Or it was pointless saying anything??
  • [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]William Dean, the great Everton and England Striker, was said to always dislike his nickname as it was a reference to him being quite dark skinned

yes
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]William Dean, the great Everton and England Striker, was said to always dislike his nickname as it was a reference to him being quite dark skinned

yes

Mmmmmm.............. I never heard that before?
  • Sponsored links:

• and only one woman in the crowd, christ you get more on the C.L.I.T annual day out
  • [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]and only one woman in the crowd, christ you get more on the C.L.I.T annual day out

???? At least three I can spot. You're getting old, mate : - 0
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]

yes

Mmmmmm.............. I never heard that before?

"His nickname "Dixie" is said to have been given to him by fans due to his dark complexion and curly black hair, which was, in their perception, similar to that of African Americans in the Southern United States. Dean himself deeply disliked the moniker, preferring to be known as Bill or Billy."
  • edited May 2009
    Just found out that Dixie didn't appreciate the name because he was a very modest and unasuming kind of character....the name was given because of his very dark crinkley hair....and not because of his skin colour...which incidently was white..... although he had a slight latino look.
    [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]And there's people smoking in the stands

And some folk even seem to be actually enjoying themselves...whatever next!
    It's taken before kick off!
  • Christ on a bike.

Different times, I suppose.
  • Now I understand why Prince William supports Villa
  • [cite]Posted By: SparrowsLane[/cite]Now I understand why Prince William supports Villa

Classic!
  • The second bloke doesn't look too keen on shaking the mascot's hand, does he.

Oh, and I've got one thing to say to the crowd: "Siiiddaarrrrrn!"
  • I can see Albert Steptoe in a Trilby, halfway up on the left behind the big guy with the open necked white shirt....Haarroooolldd