Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Appoint Nigel Adkins - NOW !!!

not jumping on a bandwagon here as I've been mentioning him for months, as have a few others. Twice in three seasons he has taken unfancied Scunthorpe out of League 1 into the Championship and last season was unlucky not to keep them there. Some may remember our 5-2 thumping 1-0 battering away to them last season. Scunthorpe are 17th in League 1 on crowd size and so he has certainly over achieved there. He has got them playing neat, tidy, attractive football but, more importantly, effective winning football. He has achieved this on a budget that hardly is deserving of that name. Next season, even in the Championship, Scunthorpe will operate on a budget that is less than half of the budget we will be operating on in League 1, a league below. Scunthorpe are never going to be able to achieve more than mid table in the Championship. That isn't meant to be derogatory to them and nor should it be. However, Scunthorpe is a relatively small Lincolnshire town and crowds will never get into five figures. Nigel Adkins has proved that he is a more than capable football manager but he has achieved all he can at Scunthorpe. He needs a new challenge. We are that new challenge. We have the potential that Scunthorpe don't have. We have a large stadium that we know we can fill given even a half decent team. Nigel, we need you. Come on down !!

You may ask 'what about Parky, we have a manager'. You may ask 'how can we afford to get rid of Parky, pay Scunthorpe compensation and finance Adkins's wages'. Good questions. To get out of League 1 most of all we need a Manager up to the task. We may be left with some decent players but a Manager is the most important cog in the wheel. Parky isn't that man, Nigel Adkins is. Personally, given the choice of keeping say Nicky Bailey but having to stick with Parky OR selling Nicky Bailey but appointing Nigel Adkins I'd definately go with the latter. It isn't that Nicky Bailey isn't a decent player, he is, it isn't that we wouldn't miss him, we would, but one player won't get you promoted. One decent Manager might. If it meant selling Bailey for 1m, settling with Southend and then compo to Scunthorpe and then 200k pa on a three year deal for Adkins I'd say do it, no hesitation. The winner for Scunny today was scored by a player who was playing non-league football this time last year, the other two by a player I've never heard off. Just two players plucked from obscurity by Adkins but both showed composure in front of goal that very few of our players possess. Lloyd Sam for example would not have scored from either of those chances. The centre-halves were not of the quality of Darren Ward but they played as a pair of centre-halves should, as a pairing, complementing each other, covering for each other. Scunthorpe as a whole played as a team, and that is what will get you out of League 1.

So, there you have it. I don't care how it's done, I don't care how it's financed, but let's for once make a decent decision and appoint the man capable of hauling us of League 1, Nigel Adkins.

Comments

• You make a good case, Large, and he certainly deserves a fresh challenge with a "bigger" club.
    But without a takeover I think the board are set on Parky; whereas the rumoured new owners will probably want a bigger name.

Adkins is certainly the sort of up and coming manager you could get excited about.
    My own dream choice would be Roberto Martinez.
  • edited May 2009
    that is the difference though Nuts. Martinez is a dream, Adkins could become reality. A bigger name might boost season ticket sales but might not get us out of League 1. Adkins would instantly be liked because he kept Millwall down, so off on the right foot. We can't keep waiting for a takeover that might never happen, we need to start being proactive again. Parky is toast, we just need to pick the right replacement.
  • Why would he drop a division.....

Hes also in love with his team and his players you could see that in the after match intervies....( the opposite of Mourinhio after he won the champs league with Porto)...

I dont think he will be leaving...
  • [cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]Why would he drop a division.....

Hes also in love with his team and his players you could see that in the after match intervies....( the opposite of Mourinhio after he won the champs league with Porto)...

I dont think he will be leaving...

why would he drop a Division ? For a challenge, to better himself. If he has any ambition, which I am sure he has, he is not going to achieve those ambitions with Scunthorpe. Look at their home crowds this season, average about 4,500. We have already sold that many season tickets at a time when we are all disillusioned. We averaged 27k in the PL, we are a big(ish) Club with potential. He loves his team and his players but not enough to keep him there is offered the chance to move onwards and upwards. Another thread suggests Owen Coyle as Manager of the Season. Funny when he would have left Burnley in November if given the chance .....
  • If he becomes our new manager I would be very happy. As I would if we could get Martinez. Would be happy with Darren Ferguson as well.

You're not wrong about their potential, they will find it hard to ever get any further than mid table in the Championship at best. Clubs like Swansea have come up and done well, but they have bigger grounds and more fans.

All three of them have got their teams playing good football and got the best out of what they have, which is exactly what we need in a manager.

I do agree about letting a player go if it means we can get in a manager that we know would do a good job. Players can be replaced. Last season Zheng and Ambrose scored the goals from midfield, this season Bailey did.

One big problem for me is he's been there for a very long time, surprisingly since 1996. Had managed Bangor City in the Welsh league for a bit before that.

Over a year old, but interesting article on him here.

Trying to find out when his contract at Scunthorpe is up, but struggling to find anything.
  • Sco, Martinez or Ferguson would be great but, unlike Adkins, are unrealistic. Swansea and Peterborough are on the up and have potential and, in the case of Peterborough, a rich backer. Just because he has been there a long time doesn't mean he won't leave. Wasn't he there as phsyio first?
  • Oh I know that, really just saying I'd also be happy if we could get them. He's certainly the only one that's realistic because of the reasons you've explained.

He was physio for about 10 years, 1996 to 2006. Then became caretaker, then got the job permanently.

Not saying he won't leave, but there are always a very small number of people in football that are happy where they are. Would definitely be worth approaching him, but I wouldn't say he would definitely take it. Could imagine he'd like a go at keeping them in the Championship. Some managers are happy to leave when they feel they've taken a club as far as they can, others don't mind staying at the same level.
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]A bigger name might boost season ticket sales but might not get us out of League 1.

I think that's another good point. A big name manager might not have the knowledge and contacts in League One, while someone that knows the players, the clubs etc could do a lot better, even if they aren't quite as good tactically or when it comes to motivating players. Getting the right players (and keeping the better ones) will make a huge difference to next season.

In fact Adkins also got the best out of Kelly Youga, was a very confident player when he came back and got his chance for us. How many managers could do that...!
  • yeah, forgot about him improving Youga no end. I think motivation is probably Adkins's strong point. His players obviously play for him and would run through a brick wall for him.
  • Any man who beats shitewall is fine with me.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2009
    Was it 5-2 away last season?
  • His after match interviews, just told you some much about him as a man and a manager - it was all about the what an amazing group of people his players are and how they work for each other and how he was "proud for them"...........none of it was about him. I think he would be an excellent appointment for CAFC, however I imagine there are several clubs who may be casting and envious eye is his direction.

Does come across as the sort of fella who see's the job through.
  • Good shout from Large.

If that fails we could use Latimer as a look-a-likey?
  • [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]Was it 5-2 away last season?

I'm sure we lost 1-0 away to Scunthorpe..and 5-2 to Blackpool
  • Why would Adkins come to us!! He just got promoted to the Champ, and we just got relegated to league whatever the feck it is!!
  • Let's face facts unless this take over his some spectacular amount of dosh behind it none of the names mentioned above will be here next season,i'd love Adkins to our manager but i'm sorry it ain't gonna happen.
  • Today's Sun linking us with Mark Stimpson!
  • [cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]Good shout from Large.

If that fails we could use Latimer as a look-a-likey?[div class=Attachments id=Attachments_462583][ul][div]latimer.jpg[/div][/ul][/div]

I'm so pleased that it's not just me that noticed that
  • I'd be very happy if he did. But for him I hope he doesn't. He took over a motivated squad, which he's had to overhaul twice now but there was a good energy at the club already.

Our squad is woeful, even with the improvement under Parky a majority of them couldn't even dominate physically for twenty odd minutes let alone a whole half. The best thing about Scunny was their energy at compressing the game and every single player backing up a teammate. I wonder why Youga was good in that environment?

As an improving young manager I hope he goes to a club where they have every chance of success. Next year is a dead year for us, the sort of year that chews up a good young manager. And so for that reason if he goes somewhere I hope it's to a club like Ipswich that will be able to back it's manager.
  • [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]Why would Adkins come to us!! He just got promoted to the Champ, and we just got relegated to league whatever the feck it is!!

For the same reason that Simon Grayson left Blackpool to drop a league and manage Leeds. Bigger club, bigger support, bigger job.
  • Sponsored links:

• You cant really compare us n Leeds tho!! They are big club, with big support, we are a small club who punched above our weight for a few season, with crap support!!
  • [cite]Posted By: Essex_Al[/cite]Today's Sun linking us with Mark Stimpson!

That will please Scally....yeah do it just to piss Penfold off...i mean what could go wrong with appointing a manager just to piss off another clubs chairman.....oh!
  • Why would Adkins come to us, dropping down a division. Our ambitions, if they are beyond Parkinson are going to have to face the overwhelming impression that we are a club that has not got a clue from top to bottom. Adkins can do better than us,why not wait around for Boro to make a poor start to the season, Southgate to leave and Gibson to come running to Adkins.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]Was it 5-2 away last season?[/quote]

No we lost 1-0 it certainly wasn't 5-2!!!
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: addick1965[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]Was it 5-2 away last season?[/quote]

I'm sure we lost 1-0 away to Scunthorpe..and 5-2 to Blackpool[/quote]

We lost 5-3 to Blackpool. Anyway, splitting hairs apart Nigel Adkins is a superb manager.
  • Lol Stone/Buckshee not only you two but CAFC fan/Deon Burton's Gardener sent me a text suggesting same. Would love to be next CAFC manager no experience but what the heck if that fails Cameron might have me as an MP

On the question of look a likes Stone

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/Ravanelli.bmp
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Why would Adkins come to us, dropping down a division. Our ambitions, if they are beyond Parkinson are going to have to face the overwhelming impression that we are a club that has not got a clue from top to bottom. Adkins can do better than us,why not wait around for Boro to make a poor start to the season, Southgate to leave and Gibson to come running to Adkins.[/quote]

Well he clearly won't be coming to us until the once much vaunted Board of T~~~~~ , Directors , gets its act together.
    This vacuum of no information on the Manager's position etc. is just plain self destructive.
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Why would Adkins come to us, dropping down a division. Our ambitions, if they are beyond Parkinson are going to have to face the overwhelming impression that we are a club that has not got a clue from top to bottom. Adkins can do better than us,why not wait around for Boro to make a poor start to the season, Southgate to leave and Gibson to come running to Adkins.

because people like Gibson would go running to Curbishley or Ranieri etc etc first.
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]Why would Adkins come to us!! He just got promoted to the Champ, and we just got relegated to league whatever the feck it is!!

For the same reason that Simon Grayson left Blackpool to drop a league and manage Leeds. Bigger club, bigger support, bigger job.

exactly.
  • edited May 2009
    Adkins success is all the more remarkable given the fact that in recent seasons he has had to sell the likes of Martin Patterson to Burnley for £1m, Andy Keogh to Wolves for £600,000 and Billy Sharp to Sheffield United for £2m. By comparison he's spent pennies on players which rather makes the exploits of Messrs Dowie and Pardew somewhat shameful.

We should have moved for Adkins as soon as we sacked Pardew as we might just still be playing Championship football if we had. It's not too late but we will have to sell the job to him and make it a more attractive proposition by way of the potential CAFC offers. Really not sure how we do that given that our current financial state.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Why would Adkins come to us, dropping down a division. Our ambitions, if they are beyond Parkinson are going to have to face the overwhelming impression that we are a club that has not got a clue from top to bottom. Adkins can do better than us,why not wait around for Boro to make a poor start to the season, Southgate to leave and Gibson to come running to Adkins.[/quote]

because people like Gibson would go running to Curbishley or Ranieri etc etc first.

[quote][cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]Why would Adkins come to us!! He just got promoted to the Champ, and we just got relegated to league whatever the feck it is!![/quote]

For the same reason that Simon Grayson left Blackpool to drop a league and manage Leeds. Bigger club, bigger support, bigger job.[/quote]

exactly.[/quote]

But Leeds have a stable base,finally and a reasonable squad. You are deluding yourself if you think we would be anywhere near Adkins radar. We have spent 3 years in chaos, driven by our board and at the moment we continue to be in free fall without rhym nor reason. If we are high on Adkins's list then I don't won't him,cause he would obviously be a deluded nut job to give up the security he has for us.