Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Carl Jenkinson _ Charlton Youth Team to Man U

A report in The People this morning, suggests that Sir Alex Ferguson will add to his burgeoning squad of young players with the signing of Charlton Athletic defender Carl Jenkinson.

The 17-year-old is believed to be worth around £500,000, with Charlton in need of the funds after they were relegated from the Championship to League One.

Jenkinson, who has recovered from a serious knee injury, is a centre back by trade but can also play on the right hand side.

According to the official Charlton Athletic website, "Jenkinson likes to get forward with the ball" and "the Football Association is continuing to monitor" his progress after a serious injury.

I offer no opinion as I've never seen him play.

Comments

• Options
    Never seem him play, but he was called up for the England under 17 squad last season, don't know if he played or not. Personally I would like to see him stay at Charlton, I know we are short of cash but think it's time to hang on to our younger players and maybe we can move forward with them.
  • Options
    I think with the general economic climate and the uncertainty about the prospects for a 17 yo,if this were true then I would take the £500k and use it on an established player who can get us out of this league.
  • Options
    So first they were linked with McGinty, now Jenkinson?

I've seen him once, when we lost to Spurs in the youth cup. Played centre back, not as physical as Mambo, but more comfortable on the ball. Run with the ball out of defence a couple of times.

Looked more like a right back to me, I think that's where he'll break through at whatever level he's playing.

He's another decent player coming through, if he stays, we might not see him make much impact at first team level for a while, but I do feel it's again showing we have improved the quality we have at youth team level. They might not all play for us, but they should have decent careers, even if it's just at League Two or Conference level. If you look over the old handbooks from 6-8 years ago, most of the youth team players in there don't appear to be in football any more. If they are, it's at a very low level.
  • Options
    Did you know in the West Ham game, when we won 4-2, in 2003 we had 8 youth players on the pitch.

Half of them were playing for the oppo, but still.
  • Options
    A Sale and Loan back would do us good!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]I think with the general economic climate and the uncertainty about the prospects for a 17 yo,if this were true then I would take the £500k and use it on an established player who can get us out of this league.[/quote]

as Kap says a 17 yr old is potential. As long as any deal had sufficient clauses for future success the maybe it is a case of needs must. He wouldn't be in contention for us next season whereas 500k could buy us a player to make a immediate difference. I'm not in general happy to sell off our youngsters but beggers can't be choosers.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]I think with the general economic climate and the uncertainty about the prospects for a 17 yo,if this were true then I would take the £500k and use it on an established player who can get us out of this league.

Bye bye Jonjo too right? ;o)
  • Options
    £500,000 for a player I never knew we had is a pleasant surpise, though that sum for a 17 year old suggests that he has enormous potential.

Would he ever make the same impact as Shelvey? If not, would be happy to take the money and for someone other than parky to identify a good signing.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: c4fcdenmark[/cite]£500,000 for a player I never knew we had is a pleasant surpise, though that sum for a 17 year old suggests that he has enormous potential.

Would he ever make the same impact as Shelvey? If not, would be happy to take the money and for someone other than parky to identify a good signing.

I can't see Man U paying that kind of money for a player who isn't on a pro-contract and who apparently has just recovered from a serious knee-injury. If he goes to Man U it'll be for a lot less with the usual add-ons.
  • Options
    He's not another Shelvey no, I' d say he's another we'd like to hang onto as he could become a first team player one day, without being a big star.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We would get "compensation" for selling a player under 23, whether he was under conract or not. However, if Manyoo wave a contract at a 17 year old, there's no chance he would ever sign a contract at Charlton. For that reason, my view would be: take the money.

If we can screw half-a-million for a player who will not become part of Charlton's first team for the next couple of years, that's a great deal. And, if it makes it less likely that we have to get rid of a first-teamer, even better.

Would Zheng Zhi stay at Charlton for a couple more years for half-a-mill?
  • Options
    Unless the new Chinese investors actually complete the takeover - there's no chance ZZ will stay.
  • Options
    Begs the q if Fergie thinks he's good enough how comes he's not been in any 1st team squads, i'm assuming he hasn't, and at 17 shouldn't he be knocking on 1st team door at this level
  • Options
    Its difficult for central defenders to come into the 1st team, at 17 it is very unusual for them to have the body mass to hold off big fat ugly hairy div 3 forwards. The only 17 yo that comes to mind as having an adult physique is JJ.
  • Options
    Good point, Kap.

Must 17 year old's are pretty skinny.
    But even the big lumps like Rambo Mambo are evidently not quite ready.

Players like Miichael Turner weren't either, at that age.
    But look at Turner now.
  • Options
    He looked outstanding against Chelsea, but in the FA YOUTH Cup. Excellent reader of the game, and comfortable with the ball. Great point about Mambo - he's big and strong enough but hardly ready for the first team just yet. Not sure what the rush is - isn't it better to let these boys get some experience on loan, gradually moving up to play against physically stronger opposition?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Paddy7[/cite]Not sure what the rush is - isn't it better to let these boys get some experience on loan, gradually moving up to play against physically stronger opposition?

Exactly.

And that's what Parky has been doing with the highly rated youth team players.
    Especially as there's no competitive reserve team for them to step up to.
  • Options
    Has mcginty featured in any reserve games for man u yet ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]Begs the q if Fergie thinks he's good enough how comes he's not been in any 1st team squads, i'm assuming he hasn't, and at 17 shouldn't he be knocking on 1st team door at this level
    This is an old thread, he was linked with Man Utd in May last year.

Promising player but just how good we'll have to wait and see. As ledge said he reads the game and is comfortable on the ball, rather than being big and strong. Only seen him once I think, but looked more like a right back to me.

He's still young, I expect he'll get at least a years pro contract. A loan will do him good, as I said he's promising, but most 17/18 year olds aren't ready for first team football. Wagstaff made his debut at 18 and it turned out he was probably thrown in too soon.

There's also probably more harm throwing in a young defender than a striker (e.g. Tuna in the Carling Cup), if he gives away a goal it could ruin his confidence. That's what happened to Wagstaff and it took a while for him to get it back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Carl Jenkinson in strong increases in the Ukraine resulted in a headache

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=fi&u=http://www.palloliitto.fi/viestinta/&ei=XrJFS-mqF6OI0wS5m63wAQ&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CA0Q7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dwww.palloliitto.fi/viestinta/%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26hs%3Dbnp%26sa%3DX
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Link doesn't seem to work. Go to home and "under 18 Finland's Sprinter was not enough" for report of Carl Jenkinson playing for Finland
  • Options
    http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=35426&newstype=y

More easily digestible version from the OS
  • Options
    Good stuff. Really looked the part in the youth cup. Read the game well, got up and down and could even beat a man. Hard to say whether he'll be better suited to CB or RB in the long run. I think the fact that Cousins is better suited to RB at the moment has pushed him into the middle and with Solly holding that spot in the reserves it might be the same story when he takes his next step.
  • Options
    Does CJ speak Finnish anyone know?

Also does TT play for Turkish U18s?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]Does CJ speak Finnish anyone know?

Also does TT play for Turkish U18s?
    I was wondering that.

As for Tuna I know he can't speak Turkish (well maybe he can a bit now?). He has played with the Turkish u19 team.
  • Options
    i was thinking, isn't tuna at a higher level then u18 for turkey. thought was under 20 last? maybe wrong though

Think this thread needs to change the titled aswell, bit outdated now
  • Options
    He's only a second year for us, so 17/18. Hopefully he'll move onto the u20s or whatever the next age group up is over the next couple of years.
  • Options
    confused doers he still play for us as the title says he is man yoos
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]confused doers he still play for us as the title says he is man yoos

Still ours. old thread.