Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Just Found Charlton - Millwall Programme 66-67 Season

edited May 2009 in General Charlton
Great reading ,31st December 1966 was the first meeting between the clubs for 32 years at The Valley.

An interesting editorial included ''Today, Charlton supporters must see to it they are not out-shouted, and no matter what happens out there on the pitch rest assured the players really appreciate your vocal encouragement'.

Comments

• I was at that game, 0-0 draw and a gate of 29,000, if I remember correctly
  • I was there Nels.
  • edited May 2009
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Big in Brasov[/cite]I was at that game, 0-0 draw and a gate of 29,000, if I remember correctly[/quote]
    Correct it was we had drawn down there (at the Den) earlier in the season . The previous season they had been promoted from Div 3 along with Hull City who were Champions.
    Some good old names playing.
    CAFC Wright Bonds Kinsey Reeves King Appleton Myers Peacock Saunders Campbell Glover sub Gregory
    MFC Leslie Gilchrist Cripps Jones SNowdon Wilson Broadfoot Hunt Julians Dunphy Neil sub Brown
    They played in Blue and White stripes as I recall
  • That's right both games finished 0-0, and the tension was measurable in the crowd.
    Millwall were the true rivals ..... and everybody knew it !

Len Julians up front for Millwall could be lethal if you gave him half a chance.
    And of course, Millwall leg ends 'Arry Cripps and ex-Busby Babe Eamon Dunphy both signed for Charlton in their twilight years

Millwall manager was Benny Fenton, who back in the early 50's had been a mercurial and entertaining midfielder for Charlton - so my Dad told me, in case you think I can remember games that far back, lol

You're right Nelse, Millwall did play in their Blue & White stripes, the next year they played in Royal Blue shirts, white shorts.
    And the year after that, played in Lily White, trying to ape Leeds United.

Charlton players many people on here possibly haven't really heard of:
    Colin Appleton, midfielder, had huge sticking out ears - taxi doors we called them.
    Ian King, was a rugged centre half, who sported what was called in those days a 'crew cut', American naval style haircut.
    Both King and Appleton played for years in the top league for Leicester, but both were around 30 by the time we signed them.

Cliff Myers was a promising young winger/forward who didn't really establish himself at Charlton, and ended up playing for then non-league Yeovil

Note legendary ex-Villa manager Ron Saunders, at centre forward for Charlton.