Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Am I alone in being

thoroughly cheesed off with the media so blatantly wanting Newcastle to stay up and Hull to go down?

Why does a wannabe big club have any more right to stay up than "plucky little Charlton" and others of that ilk ie Hull?

I really hope Hull stay up!

Comments

• Would rather Boro stayed up and they both went down but I agree.

The media would prefer a "big team" like Newcastle to stay up, understandably perhaps, but I suspect that many fans of other clubs would enjoy seeing them go down.
  • This is just like when Everton had to beat wimbledon to avoid relegation, were 2-0 down then scored 3 weak goals. Newcastle although noxious are part of the footballing elite and it will not surpirise me to see them steam roller Villa on Saturday
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]This is just like when Everton had to beat wimbledon to avoid relegation, were 2-0 down then scored 3 weak goals. Newcastle although noxious are part of the footballing elite and it will not surpirise me to see them steam roller Villa on Saturday

Bobby Stuart's finest hour I believe.

Agree with everything Len say's though. Personally I've always had a lot of time for Geordies, because of my oldest mate, but recently find myself more and more wanting to see them fall flat on their 'arris. Then there's the Shearer/Dowie factor!!!
  • I read an article where Kevin Nolan was saying Newcastle deserve to be in the Premier League.
    Sorry Kev, on what basis?
    Play shit for a season, you deserve to go down, as does anyone else. End of story!

Newcastle have a seriously over-inflated sense of self importance, so I'll take Hull over Newcastle on this one!
  • Couldn't give a f*** about either of them either way.
  • I'd rather Middlesborough went down. They are the most anonymous dull side in the Premier League.
  • i think Hull should stay up and both borough and Newcastle should go down.

I hate borough - dont know why and i'd just love to see Newcastle go down
  • I hope Sunderland stay up.
  • Will be unbearable if they stay up, they'll be hailing Shearer as the new Messiah
  • Article in the sun today where they're interviewing 3 old Boro, Sunderland and Newcastle players. The Newcastle guy was saying that this is so unexpected for Newcastle that their players haven't got relegation clauses so they could have players in the Championship (assuming they'd want to stay) earning 70k a week. They will be seriously f*cked if they go down
  • Sponsored links:

• As Chris suggests, i desperately want Newcastle to fall, and Boro. Nothing against Boro, but i believe they have maintained what they have by going hugely into debt.

Football needs not just the odd one, but quite a few big clubs to get in serious trouble before the game gets forced into sorting out the ridiculous financial imbalances.
  • Not bothered who gets relegated......I suppose Boro have flirted with it a bit more often than most. Hull were I think top 5 coming in to Xmas....seems they got found out doesnt it. Agree with Young Dan though.....some big names need to fall to get some financial perspective back in order.
  • Agreed entirely AFKA. And seeing Shearer fail won't entirely displease me either.
  • Newcastle and Boro for me, seeing them Geordies on Sunday crying will be fooking hilarious..
  • Could someone explain the anti-Shearer sentiment? Whilst I am not actively pro-Shearer, I am surprised / confused by the comments on here wanting him to fail.
  • I just thought he was a dick of a player. From the Neil lennon boot in the head which he got off scot free from to everytime we played him he would be a annoying, elbowing little get.

Until Super Johnny Fortune got him sent off.
  • [cite]Posted By: Cipollini[/cite]Could someone explain the anti-Shearer sentiment? Whilst I am not actively pro-Shearer, I am surprised / confused by the comments on here wanting him to fail.

For myself it is more about the cult of Shearer whipped up by the press and lapped up by the Newcastle fans rather than the man himself. The whole Messiah thing. Plus there is Dowie.
  • [cite]Posted By: Cipollini[/cite]Could someone explain the anti-Shearer sentiment? Whilst I am not actively pro-Shearer, I am surprised / confused by the comments on here wanting him to fail.

dirty player and his arrogant 'know it all' appearances on match of the day annoy most people
  • edited May 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Cipollini[/cite]Could someone explain the anti-Shearer sentiment? Whilst I am not actively pro-Shearer, I am surprised / confused by the comments on here wanting him to fail.

It didn't help that he stuck 2 fingers up to the Charlton fans at St James's in an evening FA Cup tie about 10 years ago.

Oh and when he elbowed John Fortune at The Valley. What me guv ? The Prem League? overturned that one as well, just because it was Super Al.
  • Sponsored links:

• I so want Newcastle to get relegated and Hull as think Brown started to give it the big I AM, and has come unstuck and I cant stand the hot bed of football, most loyal fans etc etc crap that is spouted about Newcastle.
    I too am not a fan of Shearer- think he got away with things on the pitch because of who he was - as he is the new messiah like King Kev, but I did stand and applaud at St James's when he scored his 200th (?) Prem goal against us.
  • [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]I so want Newcastle to get relegated and Hull as think Brown started to give it the big I AM, and has come unstuck and I cant stand the hot bed of football, most loyal fans etc etc crap that is spouted about Newcastle.
    I too am not a fan of Shearer- think he got away with things on the pitch because of who he was - as he is the new messiah like King Kev, but I did stand and applaud at St James's when he scored his 200th (?) Prem goal against us.

Christ I know our defence was bad, but did he really score 200 against us?
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]I just thought he was a dick of a player. From the Neil lennon boot in the head which he got off scot free from to everytime we played him he would be a annoying, elbowing little get.

What are you on about?!!?

Lennon should have been put on a charge for headbutting the England captains foot!
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]elbowing little get.

Only problem was the elbow in that game WAS an accident you saw how one or two of ours stuck up for him!
  • [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]elbowing little get.

Only problem was the elbow in that gameWASan accident you saw how one or two of ours stuck up for him!

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story !
  • Hope Hull stay up but dont really care too much
  • Even if Hull do stay up I can see them getting relegated next season by a country mile.
  • Newcastle will stay up, not that I want them to. They'll get away with it somehow. Shearer and whoever scores the goal that keeps them up will be declared heroes.
  • What odds on Shearer back on MOTD next season ?

Just seen Phil B on SkySportsNews.
    Jeez, does he live under a sun-bed ?
  • I think too that Newcastle will cheat the drop by the skin of their teeth, unfortunately.

The club has been badly administered and managed - plus their whole raft of underperforming, overpaid players.
    (hope that comment doesn't strike too close to home!)

I don't begrudge the Hull supporters their day in the sun, it's their first season and the Lord knows they've waited long enough for the glory days. Boro have had theirs, so maybe their time has come for them to 'do a Charlton'.

But Newcastle do seem to be ripe for a dose of reality - and if they do snatch escape from relegation, it will seem unjust.