Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The SPL - Final day on Sunday.

Yet again the boring 2 horse pub league title race goes to the last day of the season. Celtic have been leading for most of the season but Rangers have taken the lead at the most critical point. Only 2 points separate the 2 teams with Celtic hosting 3rd place Hearts and Rangers traveling to 4th place Dundee Utd!

Whereas the most exciting league in the world has again been sown up early. Has the premiership gone to the last day of the season this decade? The only decent premiership title race I can remember is when Blackburn won it at Anfield.

If all goes to plan Rangers will end Celtic's mini-streak and get in to the group stage of the Champions League. Surely they can't blow it again?

With St. Johnstone winning div 1 this will make a great Scottish double for me and be some sort of compromise for Charlton. C'mon the bears, don't let us down again! We are the people!

For the gers fans out there, feast your eyes on these pictures of Ibrox.

Comments

• We may not have had a decent title race in the last decade but has Scotland had a half decent club team, playing anything other than 2nd rate football, since the Lisbon Lions in 1967?
  • [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]We may not have had a decent title race in the last decade but has Scotland had a half decent club team, playing anything other than 2nd rate football, since the Lisbon Lions in 1967?
    Yes they have, despite having a population only 1/10th the size of England. Have a look at the history of the Cup Winners Cup and the UEFA cup.

Have any of the Great English sides been managed by an English man and have had a team full of English players?
  • Almost as good as watching replays of the play-off final and with a team of players all born within 30 miles of Glasgow.

The Lisbon Lions
  • DA9DA9
    edited May 2009
    Nice one FOD, unfortunately I am laying a patio this weekend so will only be able to catch glimpses.

WE WELCOME THE CHASE
  • go here

they discuss how glasgow is twinned with orpington
  • [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]Almost as good as watching replays of the play-off final and with a team of players all born within 30 miles of Glasgow.

The Lisbon Lions
    An amazing feat never to be matched.
  • Up the Gers
  • [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]Yet again theboring 2 horse pub leaguetitle race goes to the last day of the season. Celtic have been leading for most of the season but Rangers have taken the lead at the most critical point. Only 2 points separate the 2 teams with Celtic hosting 3rd place Hearts and Rangers traveling to 4th place Dundee Utd!

Whereas the most exciting league in the world has again been sown up early. Has the premiership gone to the last day of the season this decade?

The premiership title race went to the last day last season.
    Granted there isn't a tight finish every season like there seemingly is in Scotland but for excitement the quality of football isn't even comparable. Most SPL sides contain players who'd struggle to make it at a top half English championship club.
  • Also in '99 it was last day with Man Utd/Arsenal.

At least we've had 3 different winners in the last decade.... as a Hibs sympathiser, it's dull!
  • laying a patio will be slightly more interesting!
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: North Lower Neil[/cite]Also in '99 it was last day with Man Utd/Arsenal.

At least we've had 3 different winners in the last decade.... as a Hibs sympathiser, it's dull!
    There was nearly a decade with only 1 winner. :-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: North Lower Neil[/cite]Also in '99 it was last day with Man Utd/Arsenal.

There was nearly a decade with only 1 winner. :-)

There was another decade with the other winner. ;-0)
  • [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]We may not have had a decent title race in the last decade but has Scotland had a half decent club team, playing anything other than 2nd rate football, since the Lisbon Lions in 1967?

Up until a few years ago (from the Walter Smith to mid way through the McLeish reign's) there were quality players in both sides (Rangers had Gattuson, Artetta, De Boer, Gough etc..and Celtic had, uh, Larsson) but after Sky pulled out and left a massive hole in the coffers the quality has definately gone down hill, but as both teams are pretty equal in resources there will always be a competitive edge that you don't really find in England - especially considering the Premierl League here has twice as many teams but only half as many realistic winners recentley. The final Sunday of the season is always great and I'd invite anyone up for it to join us in the Cock Tavern in Farringdon and toast Rangers first title for four years !!!
  • Also

The Forresters in Kent will have it on

Trying to get there but sure Mrs has other plans and after last time not happy about me thinking of even going LOL
  • Not wishing to open old controversies and arguments but why are Charlton fans in the slightest bit interested in either Celtic or Rangers?

I always nominate Berwick Rangers as my Scottish team because they are in England!
  • [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]We may not have had a decent title race in the last decade but has Scotland had a half decent club team, playing anything other than 2nd rate football, since the Lisbon Lions in 1967?

Up until a few years ago (from the Walter Smith to mid way through the McLeish reign's) there were quality players in both sides (Rangers had Gattuson, Artetta, De Boer, Gough etc..and Celtic had, uh, Larsson) but after Sky pulled out and left a massive hole in the coffers the quality has definately gone down hill, but as both teams are pretty equal in resources there will always be a competitive edge that you don't really find in England - especially considering the Premierl League here has twice as many teams but only half as many realistic winners recentley. The final Sunday of the season is always great and I'd invite anyone up for it to join us in the Cock Tavern in Farringdon and toast Rangers first title for four years !!!

How can you possibly say there's no competitive edge in the EPL? Do you watch Liverpool v Man Utd games? There was also a 4-4 at Chelsea v Liverpool, Liverpool v Arsenal, and Arsenal v Spurs. All ggreat games, how many great games does the SPL ahve everyseason?
    Villa and Everton are good sides, Man City will only get better. I also read that Man Utd didn't win away to any of the other top 7 clubs this season, you won't ever say the same in Scotland.
  • Meant in terms of teams winning it, not the games during the season or the quality of the teams. Obviously the teams are far and away superior in England and there are some cracking games but really this year there has only been one, maybe two teams that could win it, and previous years are much the same. People talk about a big four but has there ever been a time when all four were going for the title at the end of the season (that's a genuine question - I can't remember !!). But in no way am I saying that the SPL is better in terms of quality than england - it's just exciting that's all !!
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Not wishing to open old controversies and arguments but why are Charlton fans in the slightest bit interested in either Celtic or Rangers?

I always nominate Berwick Rangers as my Scottish team because they are in England![/quote]

Because we are
  • They might as well just let the other 8 SPL sides play the whole season to decide who finishes 3rd to 10th, then on the last 2 weekends Rangers and Celtic play home and away against each other to decide who wins the title.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]They might as well just let the other 8 SPL sides play the whole season to decide who finishes 3rd to 10th, then on the last 2 weekends Rangers and Celtic play home and away against each other to decide who wins the title.

In 2005/6, Rangers finished third in a two horse race.
  • Sponsored links:

• Forget all the big clubs, Partick Thistle rule!!!
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]They might as well just let the other 8 SPL sides play the whole season to decide who finishes 3rd to 10th, then on the last 2 weekends Rangers and Celtic play home and away against each other to decide who wins the title.
    You may as well not bother with world cup qualifiers...
  • [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]They might as well just let the other 8 SPL sides play the whole season to decide who finishes 3rd to 10th, then on the last 2 weekends Rangers and Celtic play home and away against each other to decide who wins the title.
    You may as well not bother with world cup qualifiers...

They may as well not bother with League One next season and just give it to the Addicks...
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Not wishing to open old controversies and arguments but why are Charlton fans in the slightest bit interested in either Celtic or Rangers?

I always nominate Berwick Rangers as my Scottish team because they are in England![/quote]

Im with you on this one len, I was lucky enough to get in a "box" for a scots cup game against Arbroath, at halftime I walked out to get a bovril and pie and was accosted by loads of Berwick fans asking if I was a new investor. I was the talk of their message boards for about a week!
  • Quite possible the greatest prank ever!!

20 minutes in to the match the Rangers fans text people everyone they know at parkhead that Dundee UTD are winning!
  • I saw this earlier - the best bit is Hartley's cheeky smile to the ref when he thinks their on course for the title. Gotcha !!
  • I like Rangers because some of my friends are Scottish & most support Rangers nothing political religious or anything like that.
  • Celtic did a similar prank when they told Rangers fans that they could become members of Dundee Utd and therefore get tickets at Tannadice if they brought Dundee Utd socks. Dundee Utd ran out of socks and Rangers didn't get anymore tickets!

[cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]I like Rangers because some of my friends are Scottish & most support Rangers nothing political religious or anything like that.
    Same here, I also have an uncle who I didn't like that supports Celtic. Not that I or anyone else, Rangers or Celtic, should have to justify themselves.
  • You should come to the Cock Tavern to watch Rangers games (especially the big ones) there are loads of English guys there who follow the 'Gers. No explinations needed and trust me, after 5-10 mins you'll feel like part of the family !!!
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]You should come to the Cock Tavern to watch Rangers games (especially the big ones) there are loads of English guys there who follow the 'Gers. No explinations needed and trust me, after 5-10 mins you'll feel like part of the family !!![/quote]

agreed