Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sky Sports News - Championship Page

edited May 2009 in General Charlton
Just visited the Sky Sports Championship page (from next week I will have to look at the League 1 page!) as part of my daily ritual of searching for any news on Charlton and I could'nt help noticing that every single club has 2 links to current news stories about potential transfers, player releases, injuries, boardroom changes etc. The 2 links under Charlton's name are to stories that are not about Charlton at all. One is Peter Beagrie' dream Championship team and one is a roundup of the final day in the Championship.

Now I am not sure how it works but I reckon a junior reporter at Sky has the task of phoning the PR departments at all the Championship clubs every 3 or 4 days and getting at least two fairly current news stories no matter how mundane in order to keep this page relatively fresh. So when he rings Charlton either no one answers the phone or someone has placed a 100% news blackout.

Comments

• Options
    Same on the BBC web site Red,

All the other clubs change on a daily basis but the story under Charlton is still the same as it has been for the last two weeks, i.e. Parky being uncertain about his future.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]
    Now I am not sure how it works but I reckon a junior reporter at Sky has the task of phoning the PR departments at all the Championship clubs every 3 or 4 days and getting at least two fairly current news stories no matter how mundane in order to keep this page relatively fresh.

Doubt they would go to those lengths to be honest. I'd expect the vast bulk of it just to be scanning official websites, popular fan sites and local newspaper sites
  • Options
    I think it is more likely that the said junior reporter trawls the Club and other websites and that s/he is subscribed to the CAFC daily bulletin.

Sorry, but slightly insulting to the guys in the press team to say that they aren't professional enough to even answer the phone to the press.

As for 100% news blackouts there are stories on the OS and in the bulletin. May not be the stories we would most like to read or that interest us most but still stories.

I'd guess the Comms team would much rather be telling us about signings and other dramatic stories but they can only work with what they have.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I think it is more likely that the said junior reporter trawls the Club and other websites and that s/he is subscribed to the CAFC daily bulletin.

Sorry, but slightly insulting to the guys in the press team to say that they aren't professional enough to even answer the phone to the press.

As for 100% news blackouts there are stories on the OS and in the bulletin. May not be the stories we would most like to read or that interest us most but still stories.

I'd guess the Comms team would much rather be telling us about signings and other dramatic stories but they can only work with what they have.

Henry, the post was meant to be a humourous observation about the lack of news compared to other clubs. I am sorry that you inferred an insult to the people working in the press or comms team.
  • Options
    There is no news because we have to get rid be4 we get in and no doubt our playing staff are having a well earned holiday in Bermuda , well away from looking at where they have dumped our club and well away from hearing seeing that people at the club have lost their jobs. When they are back in the UK no doubt we will see some movement out.

The other thing that may be about(i dont think it is) if someone is going for a take over then players form part of the asset of the club and therefore could not be "traded" while things are in flux.

Of course the other thing could be we are truely shit and now dont have enough people to undertake the basic functions of the club. People should not expect a Prem and Chumps league service now we are Div 1. Some of us remember the last time we were at this level the club used to get fans to paint parts of the ground (unpaid of course)
  • Options
    Henry you don't work for the club anymore so grow up.
  • Options
    It's not even a Jr reporter, it'll just be an RSS feed with anything with Charlton that pings up and is posted, most of it will be totally automated.

No news = no new stories on the site
  • Options
    Perhaps it's Steve Sutherland's 'phone ringing in a deserted, dusty, cobwebbed office!