Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Guardian today

edited May 2009 in General Charlton
today's selection of you tube sports clips :-)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2009/may/21/youtube-sport-clips

Comments

• Options
    It never gets tiresome does it. I love it.
  • Options
    Fantastic day, put this club firmly on the modern map of football. One of the reasons why we are still seen as a reasonably big club (on a temporary downer). Lets hope that we can summon the spirit of those times for the battles ahead. Sir Clive Mendonca we love you.
  • Options
    God you realise what shxt strikers we have had in recent years, when you watch that. Even Bent for me does not beat Mendonca or Andy hunt.
  • Options
    It does however shine a very bright light on how far we have crumbled in so little time.
  • Options
    Tingling legs watching that again.
  • Options
    wonderful day one of the best days singing our version of cheer up peter reid in the pub before the game full of Sunderland fans
  • Options
    Lump in throat every time.

Couple of things (that have probably been mentioned before) but:

1) Steve Brown's tackle in the build up to Clive's third goal would be a free kick nowadays. He would probably get a booking today too (or worse).
    2) I'd forgotten what a pivotal role Steve Jones played. He led the break out for Clive's second goal and set him up for his third.
  • Options
    Never ever tire of watching that......Kinsella and Mendonca are 2 of my all time heros
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]

1) Steve Brown's tackle in the build up to Clive's third goal would be a free kick nowadays. He would probably get a booking today too (or worse).

That is exactly the thought that came into my head as i watched that back just now! Weird.
  • Options
    It's still exciting watching it now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great memories, still think the semi-final was the most elated ive ever been watching charlton though. will always be fond of sunderland for how gracious they were in defeat aswell, great fans.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    What a f****** day that was eh?
    [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]Lump in throat every time.

Couple of things (that have probably been mentioned before) but:

2) I'd forgotten what a pivotal role Steve Jones played. He led the break out for Clive's second goal and set him up for his third.

Well said Valley11. Jones' run and cross well late into the game was awesome. But come on how coolly did Super Clive take each one of his goals?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BrightonAddick[/cite]Great memories, still think the semi-final was the most elated ive ever been watching charlton though. will always be fond of sunderland for how gracious they were in defeat aswell, great fans.

Absolutely.
  • Options
    I can't bear to watch it just now - makes me too sad about what's happened since...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]I can't bear to watch it just now - makes me too sad about what's happened since...

has the oposite effect on me i love the history of it and gets me dreaming of the future
  • Options
    Even on a round up/clip show they could'nt get all the goals in..................good old sasca illic (or how ever ya spell it) we will soon have all that to look forward to again, bring it on.............roll up roll up!!!

YIPPY-I-A
    YIPPY-I-O ;-)
  • Options
    bought a tear to my eyes, I dont mind admitting.
  • Options
    I've never noticed it before but as the team walk out, Sassa covers his ears as he walks past the fireworks!

One special day that I will always remember.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: BrightonAddick[/cite]Great memories, still think the semi-final was the most elated ive ever been watching charlton though. will always be fond of sunderland for how gracious they were in defeat aswell, great fans.[/quote]

The vast majority of Sunderland fans were fantastic but I do recall a small group chanting at my brother and I (when we arrived at 11 o'clock barely any other addicks around) on Wembley Way -"Mickey Mouse club" over and over as we passed, I recall seeing the same bunch on the way home(what are the odds on that?!) waiting for their coach and I have to say I couldn't resist making my point! But in all fairness most Sunderland fan's were the epitomy of decency and thoroughly sporting as befits their fine club. I hope they stay up on Sunday.
  • Options
    I remember being on the tube train coming back from Wembley, and there was a sad bunch of Sunderland fans opposite.

They said it was a fantastic game, and wished us good luck in the Prem.
    Wanted to shake hands.

Proper football people. Respect.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's been said before, but wasn't Mendonca class in that game?

Composed, focused ..... just quality.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]It's been said before, but wasn't Mendonca class in that game?

Composed, focused ..... just quality.
    And a little bit angry with some of the Sunderland fans I think which gave him an extra edge.