Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

I am going to write.....

edited December 2006 in General Charlton
an open letter to the players. I will post it up here, if others are happy with it, it can go under the banner of this site, i will forward to Henry and hopefully he can forward on to the right party. If others disagree, it can be amended, or shelved.

I personally think this might be a better way to get a collective opinion accross rather than in person where things don't normally go to plan and sometimes things can be worded wrongly in the heat of the moment.

Comments

• Options
    Dear First Team Squad,

Pull your fecking fingers out.

Love

Charlton Life.
  • Options
    Will do
  • Options
    Nice idea Smudge
  • Options
    Can you do one to the board asking for the real reason why dowie was sacked. We want details!
  • Options
    Yep AFKA...do it, the players need to know how we feel as fans.
  • Options
    I think they know but do they care?
  • Options
    I would guess that Dowie and the Board have a confidentiality clause in his termination agreement so even if they wanted to they won't tell us.

AFKA that's a great idea, whilst a handpicked group of fans meeting the players is a lovely idea and is worth pursuing I doubt the club will allow it, however I can't see how they can object to a letter although I do wonder if some of the player care what we think, but if we can get through to some of them it can only help.
  • Options
    Dear First Team Squad,

As fans we can accept defeat providing we feel that our team has played as well as it can and the players have given their all in the cause.

One particular player did not have a good game on Saturday but he had the commitment to put himself up for selection when not fully fit. If every player in the squad showed that sort of attitude rather than standing around gesticulating at others whilst doing nothing themselves then we may be doing rather better than at present.

All we are really saying is that Charlton Athletic is a large part of our lives and will remain so after you all leave the Club. We have fought long and hard to get back to The Valley, redevelop it and at the same time establish ourselves in the Premiership.

That information may make you appreciate how frustrating it is to watch a team of extremely well paid players appear to have little or no regard for either their performance or the result whilst throwing away the hard work of the last 15 years.

If you want to know what Charlton is about speak to your new coach, Mark Kinsella. That man as a player exemplified everything we have tried to say in this letter.
  • Options
    Len,

As much as I admire your defending of Faye, he has been shocking both in ability and desire since August. I wouldnt waste pen ink on him.
  • Options
    I think this is the first time we had big egos' in the squad, that could be one of the problems.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2006
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]Len,

As much as I admire your defending of Faye, he has been shocking both in ability and desire since August. I wouldnt waste pen ink on him.

I was actually referring to Reid this time although the same is true of Faye.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    This was taken from the Guardian last September:-

http://football.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,9753,1551650,00.html
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: lancashire lad[/cite]I would guess that Dowie and the Board have a confidentiality clause in his termination agreement so even if they wanted to they won't tell us.

spot on
  • Options
    Why? We pay the wages!
  • Options
    Reid, Young and Faye all carrying knocks? Personally wouldn't put Faye in there though, he's had enough chances..
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ns_eb_rj_s?[/cite]Why? We pay the wages!

We pay part of them, Sky pay the majority though.

That might change next year :-)
  • Options
    "Personally wouldn't put Faye in there though, he's had enough chances"

Faye brings nothing to the team!
  • Options
    Was Faye injured, if not he soon will be.....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ns_eb_rj_s?[/cite]Why? We pay the wages!

So if I buy products or services from the company you work for I'm entitled to know why you were sacked "cos I pay your wages"

Football comes under the same employment law as any other sector. Just cos we are fans not customers doesn't alter that
  • Options
    So basicly you buy the season ticket, merchandise, food etc. But when something goes tits up, they cant tell you the reasons?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Unfortunately our season tickets do not come with a warranty!
  • Options
    Are you really telling them anything they do't already know? Football isn't a career you just fall into, they will almost all have had (or still have) a team they are passionate about so they know we are passionate. But they truth is they earn a lot of money and it is just a job, if we go down they go somewhere else. I don't think you can ever really transfere your passion onto someone else.

I know thats negative but I just cant see what it would do other than sound very patronising.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ns_eb_rj_s?[/cite]So basicly you buy the season ticket, merchandise, food etc. But when something goes tits up, they cant tell you the reasons?

Do you tell your customers everything about your company? Especially when somethings gone very wrong.
  • Options
    I dont have any expectations from charlton, if I did, I would have got rid of the season ticket years ago.
  • Options
    Come on this is different! This is one of most important things in people lives, a little info wouldnt go a miss.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ns_eb_rj_s?[/cite]Come on this is different! This is one of most important things in people lives, a little info wouldnt go a miss.

Different to you and to me emotionally certainly. Different in law not at all.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ns_eb_rj_s?[/cite]Come on this is different! This is one of most important things in people lives, a little info wouldnt go a miss.

Does it actually make a lot of difference though, what would change if you knew?
  • Options
    I reckon the press would get hold of it and have a field day, the sentiment is fare the but the result might not be favourable, and is that really what we want?

We should batton down the hatches, and do our best to support the team.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Centenary_Shirt[/cite]Are you really telling them anything they do't already know? Football isn't a career you just fall into, they will almost all have had (or still have) a team they are passionate about so they know we are passionate. But they truth is they earn a lot of money and it is just a job, if we go down they go somewhere else. I don't think you can ever really transfere your passion onto someone else.

I know thats negative but I just cant see what it would do other than sound very patronising.

Unfortunately, you're spot on CS.
  • Options
    yes good point razil. Im sure a mate of simon jordan works for the Mirror so he would love this story and run headlines "fans backlash to the underperformers"... just all add to the cringe factor im feeling at the moment.