Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

News of the World article

edited December 2006 in General Charlton
Did anyone read this yesterday? It said something along the lines that Reed has the lost the dressing room and that the players dont want to play for him (thats obvious) etc etc... and that there's no respect there. even the youth team nicked his tie and were caught wearing it? Its just all sooooooo embarrassing.

Who is leaking these stories to the press and what do you think the Board will do about this?

Comments

• Options
    it also said that all the players want Pardew as the manager
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited December 2006
    We have become a laughing stock I think.

To the outside, Curbs looks like he has held this club together for the past 15 years and we are lost without him which is frustrating as i am sure that the majority of people on here would agree that we have been on a downward spiral for the past 2/3 years.

I'm a bit confused with all that is Charlton at the moment, i wish i was 10 again and didnt understand all the stuff that is going on!

"The dressing room was quiet. The players are disappointed. They're not happy with it and they will have a sad weekend. We went over why things went wrong, but a lot of them were things we've been saying for a long time."

Well sort it out then
  • Options
    will les step down for the good of the club cos it's a bit embarrassing now
  • Options
    Saw that in the pub. Went on about how Pardew is coming very soon. No sense of irony that on the opposite page the new WHU chairman was going on about Why Pardew had to go.

To be honest are the stories being leaked or just made up. How many stories did we hear about fall outs under Curbs and Dowie. Every other player had fallen out with Curbs and no one went to TGIs which "proved" Dowie had lost the team.

Trouble is if the club deny this story then they have to deny every story that comes out or be accused of "must be true as you're not denying it like the last one" so they feel better to keep stum. Sometimes I wish they would come and out and tell the full story but that's not the sort of people they are.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Eltham_addick[/cite]it also said that all the players want Pardew as the manager

Where do they get this bollox from?
  • Options
    Pardew's interview with Sky. Did anyone see that?

Was very strange indeed, they offered him mutual consent and he rejected.

Was very supportive of the chairman, curbs, fans and players.

Has a "sneaky feeling" that he would manage West Ham in the future again.

Though it was a very surreal interview
  • Options
    Pardew cannot help us out of this mess.
    Back Reed.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad Spinner[/cite]Pardew cannot help us out of this mess.
    Back Reed.

Its true SS, you are dead right. Its not the manager, or the board, its those shitting petulant arseole players thats to blame! Some of the most inept performances i have seen to date! Reading away still does it for me, that was the day we went down, that performance was woefull, utter pants, total toilet.

Chumpionship, here we come
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad Spinner[/cite]Pardew cannot help us out of this mess.
    Back Reed.

I want to Salad, i really want to. There has never been a Charlton manager in my lifetime i have no backed, and its my nature to give him 100%.

But while my heart is saying that is correct, i cannot get away from the fact my head is saying rather loudly he is not the right man for this situation. No where near the right man.

The worrying thing is I can see this getting a lot worse before it starts getting better.

How can a club that has been run so well for such a long time, become such a shambles in such a short place of time ?
  • Options
    I think the players need to see what it's doing to us, the fans.

Henry - can you arrange for a few of us to go to the training ground, speak to the players and explain exactly what this club means to us? Why we cheer and why we boo. That we don't mind the result so much so long as they play with their hearts. We might get through to a few of them....

Also....are all the new players still told of our history, shown the video that Curbs used to show potential new signings? If only they understood....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What a superb idea
  • Options
    where is it, italy or somewhere where the fans are in charge and just storm down the ground and tell the players wot for! sod asking for permission off henry, get down there now!

i am actually in one of my "letter writing" moods. last year some people may recall i wrote to roman abromovich, peter kenyon and some other chelsea geezer about the extortionate prices they were charging. i might write a letter to each of the players who took part on saturday to let them know a few thoughts of a few thousand people that pay to go and watch week in week out. I know it'll do no good, but its good to have a good old rant sometimes. and who knows, one of them might just take notice!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Saw that in the pub. Went on about how Pardew is coming very soon. No sense of irony that on the opposite page the new WHU chairman was going on about Why Pardew had to go.

To be honest are the stories being leaked or just made up. How many stories did we hear about fall outs under Curbs and Dowie. Every other player had fallen out with Curbs and no one went to TGIs which "proved" Dowie had lost the team.

Trouble is if the club deny this story then they have to deny every story that comes out or be accused of "must be true as you're not denying it like the last one" so they feel better to keep stum. Sometimes I wish they would come and out and tell the full story but that's not the sort of people they are.

You don't need to read it in the papers, the evidence is there before your eyes. Was that performance against Liverpool really one of a side playing for it's manager?

I think the answer to that one says more about what is going on behind the scenes than an article in a sunday tabloid...
  • Options
    Fact is when your in the shit pile, newspapers will make this stuff up to fit what they see, doesn't really matter if its true, lack of confidence will have the same effect. Having said all that I am not all the convinced by Reed, although I didn't think we were as bad as people are saying on Saturday. Faye, however should be taken out and shot quite frankly.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]I think the players need to see what it's doing to us, the fans.

Henry - can you arrange for a few of us to go to the training ground, speak to the players and explain exactly what this club means to us? Why we cheer and why we boo. That we don't mind the result so much so long as they play with their hearts. We might get through to a few of them....

Also....are all the new players still told of our history, shown the video that Curbs used to show potential new signings? If only they understood....

I'm not sure that this would be appreciated but I will think about it and how it could be made to work. If anyone has ideas then please help me out. It would be after Xmas when we may have had a turn around of players (here's hoping and no I have no idea who's coming or going before you ask) but that might actually be the best time to do it.

Not sure about the video either. I doubt it but I would like them to watch the back to the Valley DVD.

Where I think it falls down is that if the players are the lazy, money grabbing, don't give a toss bunch of wasters that some (not me!) are saying will they do more than just nod at the right times when a load of "billy Bunters" come down to the training ground? Also the press and other fans will have a field day "Reed can't motivate them so fans have to", " desperate Charlton give into yobs" and Oracle will be going on about "only the clique allowed, no real fans like him"

If people want to try this I'll ask Les Reed and the press office. Thing is it will have to be controlled. It can't be just be anyone turn up and have a rant and then let down the tyres on their Bentleys and it's no good if your only going to gawp and get autographs.

Really not sure if it is practical but I wish it could be made to work.
  • Options
    I'm considering writing a letter to Matt Holland - telling him to keep hold of that armband even if he has to break Luke's legs to do it.

Did you see him as soon as he put it on? He was geeing them all up, shouting and directing corner defending from the goal line. I don't think I've ever seen Luke do that. He may not be the player he was a couple of seasons ago, but at least he seems to want it - he's even been tackling people!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]I'm considering writing a letter to Matt Holland - telling him to keep hold of that armband even if he has to break Luke's legs to do it.

Did you see him as soon as he put it on? He was geeing them all up, shouting and directing corner defending from the goal line. I don't think I've ever seen Luke do that. He may not be the player he was a couple of seasons ago, but at least he seems to want it - he's even been tackling people!

I agree with what you say Simon but the cynic in me is aware that he knows firstly that his Premiership days are over and secondly that he is out of contract at the end of the season. He is therefore playing for a new contract in the Championship. At least he IS playing though, by his standards, which is more than most of them.
  • Options
    I think its a great idea, but i don't think it would work.

There is very little that can be said without it turning into an argument, and could end up polarising the players that do care against the fans and the club if it went the wrong way.

The players read the papers, read sites like this, and will know exactly what the fans think.

Only themselves can change the mentality, and a couple of inarticulate effers and blinders won't have the desired impact that we would want.
  • Options
    I think the players were made pretty well aware of the fans views on Saturday..
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]I'm considering writing a letter to Matt Holland - telling him to keep hold of that armband even if he has to break Luke's legs to do it.

I agree with what you say Simon but the cynic in me is aware that he knows firstly that his Premiership days are over and secondly that he is out of contract at the end of the season. He is therefore playing for a new contract in the Championship. At least he IS playing though, by his standards, which is more than most of them.

It's just a shame that his "standards" are so woefully low.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]Fact is when your in the shit pile, newspapers will make this stuff up to fit what they see, doesn't really matter if its true, lack of confidence will have the same effect. Having said all that I am not all the convinced by Reed, although I didn't think we were as bad as people are saying on Saturday. Faye, however should be taken out and shot quite frankly.

Faye played whilst ill which shows some commitment. He made a couple of blatant howlers, giving away that corner and passing straight out of play, but he stood up to be counted even though not fully fit. That sort of spirit is what we need at the moment.
  • Options
    Even if a bunch of fans went to the training ground to show the players what it means to us, they wouldn't understand anyhow. During their teenage/early adult years when most of us develop into normal caring proud adults, they had every need catered for, all the material trappings that most only dream about and are given the sense that somehow they are 'above' us poor less talented supporters.

I don't particularly rate Matt Holland as a player but you only have to hear the guy speak to know he's got an IQ that at least allows him to appreciate some of the above. As for the likes of Young, Thomas, Ambrose....forget it.
  • Options
    I wasn't suggesting that some of the effers and blinders go along, but someone who can speak (relatively) intelligently and passionately about the club. If they can be made to see it through our eyes (get them to imagine it was happening at their boyhood club) and try to put-in the effort that they would if playing for that club...
  • Options
    I think we could do with a manager who effs and blinds a bit. Oops, we used to have one.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]I wasn't suggesting that some of the effers and blinders go along, but someone who can speak (relatively) intelligently and passionately about the club. If they can be made to see it through our eyes (get them to imagine it was happening attheirboyhood club) and try to put-in the effort that they would if playing for that club...

I fear you would be wasting you breath. In most cases, loyalty, while highly prized by fans, is a commodity that few players possess.

What do they care if we go down, there's always another club that will pay for their services and if not, there's always the watertight £25K a week contract to keep them warm at night...
  • Options
    If we lose to Wycombe I'll be down the training ground first thing on Wednesday with my cricket bat and monkey wrench. I only live around the corner.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]

The players read the papers, read sites like this, and will know exactly what the fans think.

I wouldn't be so sure - language barriers, and the English ones probably couldn't give a toss what ANYONE thinks apart from their "advisors".
  • Options
    I'm all for Italian Ultra way of dealing with it, turn up at the training ground and throw bricks at them, nice chorus of 'you're not fit to wear the shirt'

And if that don't work, public executions of players.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]I'm all for Italian Ultra way of dealing with it, turn up at the training ground and throw bricks at them, nice chorus of 'you're not fit to wear the shirt'

And if that don't work, public executions of players.

Have you ever thought of running for Supporters' Director. A winning manifesto if ever I heard one.
  • Options
    yeah, thought it might appeal to the hang and flog lot on the Valley Express