Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Swine Flu - How worried are you?

Saw the first advert on TV about preventing Flu germs spreading with a Swine Flu hotline number to ring.

Experts on radio yesterday felt confident that a vaccine could be found and that the UK is prepared.

Are they being over-optimistic or is this being overblown in the same way as CJD, SARS and Bird Flu?

A. Not worried at all. It's all a fuss over nothing. Flu happens all the time

B. Slightly concerned but it's not going to be as bad as some say

C. I'm worried and I'm going to take reasonable precautions such as taking a vaccine and buying a mask

D. I'm Sh******* myself more than a Palace fan in the Con Club on matchday.

Comments

• B for me but thats mainly as i'm going to Cuba in 3 weeks and I don't want anything to stop that.

250,000 - 500,000 people die from flu every year so I don't consider this to be the new plague unless it mutates into something that cannot be treated.

The media hype is amazing and quite frankly doing my head in.
  • B, but more for my little son than myself. I think average joe will be fine but it will hit the very young and old members of society.

Generally though, I think it's being hugely overblown
  • Was planning my honeymoon for Cancun.....definitely not now, even if it does clear up by next summer.
  • B/C

Something like this happening is pretty inevitable until we change the way we tackle disease (i.e. hammer them with drugs till they mutate); and also globalisation which allows these things to spread rapidly.

Does make one worried however with a kiddie on the way etc.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]B for me but thats mainly as i'm going to Cuba in 3 weeks and I don't want anything to stop that.

250,000 - 500,000 people die from flu every year so I don't consider this to be the new plague unless it mutates into something that cannot be treated.

The media hype is amazing and quite frankly doing my head in.

I thought it was 12,000 people a year die from Flu but I may be wrong.

IMO it's massively overhyped (unless there issomething we are not being told)

For me it's an A but I am worried about my 9month old daughter being prone
  • edited April 2009
    Like most things in the omnipresent media it is overblown and manna from heaven for the likes of Sky News and the BBC's pale imitator news channel who need to fill their 24 hour slots. And it gives Gordon and his drones another excuse to tell us what to do.
  • edited April 2009
    I heard this strain is more likely to affect 20-50 age group with active immune systems, will check though, not as dangerous as bird flu though
  • Not particularly, but what people have to remember with the masks is that it does not stop you catching it, it just prevents the wearer from spreading their germs etc.
  • A for me.
  • A - Totally overblown I think.
    As was the bird flu etc

better not stop my honeymoon to barbado at end of June.
  • Sponsored links:

• what was the other health scare between SARs and Bird Flu?
  • E - i havent a clue what is going to happen with it and will worry about it if it hits London - or if it jumps back to birds cos then the do do really hits the pan!
  • I'll get one of those masks for the missus
  • [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]I'll get one of those masks for the missus

Lady Irving works in an operating theatre. I'll see if I can get a job lot to sell on Sunday.
  • My figures are worldwide Swis.
  • edited April 2009
    [cite]Posted By: SE10Addick[/cite]E - Coli
    A for me
  • I don't work in central london, but pop in for client meetings and rehearsals 2-4 times a week.

Drove in last night and couldn't believe the number of people wearing masks..

A/B for me but totally agree with pilchard..
  • I have got ManSwine flu currently.
  • Conversely I think a more pertinent question would be.........In the words of Will Ferrell,"if you had the choice between Mad Cow disease and being the leading scientist in your field what would you choose?"
  • A/B for me. A guy came in to work on Monday and he'd just returned from Mexico last Saturday. Was sent home by HR, no-one here was particularly bothered.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: StanmoreAddick[/cite]I don't work in central london, but pop in for client meetings and rehearsals 2-4 times a week.

Drove in last night and couldn't believe the number of people wearing masks..

A/B for me but totally agree with pilchard..

Really, was in Soho yesterday and then walked back to Victoria. Didn't see one person wearing one.
  • I'd wear one of these ....
  • [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]B, but more for my little son than myself. I think average joe will be fine but it will hit the very young and old members of society.

Generally though, I think it's being hugely overblown

Pretty much that to a tee. Both my kids are either the same age or younger than the boy who died in Texas so it does make me a little concerned for them!
  • Tavistock square about 6.30- saw at least 3 during my 100 yard walk, funnily enough to the BMA building.

Maybe there were more worried about catching other stuff there?? :-)
  • 'The declaration of phase 5 is a strong signal that a pandemic is imminent and that the time to finalize the organization, communication, and implementation of the planned mitigation measures is short,' WHO said.

Phase 6 would indicate a full-scale global pandemic.
  • I've asked this before but why are The Who getting involved?
  • http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/97330/Killer-Pig-Flu-Fear-In-Britain
  • edited April 2009
    I think the whole of humanity will be wiped out by it :-(

The Pigs are going to rule the world
  • B

Just take precaustions and have a box of tissues to hand and make sure your hands are clean. We've been handed telephone and multi purpose wipes at work to keep our keyboards and handsets clean.
  • I'm between B and C

Went to Mexico in January, Wife and I felt ill when we got back but put it down to jetlag. Now we're wondering if we may have had a version of this 'flu. Does anyone know if they can check to see if, A) we've had it and B) if we're now immune?