Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

St Georges Day

yes when whispers go wrong 307.

Comments

• Options
    moi???

(is this a whisper error?)
  • Options
    lol
  • Options
    lol

Keeping on topic, seems to be a bit of a push on St Georges day this year, finally. Spitalfields market has an english theme day planned and I see various places having events. Also read that government buildings have been ordered to fly the St George's cross.
  • Options
    See you all down Trax
  • Options
    when is it again?

;)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]See you all down Trax

I'll be there
  • Options
    I used to always go to The Lamb Tavern in Leadenhall Market on St. George's day, in fact I used to go there nearly every working day! Unfortunately the pub has gone rapidly downhill since the Clarke family left are 60 years.
    They used to have Morris Dancing there, maybe the still do. I noticed the market is decked out with bunting and flags.
    I'll be having a flaggon or two of Kent's finest ale from Britains oldest brewery in a nearby establishment.
  • Options
    This year will be the first time I have not had the day off for St georg'es in a while as cannot afford another day like last years !
  • Options
    All a bit meh to me. The Irish have paddies day and the rest of the world seems to love it. You can't contrive interest in a festival out of sheer jealousy. The man in question was a Turk who's most famous in Portugal, never visited the UK and is most famous for killing an animal that doesn't exist, so where all the English fervour for his deeds comes from, is a mystery to me. I reckib it'd be more relevant if they cannonised Jade (it could happen).

Anyway, If you've got to do an online petition to celebrate something then it tells me there's a serious lack of anyone giving a sh1t. If individuals think it's important and relevant to them then they should celebrate away. But, if they need a beer company to sponsor bunting before you do something that you really care about, then I'm guessing it's not that important to them, really.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]All a bit meh to me. The Irish have paddies day and the rest of the world seems to love it. You can't contrive interest in a festival out of sheer jealousy. The man in question was a Turk who's most famous in Portugal, never visited the UK and is most famous for killing an animal that doesn't exist, so where all the English fervour for his deeds comes from, is a mystery to me. I reckib it'd be more relevant if they cannonised Jade (it could happen).

Anyway, If you've got to do an online petition to celebrate something then it tells me there's a serious lack of anyone giving a sh1t. If individuals think it's important and relevant to them then they should celebrate away. But, if they need a beer company to sponsor bunting before you do something that you really care about, then I'm guessing it's not that important to them, really.

Agree with this post 100%
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]All a bit meh to me. The Irish have paddies day and the rest of the world seems to love it. You can't contrive interest in a festival out of sheer jealousy. The man in question was a Turk who's most famous in Portugal, never visited the UK and is most famous for killing an animal that doesn't exist, so where all the English fervour for his deeds comes from, is a mystery to me. I reckib it'd be more relevant if they cannonised Jade (it could happen).

Whose contriving it, some of us have been actively supporting St Georges day for over 20+ years, its only recently the media & others have started mentioning it and promoting it to the masses as they now see it as cool and acceptable and not a right wing beerfest...and BTW, St Patrick was Welsh.
  • Options
    Never been celebrated to any great extent in this country before so I think "contrived" is a good word to describe the kerfuffle about this non event now.
  • Options
    ShootersHIllmumble are you english ?
  • Options
    I know loads of people who celebrate St george's day & have done for years, it's ridiculous having two bank Holidays in May the should make St George's day replace the first May Bank Holiday. Plastic Paddy Day should also be BANNED in this country!
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]
    some of us have been actively supporting St Georges day for over 20+ years

I think we're agreeing 100% DA9. I did say that if people want to celebrate it and it was relevant to them then it was great.

Whose contriving it
    [\quote]
    Well, people putting up online petitions, politicians trying to score political points, restaurants who are coming up with special St Georges day menus, brewers and beer companies (many foreign owned, all smelling a couple of extra quid)... You kind of answer this yourself:
    its only recently the media & others have started mentioning it and promoting it to the masses as they now see it as cool and acceptable and not a right wing beerfest.
    [\quote]
    BTW, St Patrick was Welsh
    [\quote]
    I did not know this...

EDIT NOTE: EFFING HTML OPERATES IN A WEIRD WAY IN THIS SITE, APOLOGIES FOR THE MESS
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Never been celebrated to any great extent in this country before so I think "contrived" is a good word to describe the kerfuffle about this non event now.

Maybe, just maybe, people have realised that they can be proud of their history, culture & nationality, after years of being told that to fly the St George flag was racist and insulting to others, why, even Gordon Brown says we can, yippee.

You seem to have an issue with this for whatever reason, so whatever is said you will knock it, but I shall still be out celebrating with my fellow countrymen, whether they are recent converts to the day or not.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]ShootersHIllmumble are you english ?

100% for 53 years .......Why ? Is that important ?
  • Options
    I loved John Gaunt who bemoaned the 'gurdian readin' 'limp wristed lefty liberals' (who also liked bendy busses) as destroyning this praad nation and 'made it shamefull' to be British.

He was quality...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]This year will be the first time I have not had the day off for St georg'es in a while as cannot afford another day like last years !

Stop being a woman. :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU16[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]This year will be the first time I have not had the day off for St georg'es in a while as cannot afford another day like last years !

Stop being a woman. :-)

Stop being a Student !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Never been celebrated to any great extent in this country before so I think "contrived" is a good word to describe the kerfuffle about this non event now.

Maybe, just maybe, people have realised that they can be proud of their history, culture & nationality, after years of being told that to fly the St George flag was racist and insulting to others, why, even Gordon Brown says we can, yippee.

You seem to have an issue with this for whatever reason, so whatever is said you will knock it, but I shall still be out celebrating with my fellow countrymen, whether they are recent converts to the day or not.

Its nothing to do with the recent and perverse hijacking of the cross of St. George by right wing morons. My stance on this comes from the fact that in all my 53 years as an englishman (Shag) nobody has given a sh1t about celebrating St. George or his day.
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited April 2009
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]
    Posted By: DA9[/cite]
    some of us have been actively supporting St Georges day for over 20+ years,
    [\quote]
    I think we're agreeing 100% DA9. I did say that if people want to celebrate it and it was relevant to them then it was great.
    Whose contriving it
    [\quote]

Well, people putting up online petitions, politicians trying to score political points, restaurants who are coming up with special St Georges day menus, brewers and beer companies (many foreign owned, all smelling a couple of extra quid)... You kind of answer this yourself:
    its only recently the media & others have started mentioning it and promoting it to the masses as they now see it as cool and acceptable and not a right wing beerfest.
    [\quote]
    BTW, St Patrick was Welsh
    [\quote]
    I did not know this...

Taken from another website......

Though Patrick's birthplace is debatable, most scholars seem to agree that he was born in the area of southeastern Scotland known as Strathclyde, a former Celtic kingdom and Welsh-speaking at the time. (However, a few scholars continue to regard St. David's in Pembrokeshire as the saint's birthplace; the tiny city was formerly directly in the path of missionary and trade routes to Ireland).

Some say St George was either Turkish/Syrian/Greek, or at least of middle eastern origin
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]
    Its nothing to do with the recent and perverse hijacking of the cross of St. George by right wing morons. My stance on this comes from the fact that in all my 53 years as an englishman (Shag) nobody has given a sh1t about celebrating St. George or his day.

Well why don't you carry on not celebrating it & let us that want to do so...Fair enough ?
  • Options

The reason why St. Paddies is so big is due to Guinness Marketing. Personally I prefer to celebrate it with people who care for the day rather than want an excuse to wear a silly hat.

And the talk about us not celebrating it was boring 10 years ago!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]

Well why don't you carry on not celebrating it & let us that want to do so...Fair enough ?

Why don`t YOU carry on celebrating it and let those of us who don`t not...Fair enough ? ;0)
  • Options

Sorry mate ( shootershillguru ) I just don't get it ? You've not celebrated in all of your 53 years of being english but when people mention that they are going to do just that , the whole thing is a ' non event ' ?
  • Options

Thats the point, maybe people now realise that they can celebrate it without being labelled a racist, as per recent years.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The Thread is about Celebrating St George's Day you have come onto it & tried to put a downer on it, so please stop posting on this thread as you come across as a Palace fan saying they don't care about us !
  • Options
    The reason why St. Paddies is so big is due to Guinness Marketing. Personally I prefer to celebrate it with people who care for the day rather than want an excuse to wear a silly hat.

And the talk about us not celebrating it was boring 10 years ago!

The other reason being the large number of irish in america (about 3million with irish descent) and the large number of american's who think/wish they were irish (30million+) combined with american having no patron saint and therefore latching on to st patrick's day. If there's one thing the american's do well it's party, and their dominance of modern media explains why st patricks day is so big. As an example it's the only saints day that get's any coverage on us tv shows, hollywood films, etc.