Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Maurice Jarre, composer of "Dr Zhivago" dies RIP

PARIS (AFP) — Maurice Jarre, Oscar-winning composer of music for films including "Doctor Zhivago" and "Lawrence of Arabia", died in Los Angeles aged 84.

The death of Jarre, who won a third Oscar for his score for "A Passage to India", was announced to AFP by the manager of his son, electronic music pioneer Jean-Michel Jarre.

The elder Jarre wrote the music for more than 150 films by great directors including John Frankenheimer, Alfred Hitchcock, John Huston and Luchino Visconti.

In 1952 he wrote his first score, for the short "Hotel des Invalides," at the request of director Georges Franju.

Maurice Jarre, who settled in the United States in the mid-1960s, also wrote symphonic music and music for theatre and ballet.

Comments

• A true legend in his field. Wrote some brilliant, brilliant music

RIP
  • Just looked him up on Wiki, didn't realise he'd written so many scores, or rather the films he'd written scores for, e.g. The Man Who Would Be King, a favourite of ours. He is quoted as saying 'When I die there will be a final waltz playing in my head that only I can hear'. Hope it happened that way. RIP.