Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Will Patrons Kindly Refrain....

Ah, happy memories

Comments

• Options
    I had to ask my dad what heavy petting was... when I was a kid I thought it had somthing to do with animals and I was kind of right he he
  • Options
    LOL
  • Options
    ..........stroking.

This one could run and run.
  • Options
    Seeing that poster immediately brought back the smell of the Gents toilets on the poolside at Plumstead baths......YUK!
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    You're sooo 70's. This is the new one innit bruv......
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Seeing that poster immediately brought back the smell of the Gents toilets on the poolside at Plumstead baths......YUK!

How cold was in there?

So cold, I couldn't find it, to use it.
  • Options
    Good one Stone.

I bought a copy of Great Lengths about British Swimming Pools at the weekend. Very good book but no mention of Plumstead Baths where I learnt to swim.

Without looking it up can anyone remember the name of the street where the entrance to the baths was (not Plumstead High St) and what was upstairs?
  • Options
    I hated Plumstead Baths but my swimming club trained there on a Thursday evening and I had to go.
    Woolwich, Greenwich and Eltham baths were much better. Then there was Crook Log and Swanley, two lovely warm modern pools.
    How about Erith? The big long warm thing you used to sit on. What was that all about?
  • Options
    Plumstead baths with the glass ceilings.. was grusome. remember when the waterfront opend it was a different world. Greenwich baths was the best learnt to swim there through school, now its the 'fitness' pool..

Speranza street H.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]Plumstead baths with the glass ceilings.. was grusome. remember when the waterfront opend it was a different world. Greenwich baths was the best learnt to swim there through school, now its the 'fitness' pool..

Speranza street H.

Correct. I wonder who Speranza was/is?

It was grim. Still had a laundry at the back in the 60s. Crook log was better but Plumstead was easier to get to and there was a free pass you could get from School.

But what was upstairs?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There was a viewing gallery upstairs around the pool, there was a big Cafe at the end of the building. There was a small pool and also a Turkish Bath and a Slipper Bath.
  • Options
    The worst pool I encountered was the one at the children’s home in Sidcup, The Hollies.
    The warmest, Abbey Wood School.
    My dad taught swimming at Abbey Wood and Eaglesfield YC's.
    He taught me at Plumstead on a Saturday morning in the late 60's. If I did well he'd buy me a toy form Ali Barbas toy shop in Lakedale Road, next to the fire station.
    I began swimming competitively at 6 and continued till I was 14, at one stage I was training 6 days a week.
  • Options
    Speranza cant find much must be Italian or somthing so would imagine there was some italian connection to that part of plumstead.
  • Options
    plumstead baths 1912, can see a young Henry middle left ;-)

plumstead-baths-1912-350.jpg
  • Options
    Upstairs was the Borough Museum with a huge relief modal of the area.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Upstairs was the Borough Museum with a huge relief modal of the area.

That was the library.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Upstairs was the Borough Museum with a huge relief modal of the area.

That was the library.

Where was the Library then? Could have sworn it was upstairs of the pool.

The blue remembered hills of youth hey : - )
  • Options
    the Library is still on the highstreet still there and still has the musuem in it, me and my dad had a nose around when we moved to plumstead in 2001 quite good passes an hour easily if you like your local histroy as we do.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

That was the library.

The blue remembered hills of youth hey : - )[/quote] At your age Henry, even your memories are in black and white.
  • Options
    Doh..

Frederick%20Alfred%20Croft.jpg
  • Options
    I learnt to swim with my school at York Hall, Bethnal Green.
    I didnt learn to box there though.

I then moved to Dartford and got my 1 mile badge at Fairfield pool.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

That was the library.

The blue remembered hills of youth hey : - )[/quote] At your age Henry, even your memories are in black and white.

Oi! Forty Flipping Seven I am :- )

So without looking it up where does Blue Remembered Hills come from and no it's not the Dennis Potter play great as that was.
  • Options
    THOSE BLUE REMEMBERED HILLS

Into my heart an air that kills

From yon far country blows:

What are those blue remembered hills,

What spires, what farms are those?

That is the Land of Lost Content,

I see it shining plain,

The happy highways where I went,

And cannot come again.
  • Options
    who remembers Martins Grove in Crayford?

now that was very cold & you had to dodge the floaters..................eeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: KBslittlesis[/cite]who remembers Martins Grove in Crayford?

2683750487_e8b420b671.jpg?v=1216560908
  • Options
    You looked that up Adam! : - )
  • Options
    omg!

thats KB hugging his knees ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]You looked that up Adam! : - )

never ;-)