Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

best player in the world

Comments

• The good ones of old would be good ones now, as their skills would also be enhanced by current training methods, diets etc.
    You cant say, "ah but he used have a diet of red meat and 20 Woodbine, he would be knackered after 45 minutes these days", and ignore the fact that if they were around now they would have all the modern technology enhancing their skills.
  • bobmunro said:

Ronaldo and Messi are the best two players to ever play the game. Don't think it is possible to say one is better than the other although, of course, you might prefer one over the other for a variety of reasons.

Bold statement!
    But bang on the money. Try and name one better than either.

Maradona
  • Jensen
  • edited April 2018

bobmunro said:

Ronaldo and Messi are the best two players to ever play the game. Don't think it is possible to say one is better than the other although, of course, you might prefer one over the other for a variety of reasons.

Bold statement!
    But bang on the money. Try and name one better than either.

In my lifetime - Best, Pele, Maradona, Ronaldo - then we're into CR and Messi.

Subjective opinions is what football is all about !!

I would add that at this moment in time Ronaldo edges it for me.
  • edited April 2018

I seem to recall,Moore,Greaves,Adams,all having drink problems,all would have walked in to any of todays premier top teams.

Stumbled rather than walked!
  • Ronaldo for me.
  • I could accept a cheating selfish prick score 23 in 12!!! Messi's no saint that's for sure!

Messi is undoubtedly more of a team player, I do get the impression he would be more than happy to miss 6 open goals if Barca won the game, whereas Ronaldo would be stropping left, right and centre.

But in terms of actual quality how important they are to their sides, it's too close to call. Ronaldo might get the edge just because he has done it in England too. Harsh on Messi but he has decided not to prove himself away from Barca.

Ronaldo has won a major international tournament too, in probably a weaker Portugal team than Messi has had the luxury of playing in with Argentina.
    Both players are astonishing - looking at the goal stats, Ronaldo has 568 in 755 club games, Messi 554 in 660. Those are stats which make other quality players look ordinary, especially as neither are just "goalscorers"

However to be great, you have to achieve for your country, and Messi's lack of success with Argentina is the one "blot" on his place in footballing history. No World Cups and his goal scoring ratio is relatively poor as well, 61 in 123 games.
    Fuck me. 61/ 123 is absolutely unbelievable at international level.

• I could accept a cheating selfish prick score 23 in 12!!! Messi's no saint that's for sure!

Messi is undoubtedly more of a team player, I do get the impression he would be more than happy to miss 6 open goals if Barca won the game, whereas Ronaldo would be stropping left, right and centre.

But in terms of actual quality how important they are to their sides, it's too close to call. Ronaldo might get the edge just because he has done it in England too. Harsh on Messi but he has decided not to prove himself away from Barca.

Ronaldo has won a major international tournament too, in probably a weaker Portugal team than Messi has had the luxury of playing in with Argentina.
    Both players are astonishing - looking at the goal stats, Ronaldo has 568 in 755 club games, Messi 554 in 660. Those are stats which make other quality players look ordinary, especially as neither are just "goalscorers"

However to be great, you have to achieve for your country, and Messi's lack of success with Argentina is the one "blot" on his place in footballing history. No World Cups and his goal scoring ratio is relatively poor as well, 61 in 123 games.

But relatively poor in comparison to Messi's club scoring ratio. Looking at the stats many players (excluding those who play in weak qualifying groups) have better figures. Just from South America

Pele 77/91
    Brazilian Ronaldo 62/98
    Romario 55/70
    Batistuta 54/70
    Neymar 53/83
    Suarez 50/97

But relatively poor in comparison to Messi's club scoring ratio. Looking at the stats many players (excluding those who play in weak qualifying groups) have better figures. Just from South America

Pele 77/91
    Brazilian Ronaldo 62/98
    Romario 55/70
    Batistuta 54/70
    Neymar 53/83
    Suarez 50/97
    They are pretty much all main strikers though. Messi isn't. He plays out wide, or as an attacking midfield, or off the striker, but never as their main central striker. What's his international scoring record like compared to Maradona?
  • Sponsored links:

Pele 77/91
    Brazilian Ronaldo 62/98
    Romario 55/70
    Batistuta 54/70
    Neymar 53/83
    Suarez 50/97
    They are pretty much all main strikers though. Messi isn't. He plays out wide, or as an attacking midfield, or off the striker, but never as their main central striker. What's his international scoring record like compared to Maradona?
    Relatively poor (34 in 91) but then his club stats are far worse than Messi's

Pele 77/91
    Brazilian Ronaldo 62/98
    Romario 55/70
    Batistuta 54/70
    Neymar 53/83
    Suarez 50/97
    Gerd Muller 68 in 62 for West Germany.

Club record for Bayern 398 in 453

Not too shabby!
  • In my lifetime...

1. C. Ronaldo
    2. Messi
    3. Zidane

The 90s/00s had some really great players... Henry, Ronaldo, Batistuta spring to mind, but none dominated for as long as those two are now.
  • What amazes me about the current top players like Ronaldo and Messi is how injury free they stay. Their physical conditioning must be amazing
  • Hat trick for Messi last night but the more impressive stat was that he's now scored from outside the area in 6 consecutive league games.
  • When he was at his peak it has to be Nicholas Bendtner! (Well, according to him anyway).
  • When he was at his peak it has to be Nicholas Bendtner! (Well, according to him anyway).

He's pants.
  • YTS1978 said:
    Pele only 3rd!

It's really hard to compare players with such different roles, especially defenders, as they don't have the glory and obvious stats goalscorers do, and also don't have the spectacular saves that keepers make. Bobby Moore for example has just one famous tackle (Pele in 1970)
  • To say Messi or Ronaldo are the best ever,means you could not have seen the great George best,he played on mudheaps,without the physical protection that players get today.I shudder to think how good he would have been today,he could have played in any era,could todays superstars play under the conditions that he did.

What.....pissed? He would not have had the discipline to make it in today’s fitness first game.
    Best is the greatest player I have ever seen. In today’s game, with better pitches, boots, ball, sports science and protection from referees he would have shone brightly

• Sponsored links:

• Don’t get how people say Ronaldo is more complete, Messi is as good as a CDM a CM a CAM and a striker when he plays, never stops moving a passing the ball. Ronaldo on the other hand made his living standing there screaming for the ball and throwing a strop when he didn’t get it. Don’t get me wrong, I have both of them in my to pick 5, but being able to header a ball doesn’t make you complete.
  • To say Messi or Ronaldo are the best ever,means you could not have seen the great George best,he played on mudheaps,without the physical protection that players get today.I shudder to think how good he would have been today,he could have played in any era,could todays superstars play under the conditions that he did.

What.....pissed? He would not have had the discipline to make it in today’s fitness first game.
    Best is the greatest player I have ever seen. In today’s game, with better pitches, boots, ball, sports science and protection from referees he would have shone brightly

Pretty much 1 in 3 for both club and country.

Great player no doubt and probably the best these isles have ever produced but holding him up near either Messi or C. Ronaldo is ludicrous.

• Ronaldo is a douche. Remember cringing so hard watching him on the touchline in the euro final. Helmet
  • YTS1978 said:
    Van Basten. What a player. Reading that just reminded me how early his career ended, only 28 when Basile Boli fucked his ankle up.

One of my earliest football memories was him destroying England at Euro 88 and then scoring that goal in the final.

• Both players are astonishing - looking at the goal stats, Ronaldo has 568 in 755 club games, Messi 554 in 660. Those are stats which make other quality players look ordinary, especially as neither are just "goalscorers"

I never get this argument. Ronaldo played about 5 minutes in the Euros final. Does this make Theo Zagorakis one if the greatest because he was the best player in the side that won Euro 2004?

It's close but Messi edges it.
  • It will be a shame if Messi does not prove himself over here, widely considered the strongest league in the world.

In my lifetime Dennis Bergkamp was the best player I have ever seen live.
  • When people argue whether Messi or Ronaldo are best ever...

• 259 in 491 says he wasn't the best, the quality of football has improved so much since players like Best, Maradonna and Pele were at their best!

Many won't agree I am sure, but the game has changed.
  • The best player in the world is me: it's just that I've never liked to show off.
  • Dazzler21 said:

259 in 491 says he wasn't the best, the quality of football has improved so much since players like Best, Maradonna and Pele were at their best!

Many won't agree I am sure, but the game has changed.

Are you saying that the ‘best’ is decided by goals per game ratio only?

Yes the game has certainly changed, but applying that criteria it could be argued that CR and Messi wouldn’t have been any good if they were born 30 or 40 years earlier. Or are you saying the game is better now and Best, Pele et al would have been poor if they had been born 30-40 years later?